Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 08:15 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Nice try at justification.

CT residents pay, on average, 2.07% effective real estate tax rate, whereas in NC, they pay .57%. SC residents pay an average of $851 yearly in property taxes while CT residents pay $5,600.

You were saying?
I'd trade saving $4,749 for a grocery tax any year, Thank you. Even at say 8% sales tax, it would take buying over $59,000 worth of groceries fully taxed at 8% to offset $4,749, and bear in mind, in Ct, a large % of the average basket at a grocer will be taxed.

Nothing matters more in terms of expenditures, in terms of total $, then housing cost, utilities, state income tax cost, and all property tax cost.

Sales tax differentials are chump change.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:22 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You should also inform him that groceries in South Carolina can be taxed. Sorry but I find that to be reprehensible. Jay

https://blog.taxjar.com/states-groce...ms-tax-exempt/
You may find that reprehensible but the people of SC pay far less overall, out of pocket, than CT residents do. Statistically, a fraction. The absurd property, vehicle, income, and proposed tolls on every highway/mileage taxes in CT are what I’d view as “reprehensible”.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:24 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'd trade saving $4,749 for a grocery tax any year, Thank you. Even at say 8% sales tax, it would take buying over $59,000 worth of groceries fully taxed at 8% to offset $4,749, and bear in mind, in Ct, a large % of the average basket at a grocer will be taxed.

Nothing matters more in terms of expenditures, in terms of total $, then housing cost, utilities, state income tax cost, and all property tax cost.

^ exactly. I think calling a grocery tax of an otherwise very low tax state reprehensible while living in a state that taxes far more out of pocket is a bit much, seeing that the tax difference is in the thousands - lol.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:25 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times
Not to mention that most groceries are actually exempt from sales tax at the state level in SC. While counties can tax groceries it’s still a very low tax burden.

Quote:

Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
^ exactly. I think calling a grocery tax of an otherwise very low tax state reprehensible while living in a state that taxes far more out of pocket is a bit much.
I know people moving out of state, and ZERO, told me what the sales tax rates are, but all knew the property and income tax differences.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM

https://www.ctinsider.com/business/d...IS8lrJl8o7UrLk

Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 AM

996 posts, read 379,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Except he is not an economist. He is a conservative military historian and columnist. His points and views have no more weight than say Bill Maher.

GeoffD is correct. No one can say that California’s economy is not vibrant. I am not sure how anyone can even claim San Francisco and LA are in “free fall”. San Francisco’s unemployment rate is 2.2%. LA’s is 4.5% which is hardly horrible for a large diverse urban area when you consider that 4% is considered by economists to be full employment. Jay
You don’t have to be an economist to report on the middle class fleeing the state. Sure the economy is vibrant,( I never said it wasn’t ). but what will affect tomorrow’s economy are excessive obligations and a rising amount of homelessness. Not to mention the free health care given to illegals under the age of 24. If you like the return of diseases like Typhus, head to LA. If you wish to navigate the streets of San Francisco, there are websites to help you avoid the human waste . If that goes along with a vibrant economy, I’ll pass. CT is heading in that direction. The middle class is leaving ( just about gone from the cities )and Democrats here have the welcome mat out for illegals.

Bill Maher vs Victor Davis Hanson ? Seriously ?

Old 07-22-2019, 04:26 AM

266 posts, read 245,513 times
Quote:

Absolutely, the ONLY thing more expensive when I moved out of state was sales tax and my water bill, otherwise EVERY other reoccurring expense went down. I fully expect to pay taxes in some form or fashion wherever I live but taxation in CT is ridiculous.

Everyone has a breaking point.... this last go around was the nail for many IMO but the census numbers over the next few years will tell us for sure.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 AM

21 posts, read 18,488 times
My family is from CT/NY We're the only ones still in this area. We are leaving in the next year or so. I know I'm not the only one. My neighbor just moved to Tx. Another left for NC. The one who moved to NC told me she should have left 15 years ago.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:55 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
You may find that reprehensible but the people of SC pay far less overall, out of pocket, than CT residents do. Statistically, a fraction. The absurd property, vehicle, income, and proposed tolls on every highway/mileage taxes in CT are what I’d view as “reprehensible”.

Quote:

So both of you believe that groceries should be taxed??? Really? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut