Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 05:59 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
You left off the 'per year' detail. Was that intentional?

The same principle applies for why some people drop cable TV service. The dollars add up to significant savings over a lifetime.
...and for a working class family, that’s a lot of money.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:07 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
You left off the 'per year' detail. Was that intentional?

The same principle applies for why some people drop cable TV service. The dollars add up to significant savings over a lifetime.

No that wasn't intentional, but $2500 will get eaten up quickly by traveling back and forth to CT to see family. $2500 is also approx $200 a month which someone could save buy cancelling cable TV and/or something else.

Is your family worth $2500 ? For some I suppose not.

I actually know people that moved to Florida and the travel is a big deal. Especially when there's grand parents who don't want to travel. And the grand kids don't want to travel to CT either on their vacations and would rather hang with their school friends.

What about child care ? What if your parents or in laws can do child care for free ? Is that worth $200 a month ? Day cares are charging $800-$1000 a month around here. Just on that alone you would lose $600-$800 a month if you move to Florida.

I wrote this a long time ago, but taxes are easy to quantify because they are known and easy to research/verify. The only way to get a definitive answer would be to follow around a family (especially one with kids) and see what they spend on each month in CT and then later in Florida when they move. I think the results won't be a great as people believe.

Tax arbitrage is only for wealthy people. Its cute that the middle class think they can take advantage too, but in reality they can't. There is far more potential tax savings by increasing pre tax contributions to 401k/IRA accounts. And if there are kids throw in 529 accounts.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:35 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
No that wasn't intentional, but $2500 will get eaten up quickly by traveling back and forth to CT to see family. .
Not necessarily. Families can drive, and the gas/tolls are a fraction of that. Or come up every few years, saving, at minimum, $2.5k * quantity of years.

Plus the savings for a middle class family would far surpass $2,500, given our ultra high Tri-state income tax rates.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
No that wasn't intentional, but $2500 will get eaten up quickly by traveling back and forth to CT to see family. $2500 is also approx $200 a month which someone could save buy cancelling cable TV and/or something else.

Is your family worth $2500 ? For some I suppose not.

I actually know people that moved to Florida and the travel is a big deal. Especially when there's grand parents who don't want to travel. And the grand kids don't want to travel to CT either on their vacations and would rather hang with their school friends.

What about child care ? What if your parents or in laws can do child care for free ? Is that worth $200 a month ? Day cares are charging $800-$1000 a month around here. Just on that alone you would lose $600-$800 a month if you move to Florida.

I wrote this a long time ago, but taxes are easy to quantify because they are known and easy to research/verify. The only way to get a definitive answer would be to follow around a family (especially one with kids) and see what they spend on each month in CT and then later in Florida when they move. I think the results won't be a great as people believe.

Tax arbitrage is only for wealthy people. Its cute that the middle class think they can take advantage too, but in reality they can't. There is far more potential tax savings by increasing pre tax contributions to 401k/IRA accounts. And if there are kids throw in 529 accounts.
Let’s not try and distract from the original point of this discussion, where a poster was trying to claim FL has a similar tax burden as CT.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Let’s not try and distract from the original point of this discussion, where a poster was trying to claim FL has a similar tax burden as CT.
Or the fact that I showed that was not entirely true by giving actual comparisons. Jay.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Or the fact that I showed that was not entirely true by giving actual comparisons. Jay.
...of the lowest taxed community in CT to the highest taxed community in FL. As stated, let’s try again using a town like Glastonbury.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:14 AM

377 posts, read 241,149 times
Quote:
That is technically correct, but doesn't happen in practice. A legit business is going to issue 1099;s to all contractors regardless of the payment amount. A legit business is going to want to account for their contractor payments so those payments can be deducted from business income.

The people who are not going to issue 1099s are the homeowners who hires an electrician to wire up a garage on the weekend for cash. These are also the people that are going to rat out the contractor for not reporting income and/or the neighbors who are jealous because they didn't get the same deal.

Any one who trys to skirt taxes won't last very long.

I am sorry, but you are incorrect .

Schools, Youth and Adult sports organizations the majority of the time don't send out 1099's for less than $ 600.00. The payment is recorded within the budget , and the payment to the service provider ( vendor ) should be reported as income.

Scholastic , and Adult and Youth Sports are part of a multi billion dollar industry.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
...of the lowest taxed community in CT to the highest taxed community in FL. As stated, let’s try again using a town like Glastonbury.
Glastonbury is not comparable to Coral Gables. Greenwich is. Glastonbury is more middle class and does not have the super-wealth you see in Greenwich and Coral Gables.

Not everybody is as obsessed with taxes as you seem to be. My point is that there ARE low tax options here if you care that much. Obviously, with so many desirable towns in our state where people are willing to pay a significant premium to live in, it seems most people do not share your opinion. Jay

Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Glastonbury is not comparable to Coral Gables. Greenwich is. Glastonbury is more middle class and does not have the super-wealth you see in Greenwich and Coral Gables.

Not everybody is as obsessed with taxes as you seem to be. My point is that there ARE low tax options here if you care that much. Obviously, with so many desirable towns in our state where people are willing to pay a significant premium to live in, it seems most people do not share your opinion. Jay
You chose Coral Gables - I did not. Perhaps you can compare Glastonbury to Jupiter or Palm Beach gardens since they are similar.

There is no obsession with property taxes, but when people make claims that are false about them, they will be refuted.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:53 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
I am sorry, but you are incorrect .

Schools, Youth and Adult sports organizations the majority of the time don't send out 1099's for less than $ 600.00. The payment is recorded within the budget , and the payment to the service provider ( vendor ) should be reported as income.

Scholastic , and Adult and Youth Sports are part of a multi billion dollar industry.

You're only highlighting one industry. I've seen referee jobs advertised for $15 per game. I don't think any one cares about paying income taxes on $15.

There's a believe that people are making 50k or more a year wiring up garages on the side or laying down carpet, etc. Some people might skirt by the tax authorities, but when you start to reach big cash like that you will be caught.

If you look at the CT dept of revenue top 10 tax delinquents most are small business owners like landscapers. They thought they could side step the DRS too.

Income tax is the least of these peoples worries though the state enforces sales taxes more vigorously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut