Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 07:34 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I disagree with this point as well. That was one area - the vast majority of the homes in the area came after the 1930s (Tweed opened in 1931 and sits on about 400 acres covering more than just that side of Lighthouse Point). Nice hedge with the last sentence, but the point still stands that there was very little around Tweed when it was first built.

Tweed isn't trying to be a JFK. It is trying to be a first-class regional airport that's focused on a currently underserved market undergoing an economic restructuring after decades of deindustrialization.

Looking forward to stopping by G-Cafe and of course checking out the new terminal when it's finished a few years from now.
Many or most airports affect residential neighborhoods nationwide, it's just the way it is and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.
When you take off and land out of HPN and Hartford, you're very low altitude over some very rich neighborhoods with stately homes and fancy inground pools with oblong shapes. You can make out the expensive masonry and manicured landscaping those people had hired out.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:38 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That one area is the area of the flight paths (landing) and is the area that would be directly impacted should operations expand further. The area between Huntington in New Haven and just west of Charter Oak in East Haven was developed in the 20s, as was much of the point area directly west of the north/south runway. That’s a big area that was already developed and/or privately owned before even the groundbreaking of Tweed.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m fully in support of Tweed flourishing. It’s bridged a gap that Southern Connecticut has had for a long time, but the “Tweed was there before it’s neighbors” argument isn’t exactly true. Saying that makes it sound as if suburban 90s McMansions were built there, when the reality is the entire area was developed in the 20s and 30s - both commercial and residential. Any local historian can confirm this.
You are right that there are a lot of homes in the area from the 1920-1930’s but also there are many from post-World War II. I do know the home that was hit by a plane from Tweed several years ago was post-war. That area was farmland back at the beginning of the 20th Century. The New Haven side developed rapidly in the 20’s but was delayed by the Depression and then the war. After that it was infill with leftover farmland subdivided. Jay

Old 11-23-2021, 07:41 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
C

Sean Scanlon, executive director of Tweed’s airport authority, said this week a study by Tweed showed there are about a million people in what it considers its market: south of Middletown and Meriden; east to Old Saybrook and west to Fairfield.

“Statistically, those million people more often than not go to New York to fly and not to Bradley,” Scanlon said. “So we don’t really view this as a competition with Bradley. Yeah, in some sense, maybe it would be, but we’re not looking at them as where we are going to take from. It’s more about a two-airport strategy for Connecticut.”

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...vbq-story.html
Tweeds director is absolutely right and on point that people would prefer it over NY airports including HPN in some cases. HPN are genereally higher priced.
Even Rich Richman in Westport would prefer to fly down to Boca from Tweed than LGA. The limo driver would appreciate it.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:32 AM

980 posts, read 599,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Given the heavy traffic on I95 thru FFC and NH, Tweed's director is very wrong about FFC travelers preferring Tweed over NY airports.
Ah yes, because NYC traffic is so light.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:11 AM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Given the heavy traffic on I95 thru FFC and NH, Tweed's director is very wrong about FFC travelers preferring Tweed over NY airports.
I think you misinterpreted his point. The Tweed director was referring more to the underserved market and how FFC travelers (especially those who live in places like Stratford and Shelton) would prefer a fully serviceable Tweed instead of traveling to NYC.

His larger point was that most folks along the shoreline travel to NYC-area airports not Bradley - that's based on evidence as well. Bradley isn't even centrally located so there's room for both Bradley and Tweed in CT).

Old 11-23-2021, 11:51 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are right that there are a lot of homes in the area from the 1920-1930’s but also there are many from post-World War II. I do know the home that was hit by a plane from Tweed several years ago was post-war. That area was farmland back at the beginning of the 20th Century. The New Haven side developed rapidly in the 20’s but was delayed by the Depression and then the war. After that it was infill with leftover farmland subdivided. Jay
That’s correct. The Charter Oak neighborhood was developed in the 40s and 50s. But nearly the entire area west of that (just north of the main runway and nearly all homes south and east of Tweed) were developed just prior to or at the same time as the airport. Many of those homes have been demolished or refurbished but many are still standing and are small but very stunning. That’s why I don’t think it’s fair to make the claim Tweed was there before residential development. That’s just simply not true.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:18 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s correct. The Charter Oak neighborhood was developed in the 40s and 50s. But nearly the entire area west of that (just north of the main runway and nearly all homes south and east of Tweed) were developed just prior to or at the same time as the airport. Many of those homes have been demolished or refurbished but many are still standing and are small but very stunning. That’s why I don’t think it’s fair to make the claim Tweed was there before residential development. That’s just simply not true.
Let it go - we'll agree to disagree here. The expansion within the same footprint might I add is a done deal. No eminent domain here.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:24 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Let it go - we'll agree to disagree here. The expansion within the same footprint might I add is a done deal. No eminent domain here.
We’re having a discussion on the development surrounding Tweed in the 20s and 30s. Participate if you’d like, but you don’t get to dictate what’s posted.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:23 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP which is the Economic Climate of the state. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-23-2021, 08:33 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Uh, no. Fairfield (the western border of his sample size) to Tweed is wayyyy easier than NYC airports. Full stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut