Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 09:53 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
I would not put all bets on Stamford alone, it won't cut it alone.

But, we have duo of Stamford + New Haven and all the towns across metro north. This duo could make the
Metro North economy to the level of Bay area+ San Francisco with lots of high tech jobs and financial jobs. It has the potential, still under-appreciated yet today.

CT has upper hand against NJ. We have the duo, they don't. Sure, NJ has Princeton U, but Princeton U does not have medical school and NJ's biotech potential is far less than that CT. Compared to the services of NJ trains and bus, I think CT's train transportation infrastructure is superior and has higher economic potential than NJ.
We need better leaders to make FFC economy almost Bay area levels and people in Greenwich need stop crying that they don't want high speed rails it shouldn't take 40 mins from Stamford to Grand Central it should be 15-20 mins from Stamford. So what if your property drop from 3.5 million to 3 million majority of CT still can't afford to live there.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
We need better leaders to make FFC economy almost Bay area levels and people in Greenwich need stop crying that they don't want high speed rails it shouldn't take 40 mins from Stamford to Grand Central it should be 15-20 mins from Stamford. So what if your property drop from 3.5 million to 3 million majority of CT still can't afford to live there.
Why would high speed rail lower property values? I would think they should increase as values are commonly directly proportionate to convenience, no? Essentially, green which would become "closer" to NYC. Closer (or travel times tantamount to closer) should translate to more potential buyers, more buyers = more demand/competition, higher demand with fixed housing stock= Price favors seller = higher list price

Old 08-17-2017, 10:22 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Why would high speed rail lower property values? I would think they should increase as values are commonly directly proportionate to convenience, no? Essentially, green which would become "closer" to NYC. Closer (or travel times tantamount to closer) should translate to more potential buyers, more buyers = more demand/competition, higher demand with fixes housing stock= Price favors seller = higher list price
Because high speed rail isn't about convenience for the places it goes through. Rather it's for those where it stops. I don't have all details regarding stops but if it cuts through your bucolic town without stopping, it doesn't add to your property value. If you live close to the actual line, it will bring it down.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:02 PM

712 posts, read 541,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Because high speed rail isn't about convenience for the places it goes through. Rather it's for those where it stops. I don't have all details regarding stops but if it cuts through your bucolic town without stopping, it doesn't add to your property value. If you live close to the actual line, it will bring it down.
In this case, I agree with you. Better rail infrastructure does not equal to speed itself. It is more than speed.

Three factors in my opinion on train: Speed, comfort and frequency. Stamford has 2.5 points, fast speed to NYC with 5 minutes intervals during peak hours. 40 minutes to 50 minutes to NYC is good enough on speed. But comfort of riding from Stamford to NYC is at 0.5 points, still too crowded in my opinion.

New Haven has 2.0 points, speed to NYC is too slow, 1 hour and 40 minutes is too long while to Stamford at 50 minutes is decent. Comfort is very good from New Haven to Stamford and I many times use this ride for doing some work on laptop. Internet cell connection is decent with either AT&T coverage or Sprint. Frequency between NYC/Stamford and New Haven is OK. The weakest link on Train from New Haven is the speed to NYC/Stamford.

If New Haven attracts a MIT like university, Stamford-New Haven corridor will become another Bay area. Just dreaming.

I think the metro north upgrade ideas of making 2 express train track inside, 2 slow train track outside for Metro North published by CT consultant is great idea. We will need to make sure the NYC/Stamford/New Haven Metro North (part of Shoreline East) has greatest train infrastructure to build a much better economy to compete with Bay Area and Boston. I think right now the metro north train infrastructure is already very good, but not great. It will need to be better and stand out to compete economically for the future of CT.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
CT has upper hand against NJ. We have the duo, they don't. Sure, NJ has Princeton U, but Princeton U does not have medical school and NJ's biotech potential is far less than that CT. Compared to the services of NJ trains and bus, I think CT's train transportation infrastructure is superior and has higher economic potential than NJ.
Huh?

I have tons of friends in NJ biotech and big Pharma. It's enormous compared to Connecticut. 4% of the total workforce and about 125,000 big Pharma/biotech/medical equipment employees. I don't know where you get that you need to have a medical school to have a thriving biotech industry. Most people I know in biotech and big Pharma are PhD, not MD. Most also work nowhere near where they did graduate school. My sister got her PhD at Duke. She's been in Vancouver, BC since the mid-1980's. You think people actually stick around scenic New Haven after they graduate from Yale?

North Jersey abuts Manhattan. There are hundreds of thousands of bridge/tunnel rats. Fairfield County has one rickety Metro North rail line.

I ride the northeast corridor Amtrak service every week and do the length of New Jersey. The Northeast Regional between Newark and Trenton is 100+ mph service and Acela is much faster than that. There is absolutely nothing in Connecticut like that. You can drive from Stonington to Greenwich faster than Acela. Ditto Springfield MA to Greenwich on the Northeast Regional or the Vermonter. It's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh?

I have tons of friends in NJ biotech and big Pharma. It's enormous compared to Connecticut. 4% of the total workforce and about 125,000 big Pharma/biotech/medical equipment employees. I don't know where you get that you need to have a medical school to have a thriving biotech industry. Most people I know in biotech and big Pharma are PhD, not MD. Most also work nowhere near where they did graduate school. My sister got her PhD at Duke. She's been in Vancouver, BC since the mid-1980's. You think people actually stick around scenic New Haven after they graduate from Yale?

North Jersey abuts Manhattan. There are hundreds of thousands of bridge/tunnel rats. Fairfield County has one rickety Metro North rail line.

I ride the northeast corridor Amtrak service every week and do the length of New Jersey. The Northeast Regional between Newark and Trenton is 100+ mph service and Acela is much faster than that. There is absolutely nothing in Connecticut like that. You can drive from Stonington to Greenwich faster than Acela. Ditto Springfield MA to Greenwich on the Northeast Regional or the Vermonter. It's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.
Let's not get into this NJ verses CT on biotech. Both states suck now compared to Boston. Metro Boston has everything going, and on top of world for biotech startup and another silicon valley on the move.

What I meant is future, potential. Yes, CT is better than NJ on BIG IF. If we have a great plan and leadership at Hartford.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Today there is neither MIT like nor Stanford like University in New Haven. Still New Haven tops the list of high tech startups in CT. I recall that one newspaper said that nearly half of CT startups are in New Haven area.

Here is recent source of this on New Haven:
Why New Haven, CT is the Best U.S. City for Tech Startups

Why New Haven, CT is best U.S. city for Tech Startups

http://sublimeexposure.net/connectic...artup-scene-2/
Connecticut’s Surging Startup Scene

Old 08-17-2017, 02:03 PM

From The Basement To $1 Billion: Connecticut Man Turns Startup Into State's First 'Unicorn'

From The Basement To $1 Billion: Connecticut Man Turns Startup Into State's First 'Unicorn' - Hartford Courant

Austin McChord, 29, started a bioinformatics company at Norwalk, CT, is a billionaire today. This is first CT unicorn company
and it is within metro north between Stamford and New Haven.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 PM

New Haven county startup fames in Biotech:
https://news.yale.edu/2015/12/22/yal...and-innovation

Yale alumnus Jonathan Rothberg awarded National Medal of Technology and Innovation

In 2001, Fortune estimated his net worth to be $168 million. I think his net worth from his past startup is probably short of $1 billion, but should be around $500 million. His startup incubator company 4catelyzer has HQ office in Guilford CT, another office mainly for software engineers is in Manhattan.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:09 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh?

New Jersey does have a massive biotech and pharma community. There are a number of big research and development complexes around the state. That said the biggest problem with commuting into Manhattan from New Jersey is having to switch trains to cross the Hudson River. It makes for a nightmare of a commute when thousands of people are herded from one train to another and then are greeted by one of the worst stations in the world. Hopefully one day this will change but Governor Christie stopped the original tunnel project and that put the fix a decade behind what it would have been. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut