Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 06:47 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Its more being driven by defense spending and over seas buyers then lowering costs.

Its joining wonderful economic news nationally.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:20 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
On top of the PwC announcement yesterday, now another 450 entertainment jobs are coming to Stamford. Production group ITV America, which will relocate a "significant" portion of its operations to Stamford from New York City and Los Angeles, and startup Wheelhouse Entertainment are moving into a vacant building at 860 Canal Street. Great news. Jay

Malloy: Stamford 'production hub' to create 450 jobs | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 05-25-2018, 12:37 PM

I found it interesting that Amazon employs 1,500 at its center in Windsor. That is in addition to employees in Wallingford and the ones they will be hiring for the new facility in North Haven. Jay

Helped By Robotics, Amazon Expands Windsor Facility - Hartford Courant

Old 05-25-2018, 01:36 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I found it interesting that Amazon employs 1,500 at its center in Windsor. That is in addition to employees in Wallingford and the ones they will be hiring for the new facility in North Haven. Jay

Helped By Robotics, Amazon Expands Windsor Facility - Hartford Courant
FedEx is expanding here as well. Middletown facility will be opening in August and should bring some good paying jobs to the state. Most are low paying jobs just over minimum wage but managers there make decent money. I haven't heard anything from UPS.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:54 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Let me add an apples to apples comparison here: We were buying LED replacement lighting for our CT home and the Home Depot in Meriden, CT had only part of what we needed. No big deal we thought, we'll just go to the HD in KS while we were back there and pick up the rest. We did that and the cost was $8 per unit higher than in CT. We needed 8 units. WTH? Fortunately we had the CT receipt and they honored the price.

So, eating out is definitely higher in CT, presumably due to labor costs but I don't mind paying people for their work. Sales taxes are about the same but the produce in the grocery stores is fantastic and as cheap as or cheaper than KS. Got Alaska all beat to heck and gone in both quality and price. And the pizza....it will be a struggle to keep my weight in check as we don't eat any type of Italian food here. It's just not that good.

Having lived in Alaska, Kansas, wintered in New Mexico, Arizona and California, its easy to get down on a place that you've always lived but IMO the grass is pretty darn green in CT.

I'm a happy camper thus far.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:14 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
It's definitely a neutral State to live in. IDK at times this State feels blah; maybe a change up for a little and come back to CT. I am not bad mouthing the State. It's a beautiful State to run in. Great outdoor activities though limited depending on the Season. Somewhat proximity to points of interest in the State. Furthermore, there are great people who live here, have friends, and family that live here.

Feel employment field is small, job area's are selective depending where you live in the State, pay is low in relation to Cost of Living, property & income taxes are too high, higher education cost are too high, groceries & gas are in the middle not too low or too high, utility cost can be high, traffic is average, and winters are blah (Not a fan of winter's but that's not a CT issue ha.)

Old 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yup, that's more like it. Not only is UTC's footprint in CT smaller after the Sikorsky sale, CEO Hayes is (famously) on record as saying CT is too expensive. Plus who knows how things will really shake out after the Rockwell Collins acquisition.
As I posted in my post on UTC Aerospace, they are investing in their Windsor Locks facility which is the divisions largest withmore than 3,000 employees. Also according to the Courant the majority of UTC’s new jobs will be in Connecticut, Florida and Georgia. They committed to 2,000 new employees adding to the 18,000 already here. . Jay

Old 05-25-2018, 06:14 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
On top of the PwC announcement yesterday, now another 450 entertainment jobs are coming to Stamford. Production group ITV America, which will relocate a "significant" portion of its operations to Stamford from New York City and Los Angeles, and startup Wheelhouse Entertainment are moving into a vacant building at 860 Canal Street. Great news. Jay

Malloy: Stamford 'production hub' to create 450 jobs | HartfordBusiness.com
Want to see split on it before celebrating. NYC staff will, no doubt, reverse commute. Some LA may relo. Some may not and Ct folks get hired.

My focus is Ct people having access to new jobs, more than building Ct income tax pools.

In general, I think Tri-State should form backroom deal not to poach amongst themselves. People do commute NYC-Stamford.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:27 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...cities/532623/
Found this interesting article from a year ago. It does hit spot on what issues are facing CT but it also raises concerns that a lot of the issues are out of CTs control

Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Want to see split on it before celebrating. NYC staff will, no doubt, reverse commute. Some LA may relo. Some may not and Ct folks get hired.

My focus is Ct people having access to new jobs, more than building Ct income tax pools.

In general, I think Tri-State should form backroom deal not to poach amongst themselves. People do commute NYC-Stamford.
You must be kidding. These are 450 well paying new jobs here in Connecticut. I do not think it matters where the employees live. Would you rather This was located in Manhattan? By your logic it would not matter because some Connecticut residents may get these jobs. Even if only half live in our state this is a good thing. Not sure why you don’t see that or feel the need to belittle it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut