Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 09:09 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There's a wide amount of variation and a shift in buying habits. In the Hartford area places like Avon, Simsbury and Granby have seen price declines while towns closer in to the Hartford area have seen increases if they are priced under $300,000 or so. Younger buyers, single professionals and retirees are looking for more affordable homes and there are fewer buyers for larger, more expensive homes further out in the suburbs. I definitely believe that the perception of SALT has definitely affected real estate decisions regardless of whether or not the person is actually paying more in federal taxes. Many people are angry that they cannot deduct the huge amounts of state income and property taxes they pay and in essence feel they are being double taxed. They realize that if they can reduce their property taxes and/or income taxes they will have more money in their pocket. If they can do that while continuing to live in Connecticut it's a win.

It is interesting to me that many of the people I know who complain the most about Connecticut have some of the highest incomes. Having known many of these people my entire life it is unlikely that many would have ever experienced the type of opportunities they had enjoyed if they had started out their career in one of the current hot areas people are moving to as those areas had little going on at the time. Economic opportunities are skill-specific and people, especially young people starting out, need to move to where the best opportunities are for their career. For many, especially engineers, Connecticut is one of those places.
I can’t speak for the Farmington River Valley but prices and sales in Glastonbury are up significantly. I was pleased when I saw this the other day. I knew it would come up here so I saved it. Here is a link. Jay

https://mce.cbprospectsquare.com/mce...323_185755.htm

Old 07-13-2019, 04:54 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Lamont should go to a CT Realtors Association meeting and listen to their concerns. They have been sounding the alarm for years now. I had a realtor friend who recently committed suicide, in part because of financial problems. The industry has been decimated, during a time at which the United States at large has a housing shortage problem. Meanwhile realtors in Florida can’t even keep up with demand, some are even turning down clients. Lamont is a private sector guy he knows the deal.
Excellent idea.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Somebody here likes to tout CTs low percieved unemployment rate. If that is the case I should have no problem getting a job. Can't even get an interview. Several years. Just can't get the other half to agree to move out
Very sorry for you.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I say that entire list is BS and we are higher than that. Didn't anyone dig into the methodology of the list.

I knew that list was BS when they ranked CT 8th for educated workforce. We are the third most educated workforce according to this list and I remember we are always near the top on that metric in all the lists I have seen.

#1 Massachusetts
#2 Maryland
#3 Connecticut
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/24/the-...n-america.html

Quality of life 20?
This list has us at #3 for this too. We have some of the best healthcare, highest mortality rates, high education rates and lowest poverty rates. Most states don't come close.
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...ked/1901557002

And BTW how can our economy be that bad if CT has the highest per capita income in the country? This list has us at #43.

#1 for per capita income: Connecticut
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ersonal-income

Is CT business friendly...hell no. But don't make our state look worse than it is and that is what a lot of thee lists do.

As some people say that list above IMO is "clickbate" for it's failed methodology for having CT so low in some of these metrics.
The “but CT’s high income!” claim can only be said so many times. Sorry to remind you, but statistically, it’s declining.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:39 PM

With our DC opening up, it is important to remember what their DCs are like. In Pa, they had ambulances sitting outside all day by one, after too many staff became ill, excessive heat, combined with having every move they make timed.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/inside...ouse-employee/

Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 AM

570 posts, read 477,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Somebody here likes to tout CTs low percieved unemployment rate. If that is the case I should have no problem getting a job. Can't even get an interview. Several years. Just can't get the other half to agree to move out

The job market is great if looking to get paid under 75k a year. I hear 24 year old millennials bragging about multiple offers. Over 40 and looking for six figures? Good luck. It is dead out there. I know numerous people struggling to survive on unstable contract work. That or unemployed.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:18 PM

570 posts, read 477,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Lamont should go to a CT Realtors Association meeting and listen to their concerns. They have been sounding the alarm for years now.
Sorry but realtors are often needless middleman who take a kings ransom cut. Without the NAR pumping politicians pockets then technology overtakes that industry. Not that realtors are all bad but just I don't value their opinions much bc they only care about transactions and would pump another bubble if allowed. If he wants to see real issue, go to the front lines - CT finance and technology professionals. He will find that banks are cutting back like crazy while replacing jobs with low cost H1B labor. Go look at Infosys contracts, Wipro and TCS. Tell us why a rich company like Bridgewater gets to outsource Stamford jobs to Genpact while taking tax credits from state.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 PM

https://m.stamfordadvocate.com/opini...-AyZunkMGpJ8mA

Great points raised.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:32 AM

512 posts, read 351,565 times
This is all my anecdotal experience, but all I see is an employees’ market out there. I work for a semi fast growing tech company and we have hired everyone from back office (e.g. bookkeeping and accounting) to technical staff. If we don’t act fast after an interview, we lose the candidate. We have lost the upper hand in hiring as opposed to a couple years ago. Bad for me as an employer, good news for job seekers in Connecticut!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:34 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
This is all my anecdotal experience, but all I see is an employees’ market out there. I work for a semi fast growing tech company and we have hired everyone from back office (e.g. bookkeeping and accounting) to technical staff. If we don’t act fast after an interview, we lose the candidate. We have lost the upper hand in hiring as opposed to a couple years ago. Bad for me as an employer, good news for job seekers in Connecticut!
I know a couple kids straight out of college and this happened to them. They had multiple offers. They took the first one they got but had they waited, there would have been others. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut