Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 09:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well tell that to the condo I lived in for more than 6 years. I had dampness problems there the entire time. Jay
I've lived in a lot of houses and apartments. Every basement I've had was damp. Every house built above grade (even on a slab) did not. I do not want any more basements, because of water issues.

There are only two explanations I can think of for your condo problems:
  • the floor was partially or entirely below grade (and therefore like a basement floor)
  • somehow they constructed the slab wrong and it was permeable

I'm just speculating on the latter; I've never heard of such a problem before.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:28 PM

174 posts, read 172,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well tell that to the condo I lived in for more than 6 years. I had dampness problems there the entire time. Jay
That's very strange, because I lived in two homes without basements and I never had moisture problems. Once I purchased a home with a basement, it was problem after problem. I now cannot wait to have a house without one! I know everyone has different experiences but count me as one who dislikes basements very much (walk out basements are better, but that usually means a sloped property and second story deck, which I dislike even more).

Old 09-15-2015, 10:34 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedSage58 View Post
That's very strange, because I lived in two homes without basements and I never had moisture problems. Once I purchased a home with a basement, it was problem after problem. I now cannot wait to have a house without one! I know everyone has different experiences but count me as one who dislikes basements very much (walk out basements are better, but that usually means a sloped property and second story deck, which I dislike even more).
Same here Ned (3 homes). In my current resident, the basement has carpet and high end furniture in the basement without incident. This also includes Hurricane Irene, Sandy, Snowtober and other peak peril 100-year weather events. I'm even at the bottom of a hill. Full disclosure, I do have a CT Basement System Sanidry setup.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
GE to move 500 jobs overseas. This article says they "might" but other articles seem to state it more definitively.

GE, Angry Over U.S. Loans, Says It Might Move 500 Jobs Overseas

Looks like GE isn't just snubbing CT!

Old 09-15-2015, 05:02 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
GE to move 500 jobs overseas. This article says they "might" but other articles seem to state it more definitively.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:25 PM

174 posts, read 172,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Same here Ned (3 homes). In my current resident, the basement has carpet and high end furniture in the basement without incident. This also includes Hurricane Irene, Sandy, Snowtober and other peak peril 100-year weather events. I'm even at the bottom of a hill. Full disclosure, I do have a CT Basement System Sanidry setup.
I just had a similar system installed and so far, so good. It was pricey, though. I still don't store much down there. I was going to finish it but when I sell in the near future, I won't get a return on that.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:26 AM

684 posts, read 812,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post

Here is an interesting little paragraph at the bottom of that article.

The Ex-Im Bank's principal role is to guarantee commercial bank loans to foreign businesses and governments to buy U.S. products. U.S. taxpayers would be responsible for a loan if a company operating overseas defaults on a bank loan used to buy a product made by a U.S. company.

So these companies can default and we get shafted ? No thanks , we are already born with debtS , no need for more.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:27 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Why are you cheering GE moving jobs over seas?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Why are you cheering GE moving jobs over seas?
I am cheering corps standing up and demanding government partner with them..not against them..and not simply using them as a cash cow.

Jobs are assets, just like homes, just like businesses. All 3 should seek to maximize what the state blessed with their presence offers.

Hopefully, government reacts in a manner which makes it in GE's best interest not to offshore the jobs. The onus is on government to adapt now..Thank God.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am cheering corps standing up and demanding government partner with them..not against them..and not simply using them as a cash cow.

Jobs are assets, just like homes, just like businesses. All 3 should seek to maximize what the state blessed with their presence offers.

Hopefully, government reacts in a manner which makes it in GE's best interest not to offshore the jobs. The onus is on government to adapt now..Thank God.
And here I was thinking government should serve the people, not legal formations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut