Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 PM

77 posts, read 76,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
In the last two days, companies with MAJOR presence in CT (UTC and Hallmark) have expanded operations outside Connecticut. UTC will create 380 jobs in Florida and Hallmark will shed 540 jobs. 920 jobs that could have been in CT, gone.

Sad to hear.

Enfield community will hurt from this loss.
It's actually even worse. Supposedly Hallmark's Enfield center was employing 570 people whose jobs will be lost:
Hallmark announces closure of Enfield distribution center - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Granted, what's another 30 jobs when they're being lost by the 100s? The only upside is that some of the layoffs may find jobs at another center in another state, although that takes them out of the state (although these days it almost seems like you've got to go out of the state for any opportunity...).

Old 07-10-2015, 03:39 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I remembered the $400 mill UTC deal when I saw WSJ today. NJ just got 2,150 J P Morgan jobs from NY-just $19 mill for 10 years! Now that's a great deal! If you figure an average of $6k income tax NJ annually (conservative, I know), that is $129 mill recovered during the same time. Great ROI! Maybe Malloy can ask CC how it's done?
I was just reading an article on New Jersey and it is not costing the state only $19 million, it is $190 million. I was also shocked to read that Christie has cut education funding by $1 billion and that the state has an $800 million deficient. Job growth in NJ is among the worst in the country and he canceled one of the states most important transportation projects that would have created thousands of construction jobs and saved thousands of commuters time for generations to come. And you think Malloy is a bad Governor. Jay

Old 07-10-2015, 03:43 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Heard a rumor most hospitals in the state are taking a 40-60 million dollars cut due to the state budget

Old 07-10-2015, 04:02 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
It's actually even worse. Supposedly Hallmark's Enfield center was employing 570 people whose jobs will be lost:
Hallmark announces closure of Enfield distribution center - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Granted, what's another 30 jobs when they're being lost by the 100s? The only upside is that some of the layoffs may find jobs at another center in another state, although that takes them out of the state (although these days it almost seems like you've got to go out of the state for any opportunity...).
From the article:

Quote:
“In recent years, we have made significant improvements in distribution and inventory management practices,” Hall said. “As a result, we can fulfill and ship the required product volume in a timely manner from a single location.”
This reads as if the consolidation move was in the works for some time.

I have a feeling for the reasonable future any and all relocations or closures will be blamed solely on the CT Dems.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:44 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I was just reading an article on New Jersey and it is not costing the state only $19 million, it is $190 million. I was also shocked to read that Christie has cut education funding by $1 billion and that the state has an $800 million deficient. Job growth in NJ is among the worst in the country and he canceled one of the states most important transportation projects that would have created thousands of construction jobs and saved thousands of commuters time for generations to come. And you think Malloy is a bad Governor. Jay
Still a great deal. These jobs have a multiplier effect of around 3 to 1, so given that, the payback is double the cost.

Yes Comrade Malloy stinks. One big job cut announcement after another, no meaningful gains. The next gov will inherit a higher unemployment rate than Malloy started with, once the dust settles in insurance industry and Sikorsky being sold.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Depends on many factors.

If a spin-off, they will keep operations here (at least some). Granted, they might scale down, but at least keep some workforce here.

If outright sale (which is what they are pushing for), they will move locations within 3-4 years. The biggest "complaint" from the new CEO is that their profit margin is only 2.9%. And what's the easiest and quickest way to increase profit margin... reduce overhead..cheaper labor.

This will be a huge loss because of the many feeder businesses that feed Sikorsky.
Lockheed Martin said to be nearing Sikorsky purchase - Connecticut Post

Old 07-10-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I would be surprised if Sikorski gets spun off, much less sold. I think UTC might be seeing what potential buyers *might* pay for it with little actual commitment. Could also be that UTC wants to pivot more to high-tech security government contracts which IMO would be a terrible long term move.
Sale appears imminent. Surprised you, but not me.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:04 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
How many jobs are being lost? That's pretty sad. The company i work for might go down the same path except we'd move to either Virginia or Texas. If we do move then that means another 200 jobs will be lost. Enfield just lost 500+ jobs a few days ago since Hallmark announced its plan to move those jobs out of state. Will the politicians in Hartford wake up from their nap?
Nap? The politicians in Hartford are comatose and on life support. We need to pull the plug already...oh wait, it's CT, so we'll just wheel their cot into the ER room so the tax payers can continue paying for their mess...

Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 PM

LMT Income Statement | Lockheed Martin Corporation Com Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Lockheed operating profit 12.3% last year. Sikorsky 2.9%. They will not buy them to reduce their %, so to improve Sikorsky to the same level, they need 858 million profit from Sikorsky, or 658 million in cost cuts at Sikorsky (who made 200 mill last year).

If we assume about 8 headcount cuts per million, 658 mill is about a 5,000 reduction in force.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:35 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
You have to be kidding me.

More Raises Coming For State Government Managers, Totaling $7 million - Hartford Courant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut