Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
It is obvious that you still do not have a firm grasp on what I am speaking about.

First off, your example of $ 15.00 a game must be from around half a century ago.

The $15 ref jobs are often advertised here. https://www.rarereminder.com/classified.php?id=2
but there isn't currently any up

Quote:
You are wrong about the rate of pay, the amount of dollars involved, and the reasons for the scrutiny on Sports Organizations. It has absolutely nothing to do with Grants, or Government money. It is a taxation issue, a reporting issue, and an income claimed issue.

The percentage of teachers earning money as Sports Officials has declined significantly and continues.
There are hundreds and hundreds of Sports Officials who earn LESS THAN $ 600 from Organizations. and Schools, and are not given a 1099. Personally, last year, I got paid from around 35 different groups, and received only one 1099 from an entity that paid me over $ 600 , which wasn't a school.
Schools DO NOT send 1099 forms. They have you fill out a W 9.

I would suggest you do more research before you issue an opinion.

1099 and W 9 are basically the same thing. You seem to be caught up on the $600 rule. I already said you are technically correct, but if the payments are under $600 you as an individual are still required to report the income. The difference is the employer is not required to send a form to the IRS.

If a business is audited and they are expensing numerous 1099 they are going to get caught. The SS number you gave on the W-9 is going to be cross referenced and the IRS will come for you for the back taxes and self employment taxes.

If a business is issuing a large amount of 1099's that is also a red flag that may indicate the business is trying to side step payroll taxes. That is a big issue now a days.

This is no different than a person who deposits $9,999 into a bank account to stay under the $10,000 rule. May work once, but if a pattern develops they will be getting a visit from the IRS or even DHS.

IF you received 35 1099s and didn't pay taxes good for you. I would keep that info to myself.

IF you know a CPA ask him the same question you'll get the same answer.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:06 AM

377 posts, read 241,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The $15 ref jobs are often advertised here. https://www.rarereminder.com/classified.php?id=2
but there isn't currently any up

1099 and W 9 are basically the same thing. You seem to be caught up on the $600 rule. I already said you are technically correct, but if the payments are under $600 you as an individual are still required to report the income. The difference is the employer is not required to send a form to the IRS.

If a business is audited and they are expensing numerous 1099 they are going to get caught. The SS number you gave on the W-9 is going to be cross referenced and the IRS will come for you for the back taxes and self employment taxes.

If a business is issuing a large amount of 1099's that is also a red flag that may indicate the business is trying to side step payroll taxes. That is a big issue now a days.

This is no different than a person who deposits $9,999 into a bank account to stay under the $10,000 rule. May work once, but if a pattern develops they will be getting a visit from the IRS or even DHS.

IF you received 35 1099s and didn't pay taxes good for you. I would keep that info to myself.

IF you know a CPA ask him the same question you'll get the same answer.
I give up. You just don't get it . I'm not going to waste my time any more.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Unfortunately your examples are misleading. First, you randomly choose Greenwich as a comparison, which you know has the lowest tax rate in the state, and compare it to FL’s highest taxed affluent town. Then you look up 500k homes in Jupiter and provide the highest taxed listing, when every other home in that range had taxes at 40% less. Sorry, I’m not playing the cherry picking game.

A quick look at home assessments shows the assessed value is very similar between homes in Jupiter and the towns you provided.

First, Jupiter had no guidance counselors. Now that I’ve shown you they, in fact, do, now they “have more students to handle”. The student to teacher ratio in Jupiter is statistically similar so I’m not sure how you can say classes are “significantly bigger”. There are people upset with even the best school districts so your secondhand experience is hardly noteworthy.

Facts are a great thing to work with. Let’s not ignore them. They show FL’s tax rate overall a fraction of what CT residents pay. I’m glad it was acknowledged in your last sentence.
I am not cherry picking. I took the first house that came up on Zillow and was shocked at the taxes. IF taxes are so low in Jupiter (you claimed half), then why is this house so high? Why does this house also have an HOA fee on top of the taxes? I also showed you that Glastonbury taxes were higher. Would I have done that if I wanted to claim our taxes are lower? So much for cherrypicking.

I NEVER said Jupiter had no guidance counselors. I said they did not have as many. I did not dispute your teacher ratios either. I just said that my cousin's daughter had much larger classes than she did in Fairfield. That was her observation. Argue all you want but Florida's tax rate is lower for a reason. It has to do with poor services (mostly related to education) and low pay. Maybe that is not important to you, but it is to many people including me. Jay

Old 09-18-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not cherry picking. I took the first house that came up on Zillow and was shocked at the taxes. IF taxes are so low in Jupiter (you claimed half), then why is this house so high? Why does this house also have an HOA fee on top of the taxes? I also showed you that Glastonbury taxes were higher. Would I have done that if I wanted to claim our taxes are lower? So much for cherrypicking.

I NEVER said Jupiter had no guidance counselors. I said they did not have as many. I did not dispute your teacher ratios either. I just said that my cousin's daughter had much larger classes than she did in Fairfield. That was her observation. Argue all you want but Florida's tax rate is lower for a reason. It has to do with poor services (mostly related to education) and low pay. Maybe that is not important to you, but it is to many people including me. Jay

If you want to add more fire to this mess lets bring up HOA fees. Those are really de facto taxes, except they are being paid to a private entity instead of the Govt.

We can also add that Florida did not expand medicaid under ACA health care rules and in fact a single unemployed able bodied person can not receive medicaid under any circumstance in FL. Better hope you do not get sick in Florida.

The max unemployment benefit in Florida is $275 per week, and one can only collect to a max of 23 weeks, but in some circumstances that can be reduced to only 12 weeks. CAn you pay your mortgage or rent on $275 per week ?

For comparison CT's max is about $615 per week. I can pay my rent or mortgage with $615 per week.

I havent' even mentioned the homestead tax exemption. Maybe we can throw that into the fire too.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I give up. You just don't get it . I'm not going to waste my time any more.

Thank you, however a quick call to a local CPA will confirm every thing I wrote. Accountants by nature are very anal retentive when it comes to details. A CPA would never recommend doing what you wrote.

A W-9 is a request for social security number. Why do you think an organization would want your SS ? To put on the 1099 perhaps ? or maybe they just like collecting data for fun.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM

377 posts, read 241,231 times
have a good day.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:20 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Perhaps you should look past the first house and realize that is not the case for the vast majority of homes in that range. Picking one home means nothing. Looking at stats and realizing how taxes are calculated will be a good indication of overall tax burden.

And now we’re into HOA fees. Using your logic, you get what you pay for with them. Lawn care and many other amenities. Many homes do have HOA but also many do not. It’s all about what you want. But you get what you pay for, right?

This discussion should be over since you finally conceded the fact that FL’s property taxes are lower. We can discuss in circles as to why, but that won’t change the fact. And for many people (especially seeing CT’s declining population/economic standing and FL’s growing population/economic standing), they prefer the quality of life down there over CT.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:14 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Perhaps you should look past the first house and realize that is not the case for the vast majority of homes in that range. Picking one home means nothing. Looking at stats and realizing how taxes are calculated will be a good indication of overall tax burden.

And now we’re into HOA fees. Using your logic, you get what you pay for with them. Lawn care and many other amenities. Many homes do have HOA but also many do not. It’s all about what you want. But you get what you pay for, right?

This discussion should be over since you finally conceded the fact that FL’s property taxes are lower. We can discuss in circles as to why, but that won’t change the fact. And for many people (especially seeing CT’s declining population/economic standing and FL’s growing population/economic standing), they prefer the quality of life down there over CT.
While I said overall taxes are lower, when you compare like communities the difference is not that great. Certainly not half. And then you add in HOA fees, the difference is even less.

Not all HOA’s cut your grass. Some do not. They are however basically there to provide services (road maintenance, parks, swimming areas, zoning enforcement, etc.) That are provided by towns here. Unfortunately they can also be insanely demanding and difficult to deal with. Personally I would rather avoid them but if I were ever to move to a place where the government oversight is so lax, I may have no choice. Jay

Old 09-18-2018, 05:22 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Saw Marnicks sold their property. Closing is today.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:02 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
https://www.cbia.com/news/economy/ga...ands-stamford/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut