Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 PM

370 posts, read 608,383 times

Advertisements

Great news for Hallmark and UTC to invest in states that are much friendlier for business.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Could Branford be the next tech hot spot? Branford biotech startup lands $18M investment | HartfordBusiness.com

I know there is an article floating around that said Hartford is Top 5 for Growth in Technology, but I would venture New Haven Metro, which includes Branford, has the upper hand.

Steady employment growth, growing jobs and well paying ones (more than likely) at that. Let's duplicate this model across CT.

Not a chance. Branford/New Haven area might be the leading bitoech area of CT but it faces a serious uphill battle against the already established and/or currently emerging regions.

The company I work for actually got a quote for a new LIMS system from these guys (in link) not too long ago. The deal never went thru though for various reasons. Anyway, companies like this are popping up ALL OVER the country, same with bioinformatics solutions based companies. More genetic information has been produced between 2006 and today than since the inception of DNA sequencing methods in the mid 1970's -2006, so it shouldn't be a surprise. The Human Genome Project took more than 20 institutions over a decade to complete and now it takes days on a single machine. It is the genomics era, and with that comes all the entrepreneurs who want a piece of the pie. Biology has never seen data production on such massive scale like other industries have, so naturally computer/programmer savvy individuals will try to come up with software and management systems to make life easier for biologists so they can "concentrate on the science, not the workflow". It's great that this company got a nice investment, but there is a company just like it in every major city.

Same thing with all of these small start up incubator companies. Nearly every major city/university has them now, and we'll see which companies (and regions) come out on top in the next decade. It is very unlikely CT will be among them. There isn't much "industry buzz" about CT. There is industry anxiety about CT however.

The big 5 biotech hubs ( in no particular order) :1. Bay area 2. san diego 3. boston 4. research triangle 5. d.c. metro and NJ as a debatable 6th

Emerging biotech hubs: Denver/colorado springs area, salt lake city, NYC, cincinnati, austin and seattle.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 07-07-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 07:24 AM

453 posts, read 530,504 times
Quote:
In the last two days, companies with MAJOR presence in CT (UTC and Hallmark) have expanded operations outside Connecticut. UTC will create 380 jobs in Florida and Hallmark will shed 540 jobs. 920 jobs that could have been in CT, gone.

Sad to hear.

Enfield community will hurt from this loss.
But wait! The known posters will come in here and tell us how we added thousands of jobs last month! The posters will bash Florida and Missouri for not being as educated as CT is, yet, they are smart enough to pluck our jobs away.

The reality is that these stories are just becoming more and more common. I mean, when a major employer (Aetna) purchases another insurance company, and the end result is not a net gain for the state of CT, you know something is seriously flawed in our business climate.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:44 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
In the last two days, companies with MAJOR presence in CT (UTC and Hallmark) have expanded operations outside Connecticut. UTC will create 380 jobs in Florida and Hallmark will shed 540 jobs. 920 jobs that could have been in CT, gone.

Sad to hear.

Enfield community will hurt from this loss.
At least there is Amazon who is hiring several hundred for their new distribution center in Windsor. And lets not forget there are major warehouses in the area for Walgreens, Home Depot, Dollar Tree, Home Goods and several others. Still not good news though. Dannel better get his act together fast. Jay

Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
At least there is Amazon who is hiring several hundred for their new distribution center in Windsor. And lets not forget there are major warehouses in the area for Walgreens, Home Depot, Dollar Tree, Home Goods and several others. Still not good news though. Dannel better get his act together fast. Jay
Don't count on it.

I was listening to NPR a few weeks ago when the state's budget was being drawn up, with yet more tax increases despite what Dannel says, and a Republican lawmaker summed it up perfectly: "If Governor Malloy were to take a polygraph test, he would easily pass because he's gotten so used to believing his own lies." Nuff said.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
This is why there's a chance I'm leaving the state. The company I work for is looking to move to Virginia or Texas and we will bring all 120 jobs with us. This state cares about its people and not its businesses; while southern states care about its businesses more. Malloy can keep cherry picking stupid statistics and make up lies to cure his BS record but he fails to understand that the state is in big trouble. He doesn't even do public town hall meetings like what most governors do because he knows he'd get roasted. We've had decades of bad governance and CT deserves better. Every year our great state gets worse and worse. Just 10 years ago I knew I wanted to live in this state forever but what's going on now has completely changed my mind. I'm excited to leave.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
This is why there's a chance I'm leaving the state. The company I work for is looking to move to Virginia or Texas and we will bring all 120 jobs with us. This state cares about its people and not its businesses; while southern states care about its businesses more. Malloy can keep cherry picking stupid statistics and make up lies to cure his BS record but he fails to understand that the state is in big trouble. He doesn't even do public town hall meetings like what most governors do because he knows he'd get roasted. We've had decades of bad governance and CT deserves better. Every year our great state gets worse and worse. Just 10 years ago I knew I wanted to live in this state forever but what's going on now has completely changed my mind. I'm excited to leave.
And how does CT care about its people?

Old 07-08-2015, 12:49 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
And how does CT care about its people?
I will give you an example. A person without insurance here in Connecticut can walk into a hospital and get the same treatment as a person that does not. In Florida, that is not the case. I have family members who did not have insurance and were turned away from hospitals there because their problems were not life-threatening. Down there that means they were not bleeding all over the floor. Needless to say one member died from untreated cancer while the other is living with a serious illness that went undiagnosed for years. She cannot work and can barely take care of herself, not that the State of Florida will do anything either. This one of the major reasons why I strongly dislike that state. Jay

Old 07-08-2015, 01:35 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Now we're all required to have insurance, whether we can afford it or not. So that doesn't really count anymore. I didn't realize other states turned people away. Sure wish CT turned people away that used the ER for sniffles.

I was being a bit sarcastic in my prior post. Seems like the only people that get care are the poor.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I will give you an example. A person without insurance here in Connecticut can walk into a hospital and get the same treatment as a person that does not. In Florida, that is not the case. I have family members who did not have insurance and were turned away from hospitals there because their problems were not life-threatening. Down there that means they were not bleeding all over the floor. Needless to say one member died from untreated cancer while the other is living with a serious illness that went undiagnosed for years. She cannot work and can barely take care of herself, not that the State of Florida will do anything either. This one of the major reasons why I strongly dislike that state. Jay
I was going to say this before too. If you get sick in one of these so called low tax states better hope you have insurance. Also, better hope if you get laid off you have thousands of dollars in the bank. North Carolina only has 12 weeks of unemployment, Florida has 16 weeks. They also have very low weekly maximums.

There is a new documentary on net flix called "remote area medical" Remote Area Medical - Is Remote Area Medical on Netflix - FlixSeek

This will high light some of the struggles people without medical and dental insurance face.

You will never see a program like this run in CT or MA. Although I know there has been a free dental clinic run in CT in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut