Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 AM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
This isn't necessarily true for insurance companies, which are extremely telecommute-friendly. They have locations in nearly every state and have dispersed executives. For example, I know in Anthem currently (pre-merger) some of the executive leadership team is in its HQ but others, like the leaders of its Medicare business, are dispersed throughout the country. Been that way for years.
Fair enough. We'll see soon enough how this plays out over time...I just don't have a good feeling about it. Sometimes it comes down to the whims of the CEO.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:14 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Fair enough. We'll see soon enough how this plays out over time...I just don't have a good feeling about it. Sometimes it comes down to the whims of the CEO.
The current has a little bit on this.

He is a cool straight forward guy (not knowing him personally) but reading about him. He said that downsizing will happen in Connecticut but not because of ct policy it's because of membership drops. He also said Louisville will increase and add jobs.

It's up in the air but with mergers comes some type of reductions either in people or investments.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:38 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
The current has a little bit on this.

He is a cool straight forward guy (not knowing him personally) but reading about him. He said that downsizing will happen in Connecticut but not because of ct policy it's because of membership drops. He also said Louisville will increase and add jobs.

It's up in the air but with mergers comes some type of reductions either in people or investments.
Yeah I think in this particular case there will be more reductions in CT than KY simply because, across the board, Medicare business is growing and non-group individual business (presumably the part governed in CT) is really suffering. See UHC's 9 figure losses on the individual health exchanges.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Notice the subtle nuance in the announcement:

Amid questions about the role that Hartford's Aetna headquarters will play in the new company, Bertolini has said that the company "remains headquartered in Hartford." However, Aetna has not said where the headquarters will be after the merger.

It was careful not to talk about the future state.

I have seen too many of these "reverse integrations" when acquisitions take place. It doesn't make sense to maintain 2 groups of decision-making execs in different locations.
But according to them, Aetna is buying Humana so the new company will likely remain Aetna and be based in Hartford. Jay

https://news.aetna.com/2015/08/aetna-to-acquire-humana/

Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 PM

453 posts, read 531,304 times
Of relevance in this Aetna discussion - the impact of Obamacare on jobs in Hartford:

Aetna CEO: Serious Concerns About Obamacare - Hartford Courant

Quote:
Bertolini also referred to two issues of interest to Aetna's 6,000 employees in Connecticut — the first is downsizing employees to adjust to the dropping number of lives covered under Accountable Care Solutions (ACS) commercial policies. The company predicted it would have a decline of about 750,000 ACS members in the first quarter and 180,000 decline in group commercial insurance, but said it would add about 170,000 Medicare and Medicaid customers.
With Medicare in this merged company likely remaining in Louisville, It's becoming clear that Hartford will be the one losing out on this merger.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:23 PM

Before this gets out of hand, please note that discussions of Obamacare are NOT related to this forum and will be deleted. Infractions may also be given. If you wish to discuss Obamacare, you may do so on other more appropriate forums. JayCT, Moderator

Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 PM

453 posts, read 531,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Before this gets out of hand, please note that discussions of Obamacare are NOT related to this forum and will be deleted. Infractions may also be given. If you wish to discuss Obamacare, you may do so on other more appropriate forums. JayCT, Moderator
My post specifically states the decrease in commercial health plans and increase in health exchanges in relation to CT's economic climate. The article states that this will have a direct impact (downsizing) on the workforce Aetna has in Hartford.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
My post specifically states the decrease in commercial health plans and increase in health exchanges in relation to CT's economic climate. The article states that this will have a direct impact (downsizing) on the workforce Aetna has in Hartford.
I was not questioning your post. If I was I would have deleted it. I just did not want a bunch of people to begin posting on Obamacare for no reason since it would be off topic to this thread and forum. JayCT, Moderator

Old 02-01-2016, 07:17 PM

720 posts, read 920,444 times
Aetna could be next, CT can be the next Detroit. Thanks Danny!

Old 02-01-2016, 07:39 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Aetna Says Kentucky is Only Area Where It's Made A Real Estate Commitment - Hartford Courant

Malloy better make them an unprecedented offer, the largest in state history. Before Kentucky does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut