Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 09:52 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times

Advertisements

What is going on with GE? From the Statement it sounds like they are OUT of CT. GE expected to decide on new location for headquarters in fourth quarter: CNBC | Reuters

I see Westchester as the front runner. What a slap in the face would that be for Malloy. Atlanta would be second best.

Bottom line, I think GE is gone.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:57 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
What is going on with GE? From the Statement it sounds like they are OUT of CT. GE expected to decide on new location for headquarters in fourth quarter: CNBC | Reuters

I see Westchester as the front runner. What a slap in the face would that be for Malloy. Atlanta would be second best.

Shame

Just another reason to blame the Malloy administration. But when they get asked about the situation I know for a fact they will continue to not take responsibility and blame it on something else.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:

I don't think this is any different than what has been said in the past. The article does not say if Immelt's comment is recent or specifically in reference to the search results to date.

The article quotes him as saying "We want to be in some place where people support job creation, which is attractive to talent, good cost of living, and it is supportive in what a high-tech exporter has to be all about,". Westchester is no more supportive of job creation than Connecticut is. The cost of living there is higher and it is about as attractive to talent and supportive of high-tech as we are. Atlanta wins for cost of living but I am not sure how well it would sit for top executives who want to be near New York, particularly those with kids in school. This could be like Bridgewater whose staff balked at being relocated to Stamford from Westport. We will see. Jay

Old 09-10-2015, 06:24 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,210,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well it appears that Bridgewater is still heavily committed to the state. They are going to temporarily relocate workers from their Nyla Farms offices in Westport to Stamford while they renovate the building. They are also renovating their Glendenning offices as well and according to the article their agreement to add as many as 1,000 jobs here is still in place, just not involving a new complex in Stamford. Looks like a good deal for everyone. Jay

Bridgewater coming to Stamford, temporarily - Connecticut Post
Bridgewater is all about high brain power. They can't get the talent anywhere cheaper. You actually got Bridgewater people who moved out of NYC to FFC, as an upgrade to their air-mattress next to the water cooler.

GE is very old-school, in comparison to Bridgewater. Two very different companies, two very different cultures.

I actually think Atlanta and GE might be a good fit. I can not see Bridgewater in Atlanta yet. By the time you drawl your y'all 2 million transactions just went by you.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 PM

3,351 posts, read 4,172,374 times
Quote:

Raider I thought staying in CT was a done deal? Now it is time to produce a source

Old 09-10-2015, 07:03 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,183,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Raider I thought staying in CT was a done deal? Now it is time to produce a source
Hah, nice try

Old 09-10-2015, 07:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't think this is any different than what has been said in the past. The article does not say if Immelt's comment is recent or specifically in reference to the search results to date.

The article quotes him as saying "We want to be in some place where people support job creation, which is attractive to talent, good cost of living, and it is supportive in what a high-tech exporter has to be all about,". Westchester is no more supportive of job creation than Connecticut is. The cost of living there is higher and it is about as attractive to talent and supportive of high-tech as we are. Atlanta wins for cost of living but I am not sure how well it would sit for top executives who want to be near New York, particularly those with kids in school. This could be like Bridgewater whose staff balked at being relocated to Stamford from Westport. We will see. Jay
Woah. We just agreed on half a post. celebration?

Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Woah. We just agreed on half a post. celebration?
It does happen on occasion. Here is more on GE from the Courant. More of the same with the Republicans demanding a Special Session which I agree should happen immediately. Jay

http://tablet.olivesoftware.com/Oliv...t/Default.aspx

Old 09-11-2015, 08:04 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
By not announcing until Q4, no doubt GE will receive several new and improved bids (2nd bigger bids from states already in the game).

Shrewd move.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:25 AM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Q4 start October 1, There high chance GE is leaving Connecticut and others will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut