Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
No mention of the benchmark jobs report?

Take a look, it is bleak.
I wouldn't get too concerned at this point ….most economists describe the feb number as 'fluky'...that said even if we were to use the number … the 3 month rolling average is 186,000 jobs per month .. 150,000 per month is considered healthy . In addition wage growth was twice the rate of inflation … haven't seen that in a while …. the feb number is cause for concern …. but hardly bleak.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:08 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
Revised employment data bad news for CT economy

https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti...8-13673449.php
Bull****. I swear the media and their economists are NEVER happy. The point is our unemployment rate, which is generally accepted as the best and easiest barometer of our economy is now at 3.8%. That is basically considered full employment. It is now under the national average. Thousands of jobs have been added to our economy. These are all facts. And they are still not satisfied? It is still not good enough? Come on now. What more do you want? Jay

Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Bull****. I swear the media and their economists are NEVER happy. The point is our unemployment rate, which is generally accepted as the best and easiest barometer of our economy is now at 3.8%. That is basically considered full employment. It is now under the national average. Thousands of jobs have been added to our economy. These are all facts. And they are still not satisfied? It is still not good enough? Come on now. What more do you want? Jay
Not to beat this thing to death, but the article you posted explained why our unemployment is low. Yes, low is good but doesn’t tell the whole story. A retirement position opens and a person fills it seems to be the most logical explanation. It’s not like we have a people moving here in droves and companies hiring in droves. Just seems like filling positions rather than expanding. The fact is CT gained 10,000 jobs total all of last year. Maybe that is good in terms of gains, idk. Seems low when the whole year we were told we gained 24k jobs and then opps sorry we are off by 100%.

Again, the economist for the State of CT even said, “this is concerning”.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:35 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
Revised employment data bad news for CT economy

https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti...8-13673449.php
Very bad news. Not a surprise.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:02 AM

266 posts, read 245,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Very bad news. Not a surprise.
https://www.ctpost.com/business/danh...e-13673936.php

No, it isn't.... people move out of the state and often times CT employers do not fill the jobs. Long gone is the mentality that you have to stay in CT to receive the same wages...heck, you can leave the state and take a pay cut and still be ahead of the game often times.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
https://www.ctpost.com/business/danh...e-13673936.php

No, it isn't.... people move out of the state and often times CT employers do not fill the jobs. Long gone is the mentality that you have to stay in CT to receive the same wages...heck, you can leave the state and take a pay cut and still be ahead of the game often times.
I’m noticing that in my industry as well. On LinkedIn I’m connected to many recruiters in South Carolina and North Carolina. They post jobs all the time with base salary and many, if not all, are equal to what we make up here for me specific job.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I’m noticing that in my industry as well. On LinkedIn I’m connected to many recruiters in South Carolina and North Carolina. They post jobs all the time with base salary and many, if not all, are equal to what we make up here for me specific job.
This has been my experience. In fact, we both got significant pay raises when we moved (both still in the same field). I have not found salaries to be any higher in CT than other metro areas.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This has been my experience. In fact, we both got significant pay raises when we moved (both still in the same field). I have not found salaries to be any higher in CT than other metro areas.
I have seen a lot of interest for jobs around Charlotte. My wife and I are headed down there in May to check it out.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:50 AM

413 posts, read 317,567 times
Quote:

Both those states are growing economically. They drives competition for people and that drives up wages.

Connecticut has no reason to increase wages. And those who make good wages now will be paying more of them for tolls , etc.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Not to beat this thing to death, but the article you posted explained why our unemployment is low. Yes, low is good but doesn’t tell the whole story. A retirement position opens and a person fills it seems to be the most logical explanation. It’s not like we have a people moving here in droves and companies hiring in droves. Just seems like filling positions rather than expanding. The fact is CT gained 10,000 jobs total all of last year. Maybe that is good in terms of gains, idk. Seems low when the whole year we were told we gained 24k jobs and then opps sorry we are off by 100%.

Again, the economist for the State of CT even said, “this is concerning”.
I am sorry but the media and economists they quote are always looking for something bad. That sells newspapers and draws clicks online. It is ridiculous. Yes, we do not have the rapidly expanding economy that other states have, but we also do not have the boom and bust economy they do either. During the last recession our state wide unemployment numbers did not go over 10%. Many other states did.

Also note that Hartford, our state's largest employment center, has been named as the fifth best place to find a job by Glassdoor. Major employers like Pratt & Whitney and Electric Boat are hiring thousands, as are their subcontractors and suppliers. What more do you want?

Instead of relying on the interpretation of our economy on some reporters and economists who rely on headlines to get paid, look at the actual numbers and what has been going on for the past several years. We have regained and exceeded all the private sector jobs lost in the recession. It is public sector jobs, the ones that are mostly paid for by our taxes, that have not recovered. Aren't those the jobs we don't want to grow? Isn't that how we keep our taxes from going up?

We have maintained our income levels as well. In fact the number of people earning more than $100,000 per year has gone up. If our economy is so dire, that number would have gone down.

Maybe our population has been generally stagnant but we are one of the most densely populated states in the country. Do we really want even more people jamming our state? I don't. Our roadways are crammed as it is. Enough with all the doom and gloom when it really is no where near as bad as the media and people here like to portray. Jay

https://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/laborsit.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut