Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 02:57 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That article is two years old.
Good catch. Jay

Old 05-03-2017, 04:23 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Good catch. Jay
That's the point!

Malloy's budget dubbed "fiscal suicide" in the article is from two years ago now we are more deeper in debt with more tax increases on the way.

Just be honest and admit you were wrong. We need spending cuts

Say it with me Jay, WE NEED SPENDING CUTS!!!

Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,491 times
We need people on this forum to finally face the truth about CT, the economy and the Democrats ruining the state finances through massive spending.

Just face the truth thats all we ask please face the truth

Old 05-03-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
That's the point!

Malloy's budget dubbed "fiscal suicide" in the article is from two years ago now we are more deeper in debt with more tax increases on the way.

Just be honest and admit you were wrong. We need spending cuts

Say it with me Jay, WE NEED SPENDING CUTS!!!
Never said we didn't. Jay

Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 PM

Now for some good economic news, Electric Boat now has 15,000 employees and is expecting to add 3,000 more. Plus they are getting ready to spend $1.5 billion in Groton and Rhode Island for improvements to their facilities. Jay

The Day - EB workforce surpasses 15,000 employees; more hires planned - News from southeastern Connecticut

Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
The State is going to have to tighten the budget and spending. Attract businesses. Eliminate the Business Entity Tax. A 5% business tax for small bussineses, 100 or less employees. 8% business tax for companies with 101 or more employees. Think outside of the box policies to generate revenue such as legalizing marijuana. Attract more people to the State. Work towards lowering taxes for all in 5 year's. For the interim lower taxes for those making $10,000 to $50,000 or less to 4%. 2% for those below $2,000 . Slightly raise income taxes by .5% So 5.5% becomes 6% for those making $50,000 or more. Taxable income is after you make $20,000 in a year. Lower sales tax to attract people to buy in the State. Implement a used tax on any out of State purchases that are $5,000 Or more.

This "business entity tax" is $250 every two years. Eliminating that isn't going to help any thing.

DRS: Business Entity Tax

For comparison the state of Delaware has a "franchise tax" that ranges from $350 - $180,000 per year.
Although in DE I think that tax only applies to S-corp & C-corp

State of Delaware - Division of Revenue - Services for the Business Taxpayer - Franchise Taxes

Old 05-04-2017, 12:32 PM

377 posts, read 240,965 times
Here's my opinion, for what it is worth.

I am just an average person living in an average town in Connecticut. I moved to the state in the mid 1970's. At that time it was the " Switzerland of the Northeast ". After watching Politicians running the state, I place most of the blame on Democrats , specifically the Liberal or Progressive wing of politics. The more I listen to what they have to say, the more I am convinced they are completely out of touch, and are dangerous in regards to their constant preoccupation with " Social Justice " .
That being said, I honestly believe that people complain too much. The quality of life where I live in CT , is superior to many other parts of the country . It is well worth the cost of living here. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't care at all if it was 5 % or even 10 % more to live here. Still well worth it.

As far as solutions go, there must be spending cuts. In addition, we must break the stranglehold that Unions have , even if it takes 20-30 years. Start now, start busting them up. Some can be retained , but only for specific instances. We must also stop enabling negative lifestyles by handing out money to those that are unwilling to make the sacrifices that life demands for self sufficiency.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
I think the biggest issue in the State is the lack of "Social Service's". Need to fund DMHAS more, ensure adequate staffing at facilities to lessen misconduct, stop closing facilities, and stop shutting down Mental Health services for various areas of the State shifting an overload to private/non profit facilities. Need to do away with taxes on hospitals, give back the Medicaid money to area hospitals, enact laws like California & few other States requiring facilities to have adequate staff. Provide tax paid tuition for CT residents attending Community Colleges full time and 50% discount for thosr part time. Housing/Shelter for homeless convert abandon properties/hotels/school's into places to shelter these individuals. More social services at public schools. Legalize marijuanna. Universal mental health care for CT residents at public or non profit facilities. Universal healthcare for CT residebts 70 or over. More public and low income housing. Lessen the tax burden on those making $50,000 or less a year.

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-04-2017 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,343,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
Here's my opinion, for what it is worth.

I am just an average person living in an average town in Connecticut. I moved to the state in the mid 1970's. ............. The quality of life where I live in CT , is superior to many other parts of the country . It is well worth the cost of living here. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't care at all if it was 5 % or even 10 % more to live here. Still well worth it.

You made very good points in your post. It is nice to see a person transplanted from another state say they think our state is still superior to other parts of the country even with all our financial problems. I am curious, what part of CT do you live in?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,867 times
CT now has to deal with the sins of the past. Years of over spending by both parties. As well as both parties ignoring the debt load and pension underfunding. Now we are stuck. We will have to cut more things and tweak the revenue a little but no real tax increase, as we are competing with other states.

CT has cut a lot of spending over the years and state benefits have come down but unfortunately for new hires they will have to come down again. If you look at state spending per capita we are in the top half of the US but not the top 10, not that bad considering 31 percent of the budget is now for refunding underfunded pensions and paying debt. I believe most states are closer to 10%. .
You can see the per state breakdown here
State and Local General Expenditures, Per Capita | Tax Policy Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut