Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 01:23 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am sorry but the media and economists they quote are always looking for something bad. That sells newspapers and draws clicks online. It is ridiculous. Yes, we do not have the rapidly expanding economy that other states have, but we also do not have the boom and bust economy they do either. During the last recession our state wide unemployment numbers did not go over 10%. Many other states did.

Also note that Hartford, our state's largest employment center, has been named as the fifth best place to find a job by Glassdoor. Major employers like Pratt & Whitney and Electric Boat are hiring thousands, as are their subcontractors and suppliers. What more do you want?

Instead of relying on the interpretation of our economy on some reporters and economists who rely on headlines to get paid, look at the actual numbers and what has been going on for the past several years. We have regained and exceeded all the private sector jobs lost in the recession. It is public sector jobs, the ones that are mostly paid for by our taxes, that have not recovered. Aren't those the jobs we don't want to grow? Isn't that how we keep our taxes from going up?

We have maintained our income levels as well. In fact the number of people earning more than $100,000 per year has gone up. If our economy is so dire, that number would have gone down.

Maybe our population has been generally stagnant but we are one of the most densely populated states in the country. Do we really want even more people jamming our state? I don't. Our roadways are crammed as it is. Enough with all the doom and gloom when it really is no where near as bad as the media and people here like to portray. Jay

https://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/laborsit.asp

Jay, you're completely right. Let's keep gaining our 10k a year jobs, keep increasing taxes on the people who work here and continue having failing Cities. CT is not a place made for growth, we have too many people anyway. Too true and you're completely correct. Connecticut is doing an AMAZING job. We have recovered all jobs plus some since the recession, ALL private sector too. Can you name any other state that has completed such an amazing task. I mean AMAZING!!. Great job!! Booming economy we have here.

Those "interpretation" of our economy by some reporters and economists is also correct too. I mean everyone knows that GLASSDOOR SURVEYS LISTS are way more reliable than the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics, a government agency). The BLS is just a bunch of economists and reporters interpreting our wonderful economy.

Thank you for proving me wrong.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:46 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I’m noticing that in my industry as well. On LinkedIn I’m connected to many recruiters in South Carolina and North Carolina. They post jobs all the time with base salary and many, if not all, are equal to what we make up here for me specific job.
Very common.

The Southeast is growing far more economically.

Lamont fortunately has acknowledged how horrible our economic growth has been.. I am not confident he will lead us properly to reverse that course, but acknowledging our plight is a big step.

In Lamont's defense, he is following a train wreck in Connecticut in Malloy, under whom we are the sole state not to regain all jobs lost during the Great Recession. But it's only been a decade!

Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
https://www.ctpost.com/business/danh...e-13673936.php

No, it isn't.... people move out of the state and often times CT employers do not fill the jobs. Long gone is the mentality that you have to stay in CT to receive the same wages...heck, you can leave the state and take a pay cut and still be ahead of the game often times.
True. I assume you are still enjoying your new home state, also.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:27 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Jay, you're completely right. Let's keep gaining our 10k a year jobs, keep increasing taxes on the people who work here and continue having failing Cities. CT is not a place made for growth, we have too many people anyway. Too true and you're completely correct. Connecticut is doing an AMAZING job. We have recovered all jobs plus some since the recession, ALL private sector too. Can you name any other state that has completed such an amazing task. I mean AMAZING!!. Great job!! Booming economy we have here.

Those "interpretation" of our economy by some reporters and economists is also correct too. I mean everyone knows that GLASSDOOR SURVEYS LISTS are way more reliable than the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics, a government agency). The BLS is just a bunch of economists and reporters interpreting our wonderful economy.

Thank you for proving me wrong.
Thank you agreeing with me.

I did not say that the BLS was unreliable. I said that the media and the economists they quote are quick to jump on the negative and make light of the positive. Why aren’t they noting that our unemployment rate is lower than the national average? Why do they ignore that we have regained more than 114% of the private sector jobs lost in the recession? Why do they ignore that it is public sector jobs that are not being added when those jobs are primarily paid by taxpayer dollars?

Why? Because positive news does not sell newspapers or get people to click on a story. Sorry but I am sick of it. Jay

Old 03-09-2019, 04:29 PM

https://www.cbia.com/news/issues-pol...-consequences/

I hope lawmakers heed this message. We can't afford to risk more job losses in retail or fast food. Already, a significant chunk of the Connecticut Post mall is either unused square footage, or non retail. It appears Stop & Shop is more likely to actually strike, and McD's are likely to add kiosks.

I have seen the damage to headcount in NYC due to its idiotic 67% minimum wage hike in just 3 years. I do not want Ct suffering the same affects.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Why do they ignore that we have regained more than 114% of the private sector jobs lost in the recession?
Because every other state did better than that. Its been ten years after all.

The lowest % in New England o/s of Ct is > 140% private sector jobs recovered. The national average is well over 200% recovered.

Now I do think it is fair to point out other states had an edge, as they did not have Malloy.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:10 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Fast food kiosks just makes me want to support local businesses more.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:43 PM

What alarms me most is while other states have gained double the jobs they lost in the Great Recession, thus having a cushion, we have no cushion. When another recession hits, and economists figure this great national run cannot last too many more years, we start with NO cushion.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What alarms me most is while other states have gained double the jobs they lost in the Great Recession, thus having a cushion, we have no cushion. When another recession hits, and economists figure this great national run cannot last too many more years, we start with NO cushion.
Maybe we do not need as big a cushion as other states. Remember that during the last recession our unemployment rate did not hit double digits. The states that are seeing such growth had significantly higher rates during the recession. It shows we have a strong economic base that weathers recessions well. Jay

Old 03-10-2019, 01:50 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Maybe we do not need as big a cushion as other states. Remember that during the last recession our unemployment rate did not hit double digits. The states that are seeing such growth had significantly higher rates during the recession. It shows we have a strong economic base that weathers recessions well. Jay

People also forget that our neighbor Rhode Island had the second highest unemployment rate behind Nevada during most of the recession. Ct never sunk that low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut