Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2021, 05:27 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Very informative column on our job situation.

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...l-16721863.php

Old 12-24-2021, 06:40 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Default Courant article about state economy

Just saw a headline in the Courant online about how the state economy is outpacing the country's growth thanks to insurance and finance. Since I am not a member I can't read the article.

Just curious. To anyone that has read the article I was hoping you could chime in.

I know for years the insurance and banking industries in Hartford were contracting due to consolidation of companies and buyouts. Has this changed? Are other areas of the state also seeing economic growth in these sectors outside of Hartford (presumably) and obviously FFC?

Old 12-24-2021, 07:30 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Just saw a headline in the Courant online about how the state economy is outpacing the country's growth thanks to insurance and finance. Since I am not a member I can't read the article.

Just curious. To anyone that has read the article I was hoping you could chime in.

I know for years the insurance and banking industries in Hartford were contracting due to consolidation of companies and buyouts. Has this changed? Are other areas of the state also seeing economic growth in these sectors outside of Hartford (presumably) and obviously FFC?
Here’s the article in the Hartford Courant. It should be available to everyone. It should be readable to everyone since it’s on their open website. I know that there is no shortage of insurance jobs in greater Hartford. I’m not sure that’s true for finance though. In Fairfield County it’s the opposite. Still this is good news that should be made known across the state. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...vri-story.html

Old 12-24-2021, 08:40 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here’s the article in the Hartford Courant. It should be available to everyone. It should be readable to everyone since it’s on their open website. I know that there is no shortage of insurance jobs in greater Hartford. I’m not sure that’s true for finance though. In Fairfield County it’s the opposite. Still this is good news that should be made known across the state. Jay

I am going to have to post the headline in the other topic where many are trashing CT and it's economy lol.

Connecticut’s economy outpaced U.S. growth this summer, powered by finance and insurance. State ranks 15th in nation.
Connecticut’s economy grew faster than the national economy in the July-to-September quarter, led by a strong recovery in the state’s extensive finance and insurance industry, the U.S. Commerce Department reported Thursday.
The state’s $299.8 billion economy expanded at a 2.7% annual rate in the third quarter as the U.S economy grew by 2.3%. Connecticut’s growth rate placed it No. 15 among the states, an unusually high ranking. It ranked at No. 29 in the second quarter.

ADVERTISING
Manufacturing and construction led job growth in November in Connecticut »
The state’s finance, insurance and real estate sector has “been a stellar performer,” economist Donald Klepper-Smith said. “It’s been what’s keeping Connecticut above water.”
“These are engines of economic growth that are helping Connecticut at a crucial point in the business cycle,” he said.
The chief beneficiaries are businesses and workers in Hartford, the center of much of the state’s insurance industry, and Fairfield County, home to Wall Street brokers and others in the financial industry, Klepper-Smith said.
Connecticut’s economy was the second largest in New England, after Massachusetts, with a $637.4 billion economy that expanded much faster, at a 3.7% rate, placing it No. 3 in the U.S.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

"Fairfield County, home to Wall Street brokers and others in the financial industry, Klepper-Smith said."

Thank You Mr. Klepper that is my mantra too but many on this board say having Wallstreeters in Fairfield County don't matter to our economy. Of course is matters....it has mattered for hundreds of years.

The Buttonwood Traders
May 17, 1792: Security traders who the previous year had begun to meet and make transactions under a Buttonwood tree on Wall Street banded together officially under the Buttonwood Agreement. The agreement was crafted to keep out government intervention and outsiders who wanted to join. Anyone who wasn’t a group member who wanted to buy stock had to do so through an approved broker. The signees first set up offices at the Tontine Coffee House, on the corner of Wall Street and Water Street.
https://www.history.com/topics/us-st...treet-timeline

Old 12-24-2021, 08:42 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

New Haven has seen some wonderful growth as a city, probably the best of any in the state. Not insurance or finance, but still decent growth of taxable land and jobs in other industries.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:08 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
New Haven has seen some wonderful growth as a city, probably the best of any in the state. Not insurance or finance, but still decent growth of taxable land and jobs in other industries.
Medical......one example.

Pfizer New Haven Clinical Research Unit
https://www.pfizer.com/research/clin.../new_haven_cru

Old 12-24-2021, 01:59 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times
What an article. The Courant's business pages are the stuff of legend. CT is an economic juggernaut. Corps are coming in by the day. Consumer spending is through the roof. Hartford coffers are overflowing.

FCounty is more than just financial advisors and Wall St. traders. It's home to a wide variety of industries. Consumer products, beverage, and maritime freight are also prominent, among others, employing everyone from CEOs and VPs to middle management to junior level staff. There's something for everyone.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

I hope Alden does not fire the staff member who made this a free column to read. Thanks for posting.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Of our cities, New Haven the last few years is the bright spot.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:34 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
What an article. The Courant's business pages are the stuff of legend. CT is an economic juggernaut. Corps are coming in by the day. Consumer spending is through the roof. Hartford coffers are overflowing.

FCounty is more than just financial advisors and Wall St. traders. It's home to a wide variety of industries. Consumer products, beverage, and maritime freight are also prominent, among others, employing everyone from CEOs and VPs to middle management to junior level staff. There's something for everyone.

Don't forget the moving companies. They are doing a bang up business in CT with thousands of CT residents fleeing every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut