Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 10:36 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

The thing is yes being representative is generally a part-time position but if you're voting for things that you're going to later administer then that is going to be a conflict. The way how it should probably be is just to hire somebody or 1099 some firm that would work with the treasure collector. Generally if you work with the local government and your a state rep at the same time there's a bit of a process to resign and have some form of special election.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:37 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
WOW! Another major company has announced they are moving to Connecticut. Digital Currency Group is leasing 90,000 square feet in Stamford and will move 300 employees there next year. The state is providing $5 million in incentives for the move. The company considered a number of states including New York and New Jersey. They chose Connecticut for location and quality of life according to the company’s CEO. Great news. Jay

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...mford/2661279/

Old 11-29-2021, 10:53 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
WOW! Another major company has announced they are moving to Connecticut. Digital Currency Group is leasing 90,000 square feet in Stamford and will move 300 employees there next year. The state is providing $5 million in incentives for the move. The company considered a number of states including New York and New Jersey. They chose Connecticut for location and quality of life according to the company’s CEO. Great news. Jay

I am shocked the $5 million in aid is in USD, as, for this corp, it should be in bitcoin.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:30 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Another company on the leading edge and another win for CT. When does it end?

Old 11-29-2021, 01:40 PM

332 posts, read 217,721 times
I'm gonna say this every time. I wish some of these companies would move to Hartford too.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:41 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecticutSir View Post
I'm gonna say this every time. I wish some of these companies would move to Hartford too.
Norwalk/Stamford is more desirable locations for companies closer to NYC for airport, business trip, weekend gateway. Stamford is surrounding by ultra wealthy suburbs and have large college educated population which companies looking for. It one of many reasons companies choose Norwalk or Stamford area.

Downtown Hartford would need to promote itself little better and have more attractive developments.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:17 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecticutSir View Post
Hartford is doing okay on its own. The reason many NY-centric companies move to Connecticut is two fold - 1) cheaper cost of doing business and 2) still able to draw from the NY talent pool. My other half worked at the HQ of a hedge fund in lower FFC for many years and a significant percentage of new hires were 20 and 30 somethings who reside in NYC. The firm had several free of charge shuttle busses per day from the city to CT. You don’t have any of those benefits with Hartford.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:22 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Hartford is doing okay on its own. The reason many NY-centric companies move to Connecticut is two fold - 1) cheaper cost of doing business and 2) still able to draw from the NY talent pool. My other half worked at the HQ of a hedge fund in lower FFC for many years and a significant percentage of new hires were 20 and 30 somethings who reside in NYC. The firm had several free of charge shuttle busses per day from the city to CT. You don’t have any of those benefits with Hartford.
True. I like the added state tax revenue, but as for jobs, in the first few years, I doubt we get 25% of the headcount. This office is based in NYC, so for NYers, it becomes a reverse commute.

We should get the 25% from the group working there living in central NJ. They will be most apt to quit. I would bet even the northern NJ staff stay on, as Stamford is a doable reverse commute from there, no longer than say Fairfield-Grand Central in length.

Now as we get by the first few years, we will get a bit more of the 300 hired locally as backfills.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:24 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I worked for a company in Stamford that had sales offices in NYC. Even though about 90% of the employees were in Stamford the address still said NYC. A NYC address is gold plated.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:30 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I don’t get it, wasn’t that one of Lamont’s big campaign points, his wife’s connections to major companies? If we don’t pursue any companies the Lamont’s or her company had a financial interest in, you’d pretty much eliminate half the companies in the country. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...l-list-but-134
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut