Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 03:38 PM

830 posts, read 684,613 times

Advertisements

Interesting to note CT patronizes a few stores owned by Sears so-much-so to make them profitable still (maybe this assumption is false). The Kmart in Milford is closing in November but the following stores remain operational:

Sears locations: Danbury, Manchester, Milford, Waterbury, Meriden, and Waterford.
Kmart locations: Vernon and Watertown.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...eek-2018-08-23

Old 08-23-2018, 06:26 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
Interesting to note CT patronizes a few stores owned by Sears so-much-so to make them profitable still (maybe this assumption is false). The Kmart in Milford is closing in November but the following stores remain operational:

Sears locations: Danbury, Manchester, Milford, Waterbury, Meriden, and Waterford.

The chain will keep cutting until they are gone.

Its just a matter of when, not if.

Suppliers often require down payments with this albatross.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post

More variables than the public is aware of. Lease issues being a big one.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:22 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
More variables than the public is aware of. Lease issues being a big one.
Sears owns alot of real estate I gather they are closing ones they can lease or sell the property easily. As well as looking at per store profit.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:24 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Sears owns alot of real estate I gather they are closing ones they can lease or sell the property easily. As well as looking at per store profit.
The real estate portion of Sears Holdings was spun out into a company called Seritage. It gets only about 35% of it's revenue from Sears and K-Mart stores deriving the rest from renting the space to others.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:05 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Do you think down the road say 8 to 10 years of CT can make the strides needed to reduce debt that they could slowly lower sales tax and eventually eliminate it.

Think not having sales tax would be a blessing for CT residents and increase revenue for local businesses in CT.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:08 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Do you think down the road say 8 to 10 years of CT can make the strides needed to reduce debt that they could slowly lower sales tax and eventually eliminate it.

Think not having sales tax would be a blessing for CT residents and increase revenue for local businesses in CT.
I think Connecticut can get its debt problems under control BUT I doubt that tax rates can/will be reduced all that much. Jay

Old 08-27-2018, 11:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think Connecticut can get its debt problems under control BUT I doubt that tax rates can/will be reduced all that much. Jay

How do you pay down the debt and unfunded pension liability the state already has without raising taxes? The two big budget items are Medicaid and K-12 school funding in the poor cities. Like any other blue state, more than half the state budget is social spending on the bottom 15%. Do you kick grandma out of the nursing home because Medicaid stops funding it like in Louisiana did a couple of months ago? Do you just throw in the towel on urban school systems? I don't see how you get the debt problem under control without making some very difficult choices.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:36 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

State still needs money to operate regardless of debt load. If you eliminate one revenue source like sales tax another source needs to take its place or another tax needs to be raised. A lot of the rhetoric we read about taxes in this CT forum and other city data forums is basically "Libertarianism" splashed with a side of freedom. Lower taxes equals more freedom in their minds.

If Stefanowski thinks he can eliminate 50% of the state budget by eliminating the income tax he's nuttier than a fruitcake. I would love to see him try. I;ll be fine regardless but I don't want to see other people hurt by a budget reduction like that. Not everyone can fight back.

On the bright side we'll have more freedom ?

Old 08-27-2018, 02:15 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How do you pay down the debt and unfunded pension liability the state already has without raising taxes? The two big budget items are Medicaid and K-12 school funding in the poor cities. Like any other blue state, more than half the state budget is social spending on the bottom 15%. Do you kick grandma out of the nursing home because Medicaid stops funding it like in Louisiana did a couple of months ago? Do you just throw in the towel on urban school systems? I don't see how you get the debt problem under control without making some very difficult choices.
I did not say it was easy and you are right there are some very difficult decisions that have to be made. Will see. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut