Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 11:44 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Who cares? Our state is overcrowded as it is. With low growth we are able to preserve our state’s character and avoid the vast section of ugly sprawl you find in high growth states. Jay
So to be clear, you’re suggesting the fact that CT has one of the highest net migration out is a GOOD thing, because “our state is overcrowded as it is”?

Old 10-06-2018, 03:19 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Who cares?
Large portions do. When we underperform, we lose Congressmen. We dropped from 6 to 5, and will hit 4 in the 2030 census based on current trends, reducing our House impact by 33.3%. That vastly reduces our clout in DC as a state..

PS, Ct outside of FFC, is hardly over crowded.s

Old 10-06-2018, 08:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
However we lose residents net state-state migration, ranking amongst worst in USA. Plus the USA overall goes up in excess of .7% EVERY year, so .4% over 4 years, or .1% per, is 1/7th the US growth rate.

Yeah, but you have to look at who is coming in and who is leaving. There's a significant inward migration of 6-figure people. The people bailing out are centered on $40K to $70K. The High School 'C' student with maybe a nothing degree from a mediocre state school can't cut it in a high COL place. That's not unique to Connecticut. Metro Boston sees the same thing. California has an enormous outward migration of that demographic. It's the Grapes of Wrath except they're in full size pickups and instead of heading to California for economic opportunity, they're bailing out to low cost of living places. Go to any non-California place in the west. All you hear is disparaging remarks about "Californiafication".

If it were high income, high skill white collar professionals bailing out, that would be worrying. Generally, they only leave when they retire. That's also not exactly unique to Connecticut.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:41 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Most people I grew up with in high school that moved south fit Geoff’s description. The high earners are still in the northeast. A few went to CA.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:11 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Here is what I think is a balanced review of our state's economy. As I say all the time, it is not as bad as many claim but again, it could be better. His comments on the bashing of our state could apply to this forum BUT the racism comments are definitely NOT our website. Not even close. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/business/danh...d-13285682.php

Old 10-06-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Large portions do. When we underperform, we lose Congressmen. We dropped from 6 to 5, and will hit 4 in the 2030 census based on current trends, reducing our House impact by 33.3%. That vastly reduces our clout in DC as a state..

PS, Ct outside of FFC, is hardly over crowded.s
Tell the hundreds of thousands of people commuting into and around Hartford or Waterbury or Danbury or even New Haven that our state is not overcrowded. Connecticut is the fourth most densely populated state in the nation. Do we really want it to be more crowded? I don't. And I don't want our state to just blindly promote growth to secure our position in Washington. That would destroy the wonderful character our state has and to me that is priceless. Jay

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...ut-population/

Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Most people I grew up with in high school that moved south fit Geoff’s description. The high earners are still in the northeast. A few went to CA.
Some of these are my family and friends too. But you know what the majority of them are doing no better than the ones that remained here. In fact, many are doing worse. Those lower cost places are lower cost for a reason. Maybe the cost of living is less in places but so is the pay and the quality of employment opportunities. As I say all the time, "there is a reason those places are cheaper". Jay

Old 10-06-2018, 09:33 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
Is there any data to support that claim because most of what I’ve read seems to show that more money is leaving the state than is moving in. One example:

Editorial: Connecticut's Money Is Moving Out - Hartford Courant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, but you have to look at who is coming in and who is leaving. There's a significant inward migration of 6-figure people. The people bailing out are centered on $40K to $70K. The High School 'C' student with maybe a nothing degree from a mediocre state school can't cut it in a high COL place. That's not unique to Connecticut. Metro Boston sees the same thing. California has an enormous outward migration of that demographic. It's the Grapes of Wrath except they're in full size pickups and instead of heading to California for economic opportunity, they're bailing out to low cost of living places. Go to any non-California place in the west. All you hear is disparaging remarks about "Californiafication".

If it were high income, high skill white collar professionals bailing out, that would be worrying. Generally, they only leave when they retire. That's also not exactly unique to Connecticut.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:11 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Tell the hundreds of thousands of people commuting into and around Hartford or Waterbury or Danbury or even New Haven that our state is not overcrowded. Connecticut is the fourth most densely populated state in the nation. Do we really want it to be more crowded? I don't. And I don't want our state to just blindly promote growth to secure our position in Washington. That would destroy the wonderful character our state has and to me that is priceless. Jay

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...ut-population/
I want us to grow, in all manners, at least proportionate to the nation. Our population per square mile is not high, outside of FFC. Eastern Ct is sparsely populated based on that common metric, as is most of Eastern and western upstate.

Losing House seats = less clout in DC

Losing tens of thousands annually (net) to other states is an unsustainable path.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:29 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
IMO the best thing that can happen is population booms in our biggest cities. The more those cities grow, the more attractive the state will be to younger residents. To be clear, that boom must include more high paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut