Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 11:03 AM

752 posts, read 553,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
With little intrastate transportation infrastucture, it's great for kids because they are - in effect - imprisoned inside the two square mile radius of their houses. Likewise, the stay-at-home parent is imprisoned by the $40K/yr jobs in these little towns. Depending on your viewpoint, it's great to have total control over the whereabouts of the dependents. Just another way to look at it, from somebody who did the commute and made the big bucks so that I COULD escape.
We were taking the train to NYC without parents (and sometimes without their knowledge) from age 14 on...

Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Middle class income isn't growing anywhere in the country. It's why a big chunk of the middle class pulled the Trump lever a couple of years ago.

What we've seen is corporations shifting lower skill jobs to lower COL parts of the country. It cuts your labor cost for cubicle trolls 30%. Several giant banks have big operations in Charlotte, for example. As they moved jobs, the actual pay went down but those were relatively high paying jobs in a low wage place like Charlotte. Viewed nationally, it's not income growth. Viewed locally in Charlotte, it's income growth. No different than when the textile industry bailed out of New England for the Carolinas years ago. It allowed them to slash labor costs. Every dollar you don't pay in wages goes right to the bottom line as profit. $17.00/hour at a manufacturing plant in the south is good wages. It's starvation wages in the higher COL places.

Connecticut is similar to Massachusetts. Inward migration of high income people with strong 21st century job skills. The outward migration is centered on the $40k to $70k bracket where the math works better to move out to a place where housing is far cheaper even though the pay scales are lower.
I’m not sure why you’re talking about middle class income not growing anywhere. Income, overall, is growing at a much faster rate in the other two mentioned states than in Connecticut - which is dead last in the northeast.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not sure why you’re talking about middle class income not growing anywhere. Income, overall, is growing at a much faster rate in the other two mentioned states than in Connecticut - which is dead last in the northeast.

Wages have not been rising and this is a national issue. This is common knowledge at this point. I'm always surprised when people think wages have been going up. This chart shows 6% gain since 1980, but I have seen reports as low as 2%.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_6507506.html

Old 09-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Wages have not been rising and this is a national issue. This is common knowledge at this point. I'm always surprised when people think wages have been going up. This chart shows 6% gain since 1980, but I have seen reports as low as 2%.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_6507506.html

You might want to look up the difference between wage and income.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...wth-map-2018-3

According to most recent numbers (above), looks to me like income has grown in almost all states. Of that, Connecticut ranked nearly dead last in the county, effectively disproving much of which has been said here.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:26 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
You might want to look up the difference between wage and income.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...wth-map-2018-3

According to most recent numbers (above), looks to me like income has grown in almost all states. Of that, Connecticut ranked nearly dead last in the county, effectively disproving much of which has been said here.

LOL wages are not income ? The data shows that wages are not rising for the middle classs and the poor.

A few rich people can raise the average for a big group.

I do not care about the 1% of top earners nor should you unless you're part of that group.

Last edited by JayCT; 09-26-2018 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
LOL wages are not income ? The data shows that wages are not rising for the middle classs and the poor.

A few rich people can raise the average for a big group.

I do not care about the 1% of top earners nor should you unless you're part of that group.
Again, I encourage you to look up the difference between a wage and what constitutes overall income. They are different. People can try and give excuses all day long, but that doesn’t change CT being at the bottom of the pack for income growth.

Last edited by JayCT; 09-26-2018 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Revised quote

Old 09-26-2018, 02:03 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Again, I encourage you to look up the difference between a wage and what constitutes overall income. They are different. People can try and give excuses all day long, but that doesn’t change CT being at the bottom of the pack for income growth.

For the middle class? Wages == Income. The middle class doesn't have passive income sources.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:11 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
You are wrong. Connecticut’s median income grew faster than Massachusetts and from what everyone here says Massachusetts economy is booming. Makes you wonder. Jay

Connecticut income growth ranks 44th in nation | HartfordBusiness.com

Mass. Household Income Ticked Up Just 1 Percent In 2017 | Bostonomix

Old 09-26-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For the middle class? Wages == Income. The middle class doesn't have passive income sources.
False. All classes have income - upper, middle and even lower, so I’m not sure why we’re so stuck on the middle class. The study showing CT having the slowest income growth took into account all classes. MrGompers study also measured wages of all classes.

Additionally, a good portion of working class jobs receive both bonuses and/or commission. Their wage may be $15/hr, but with commission and bonuses, it can be quite a bit more. So no, wages do not equal income for the middle class.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are wrong. Connecticut’s median income grew faster than Massachusetts and from what everyone here says Massachusetts economy is booming. Makes you wonder. Jay

Connecticut income growth ranks 44th in nation | HartfordBusiness.com

Mass. Household Income Ticked Up Just 1 Percent In 2017 | Bostonomix
You literally proved my point by sharing the first article, stating CT ranks 44th in income growth. And great for MA, however the initial two states being compared were FL and TX, both of which rank higher and are producing far more jobs than CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut