Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 06:59 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Yeah. If job opportunities are so great in CT, why can't I even get an interview? I just turned 56, that's why. A friend, He lost his job last August, just turned 57 and can't get a job interview. A woman at an organization I belong to, in her 50's, couldn't find work until she took in a roommate who found her a job where she works. Another person at the same organization took him around a year and a half to find a job...he is also in his 50's.

That's not Connecticut. That's everywhere. A big contributor is the impact on group health insurance rates when you hire older workers.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:48 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's not Connecticut. That's everywhere. A big contributor is the impact on group health insurance rates when you hire older workers.
Plus older workers are more likely to leave in a few years when they retire. Employers want to keep employees for as long as possible so someone that is approaching retirement age looks worse than younger workers. It is a problem many face all over the country, not just here. Jay

Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep, exactly. Plus, employers and hiring managers have always historically shown a huge bias towards hiring "younger demographics."

It's ingrained in our culture that fresh-faced, young folks are "better to have around," because of their energy and enthusiasm. It also makes everyone else feel younger, I think. LOL

Not saying it is right at all (completely wrong and illegal) but I understand the thought process behind it.
It's a shame too because I see it in my line of work daily. Clients want "under 35" often and it's never been a good thing.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 AM

570 posts, read 477,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Plus older workers are more likely to leave in a few years when they retire. Employers want to keep employees for as long as possible so someone that is approaching retirement age looks worse than younger workers. It is a problem many face all over the country, not just here. Jay

Sorry Jay..I don't think major employers have any regard for keeping people longer. I have seen a major regime in brief time at current place. It is about numbers. What employers (particurlary public traded) like is cheaper labor. If you are older being underpaid then you have as good a shot of staying as young person. Also I know no one talking about pending retirement at 45 - 55. You have 10- 20 more years which is a lifetime in today's employment market.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Sorry Jay..I don't think major employers have any regard for keeping people longer. I have seen a major regime in brief time at current place. It is about numbers. What employers (particurlary public traded) like is cheaper labor. If you are older being underpaid then you have as good a shot of staying as young person. Also I know no one talking about pending retirement at 45 - 55. You have 10- 20 more years which is a lifetime in today's employment market.
As someone who hired people for a major company in recent years, I can tell you, whether we like it or not, age is a consideration taken into account when someone is hired. And that includes today. They like cheap but they also do not want to be paying to rehire for the same position year after year. Most companies have a salary range assigned to a job. If there are comparable candidates, one older nearing retirement, and the other in their 40's, the company is going to go with the 40 year old. They aren't going to care if the one nearing retirement wants a bit higher salary as long as it is within the range they have. Jay

Old 03-22-2019, 12:32 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yep, exactly. Plus, employers and hiring managers have always historically shown a huge bias towards hiring "younger demographics."

It's ingrained in our culture that fresh-faced, young folks are "better to have around," because of their energy and enthusiasm. It also makes everyone else feel younger, I think. LOL

Not saying it is right at all (completely wrong and illegal) but I understand the thought process behind it.
It's a shame too because I see it in my line of work daily. Clients want "under 35" often and it's never been a good thing.
...and we "experienced workers" tend to be less willing to learn new things, to be less willing to put in extra effort, and generally don't play with the other kids.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:42 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
I work for small businesses, and they are more likely to hire people mid-40s to mid-50s, especially if the owners are older and don't have anyone to pass the business down to. They feel that people in that age range are for the most part, looking for a job to finish their years out in and are less likely to go job hopping in a few years. They know their stuff and are typically drama free and settled down in their lives. I've found this to be true since I went out on my own in 2004. I have worked in a number of industries with this mindset.

And since they are small businesses, there aren't as many other kids to get stuck playing with

Old 03-22-2019, 05:49 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
https://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/archive...aL68p_ljrE3U4w

It will be hard for businesses to stay, or to entice new business to move here.

In my experience, FMLA can be abused in the workplace and it has a trickle down to coworkers. They are forced to pick up the slack and in some cases employers must have interim/temporary/on call workers.

It will cost the employer far more then just the paid leave.

IMO....

Liberals fail to understand the law of unintended consequences. I see it daily. Since NYC minimum wage rose $6 in 3 years to $15, the same stores have far smaller headcounts in NYC vs Connecticut.

FMLA is no different when you try to radically increase the costs to employers.

We are incentivizing business to reduce staffing levels.

We are idiots for doing so.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:12 AM

898 posts, read 597,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and we "experienced workers" tend to be less willing to learn new things, to be less willing to put in extra effort, and generally don't play with the other kids.

Speak for yourself. If I get back to work with a small company, they will have to give me keys and the alarm codes.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:24 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
https://www.cbia.com/news/economy/tr...rowth-numbers/

Charts like this show our dreadful performance, so efficiently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut