Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 05:54 PM

337 posts, read 405,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I will give you an example. A person without insurance here in Connecticut can walk into a hospital and get the same treatment as a person that does not. In Florida, that is not the case. I have family members who did not have insurance and were turned away from hospitals there because their problems were not life-threatening. Down there that means they were not bleeding all over the floor. Needless to say one member died from untreated cancer while the other is living with a serious illness that went undiagnosed for years. She cannot work and can barely take care of herself, not that the State of Florida will do anything either. This one of the major reasons why I strongly dislike that state. Jay
I hear you Jay but the so called "southern values" states are not creating new jobs but stealing jobs from progressive states like Connecticut with legal bribery (tax dollars) and atrocious conditions for employees, much like what places like China do. States like yours spend all their money educating their populace, providing them a high standard of living with great healthcare systems etc. only to have a third world hellhole like Florida stealing the jobs after having invested ZERO into their population. What we are seeing in the US is pretty much a race to the bottom with traditional american new england progressive value system being thrown down the wayside to make way for the southern plantation mentality. I also find the hypocritical mentality of older folks on here who made all their wealth thanks to the progressive system that enabled them to have a middle class and above existence and are now enjoying nice retirements in Florida (while their southern counterparts languished in poverty) bash the very state and system that enabled them to get to their current lifestyle.

The so called "southern values" of slavery and exploitation of the masses for the benefit of a few are unfortunately winning and I am not sure what we can do to steam this tide.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:04 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
All I know is that the Second Highest Tax increase in Connecticut history was passed yesterday. New taxes impact everyone so no one should feel left out. We officially have a $114m deficit that will take a hit on our bond rating which means we will own bond holder more because the interest will be more. CT is fragile and to enact this massive tax increase, again, it is only going to lead to trouble. Next year at this time we will be talking about over a $1B deficit, which Barnes and Lembo already say is going to happen. CT News Junkie | Lembo Certifies $115.7M Budget Deficit

Ladies and gentlemen, this is only the icing on the cake. Wait until next year.
Malloy is making it easy for business leaders to leave, and easy for states with solid cost control and great business climates to find common ground with corps seeking greener pastures.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:11 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
And there you have it folks, what is in a nutshell the difference between a first world progressive state like Connecticut with a modicum of compassion for the downtrodden and a third world regressive hellhole called Florida with so called "southern values" who love to kick the poor in the nuts.

All states like Florida can do is steal jobs from progressive states with so called "tax breaks" (legal bribery by giving away tax dollars of citizens to corporations instead of using the monies for education, healthcare etc.).

Too bad the New England states with their original ideas of Liberté, égalité, fraternité are losing out in this race to the bottom.
lol. Have you ever been to a 3rd world country? Calling Florida 3rd world is pretty laughable. If you want to talk 3rd world, or as close to it as possible, let's talk about the liberal green zones of detroit, new orleans, baltimore, memphis, oakland, st louis....

If tax breaks are bribery, then liberal mecca of NY is basically offering Mr. Police Officer to flash it's boobs with all the start-up incentives they keep advertising about. Anyway, it's not the tax breaks making companies move, it's the tax DIFFERENCE.

Funny you bring up "Liberté, égalité, fraternité", it's the national motto of Haiti, I hear that place is great, especially their healthcare.

Your definitely right though, CT has a really sustainable healthcare model...
Hartford HealthCare Cutting Hundreds of Jobs | NBC Connecticut

Ask the Pharmacist – The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality | FOX CT

Yale-New Haven Health System to close clinics in Branford, East Haven

Hospital Executives: Expect More Layoffs | NBC Connecticut

Bristol Hospital announces 37 layoffs - Central Connecticut Communications: News

Legislator: Windham Hospital layoffs will cause an 'access to care issue' - News - The Bulletin - Norwich, CT

Keep up the good work CT!

Old 07-08-2015, 06:30 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
lol. Have you ever been to a 3rd world country? Calling Florida 3rd world is pretty laughable. If you want to talk 3rd world, or as close to it as possible, let's talk about the liberal green zones of detroit, new orleans, baltimore, memphis, oakland, st louis....

If tax breaks are bribery, then liberal mecca of NY is basically offering Mr. Police Officer to flash it's boobs with all the start-up incentives they keep advertising about. Anyway, it's not the tax breaks making companies move, it's the tax DIFFERENCE.

Funny you bring up "Liberté, égalité, fraternité", it's the national motto of Haiti, I hear that place is great, especially their healthcare.

Your definitely right though, CT has a really sustainable healthcare model...
Hartford HealthCare Cutting Hundreds of Jobs | NBC Connecticut

Ask the Pharmacist – The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality | FOX CT

Yale-New Haven Health System to close clinics in Branford, East Haven

Hospital Executives: Expect More Layoffs | NBC Connecticut

Bristol Hospital announces 37 layoffs - Central Connecticut Communications: News

Legislator: Windham Hospital layoffs will cause an 'access to care issue' - News - The Bulletin - Norwich, CT

Keep up the good work CT!
This trend isn't restricted to CT it's nationwide. Healthcare companies, doctors, and hospitals will continue to merge and shed jobs in the process. My own doctors here in CT have all become part of "CT Mulitspecialty Group" There's very few independent doctors left. One reason is a group of doctors can bargain better for payments from insurance companies than one doctor can. Aetna doesn't want to lose 100 doctors, but they probably wouldn't mind losing one.

Without some type of serious reform we are only going to be left with a few healthcare companies (oligopolies) Medicare, and medicaid. And in due time I wouldn't be surprised if some states tried to privatize Medicare and medicaid. To my knowledge Kansas currently outsourced it's medicaid program to a for profit private corporation. I'd like to see how that turns out.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Without some type of serious reform we are only going to be left with a few healthcare companies (oligopolies) Medicare, and medicaid.
Welcome to Obamacare.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
While they do not formally refuse treatment, they make it extremely difficult for people to get that treatment. The people I mention above were told that their symptoms were nothing and the hospital refused to do tests FOR YEARS on one of them. After years of going back and forth, the hospital finally agreed to do a test that the person wanted and it showed they had what the hospital said was not possible. Her story was even in that city's newspaper. For privacy I am not going to give more information.

The other person I mentioned had so many problems over the years with hospitals not treating her well, she gave up trying. By the time they did something it was too late. Her family thought about filing a lawsuit but was told they would have a long and not necessarily that successful of a battle (meaning even if they did win the settlement would likely be minimal at best). So sure if you walk into a hospital bleeding all over the place, they will treat you. But if you walk in with symptoms that are not obvious and require a lot of testing, they give you the run around. Jay
So why were they going to a hospital and not working with doctors? If I have a doctor brushing my symptoms off, I find another. And yes, I was self paying those not covered my insurance and not making much.

I currently do not have dental insurance as my health insurance increased so much I camt afford it.

And that free dental clinic? What a joke. I did it in 2010 because I thought I broke a filling and needed a cleaning. Turns out they only do one procedure and a cleaning counts as one. I got there at 6am and didn't get to the building, much less in a chair, until 3:30. They decided I bruised my tooth so I just got the cleaning. Since I lost a whole day of work and didn't have Any sick leave, it would've been cheaper to pay for a cleaning out of pocket. It's only worth it if you need an expensive procedure and I'm not sure anything is worth standing in line outside all day in early March again.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:11 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Too bad the New England states with their original ideas of Liberté, égalité, fraternité are losing out in this race to the bottom.
CT founders are turning in their grave when you equate Enlightenment ideals of equality (in front of law), self-determination, local governance, liberty, with the high tax, choking regulations of the Left, big bloated Govt in your face, which Malloy represents.

If you really want to talk about hellholes, don't need to go to Florida. Go to most CT cities, which Malloy's ilk have run and ruined. Same left whose ideology you equate to the Enlightenment!

Old 07-08-2015, 07:48 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Without some type of serious reform we are only going to be left with a few healthcare companies (oligopolies) Medicare, and medicaid. And in due time I wouldn't be surprised if some states tried to privatize Medicare and medicaid. To my knowledge Kansas currently outsourced it's medicaid program to a for profit private corporation. I'd like to see how that turns out.
What's the worst that could happen? We've privatized many of our nation's prisons and that's worked out well with no flaws whatsoever. Oh, wait...

Old 07-08-2015, 08:30 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Apparently, $400m wasn't a big enough incentive for UTC. UTC Expanding With 380 Jobs In Florida - Hartford Courant

They are building a $115m State of the Art Facility in West Palm Beach, creating 380 jobs.

hey just broke ground on a new facility in East Hartford, but no article mentions jobs created. Most said they are just moving people from the old building into the new. Is that correct?
I remembered the $400 mill UTC deal when I saw WSJ today. NJ just got 2,150 J P Morgan jobs from NY-just $19 mill for 10 years! Now that's a great deal! If you figure an average of $6k income tax NJ annually (conservative, I know), that is $129 mill recovered during the same time. Great ROI! Maybe Malloy can ask CC how it's done?

Old 07-08-2015, 08:56 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,003 times
Quote:
It still does matter. Not everyone has insurance even if they are supposed to and many that do have such high copays they might as well not have it at all. Also what about those on disability like the person I mentioned above? They can't afford insurance so they are at the mercy of the hospitals. Jay
If they are on disability they qualify for Florida's equivalent of Medicaid. Which pays for EVERYTHING. Haitians are flocking to FL for that reason, the same way the Sons of Aztlan are flocking to CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut