Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You just proved my point. The tax savings of moving to Florida or some other low tax state IS NOT for the average person. The average retired person is getting 24-36k per year perhaps as much as 50k per year. They're not going to be affected by estate taxes, dividend taxes, or capital gain taxes.

This is a very common sales tactic in which the salesmen say "these rich people are getting these benefits and/or side stepping these taxes/rules/regulations" you can do the same thing if you follow our directions and buy our book/seminar/coaching for only $199

The average retired person in CT would be better off downsizing to a smaller house. Which should lower property taxes. If they live in a high tax city like Hartford then they should move to the suburbs for the lower taxes.

If they want to move because of the weather that's understandable. I would move because of the weather too. I hate the cold and snow, but this is where the money is.
I agree but even the weather is not necessarily better. Remember that Florida has oppressive heat from basically May to October. Imagine maintaining a yard in that heat? You may even find the need to cut your grass there more than once a week because the heat and humidity makes grass grow like crazy there. You are basically trading one problem weather situation for another. Jay

Old 05-09-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
The points I proved were that people were moving to FL and it was costing the state billions in lost revenue.

I provided the link which shows the state has lost 1.8 billion in tax collections!

You can call them rich if you like but the point is raising taxes is not raising revenue.

THAT IS THE POINT

THE POINT IS THAT THE DEMOCRATS AGENDA IS DESTROYING THE STATES ECONOMY UNDERSTAND???
And yet Connecticut had Republican Governors for 12 years and they did nothing about our finances but kick the problem down the road. This is not just a Democrat problem and before you accuse me of being biased, I am a Republican not a Democrat. Jay

Old 05-09-2017, 09:32 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree but even the weather is not necessarily better. Remember that Florida has oppressive heat from basically May to October. Imagine maintaining a yard in that heat? You may even find the need to cut your grass there more than once a week because the heat and humidity makes grass grow like crazy there. You are basically trading one problem weather situation for another. Jay
True, although if you are making $50K/year in retirement income and have a paid off CT house, you can buy a condo in 55+ community in Florida and become a snowbird, while maintaining a FL domicile (tax benefits). Then again, the cost of flying back and forth + paying property taxes/insurance/other bills in CT negates any measurable tax savings here.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,961 times
Quote:
And yet Connecticut had Republican Governors for 12 years and they did nothing about our finances but kick the problem down the road. This is not just a Democrat problem and before you accuse me of being biased, I am a Republican not a Democrat. Jay
Well balanced response. I lean Republican as well. Andrew Cuomo, Democrat Governor, of New York has been doing much to spur economic development in that state. In particular, he has paid significant attention to Upstate New York. Whether he succeeds or not is still up in the air, however he is at least trying.

CT's economic issues are many years in the making. Just blaming Democrats will not change a thing because they will continue to have political clout in the State. Ultimately we all need to work on solutions using all the tools available to us (income tax cuts, raise sales taxes, reduce spending, allocate spending etc.).

Old 05-09-2017, 09:42 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:
The points I proved were that people were moving to FL and it was costing the state billions in lost revenue.

I provided the link which shows the state has lost 1.8 billion in tax collections!

You can call them rich if you like but the point is raising taxes is not raising revenue.

THAT IS THE POINT

THE POINT IS THAT THE DEMOCRATS AGENDA IS DESTROYING THE STATES ECONOMY UNDERSTAND???
CT isn't losing billions of dollars a year because people - even the rich ones - are moving. That's a joke. For someone who's an actuary you should already know that.

This Democrats vs Republicans is silly. There's no difference between the parties. They serve themselves and or their donors first. The Tesla story is a perfect example.

Neither party is ever going to do anything innovative to fix any thing at the state level or Federal level.

At least Malloy recognized the issues and tried. Especially with the 30 year transportation plan. My guess is very little if any of that plan will ever be built.

IF a Republican is elected as Governor next time that's the first thing they will squash.

We'll be stuck with 3 - 2 lanes highways between the CT River and NY for infinity. We have a better chance of seeing flying cars before any of these highways are expanded.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,944 times
Quote:
You are conveniently ignoring the fact that laws are not passed by a single person. The legislature is 80% democrat.

Republicans generally favor low taxes and smaller government that is simply their beliefs and if you vote for them either as governor or in the legislature you will get LOWER TAXES AND LOWER SPENDING.

That is simply the platform of the parties so just be honest!

I'll say it again, Malloy raised taxes and revenues dropped by 1.8 Billion. The CT economic collapse falls on the liberal Democratic governor and 80% legislature. Its one party rule now stop making excuses.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,086 times
Quote:
You are conveniently ignoring the fact that laws are not passed by a single person. The legislature is 80% democrat.

Republicans generally favor low taxes and smaller government that is simply their beliefs and if you vote for them either as governor or in the legislature you will get LOWER TAXES AND LOWER SPENDING.

I'll say it again, Malloy raised taxes and revenues dropped by 1.8 Billion. The CT economic collapse falls on the liberal Democratic governor and 80% legislature. Its one party rule now stop making excuses.
The senate is tied and the Dems hold a 4 member majority in the House. Not 80% by a longshot.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:

And you are conveniently forgetting that neither Rell or Rowland EVER raised the flag on the pension issue or said we need to rein in spending. They proposed budgets that kicked the problem down the road and sat fat and happy and boasted of surpluses that made them look good. Jay

Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM

845 posts, read 680,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The senate is tied and the Dems hold a 4 member majority in the House. Not 80% by a longshot.
I too read this 80% and sighed. Not even at their height during the Bush/early Obama years did the Democrats even come close to that. Best they ever had was high 60s, low 70s %s points wise and that was only for two years.

The blame for this crisis falls on both sides. Can't warp it any other way. Democrats in the legislature went alone with all previous Republican and Democratic governors sweeping the issue under the rug, and like Jay said boasting about their awesome surpluses, which promptly got spent instead of funding the pension system. This issue has been growing in Connecticut for almost a hundred years (inadequate savings from around 1920). Only now has it grown to where we can no longer ignore it and its blowing up in our faces. Great news for Rowland (who is in jail) and Rell (who lives in Florida), they don't have to worry about it. Weicker either, he just get blamed for the Income Tax (despite him also not funding the pensions). O'Neill, Grasso, Meskill? Same thing, unfunded pensions. Worst culprit is probably Rowland, he got all of those state employees to retire with their sweet benefits, the ones crushing us today.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Just to add. If there's a tie in the Senate then Wyman gets to break up the tie and vote. She backs up everything Malloy does so she votes with the Democrats 99.9% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut