Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 08:01 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You must be kidding. These are 450 well paying new jobs here in Connecticut. I do not think it matters where the employees live. Would you rather This was located in Manhattan? By your logic it would not matter because some Connecticut residents may get these jobs. Even if only half live in our state this is a good thing. Not sure why you don’t see that or feel the need to belittle it. Jay
No I'm not kidding. I like jobs but for Ct residents to have access to. I hope more were LA than NYC based, and I hope low % took offer to relo.

I know the typical rate cross country is 40% take the chance to relo, so of LA group, if true here, 60% would be new mostly Ct hires.

I favor long distance corp relocations. Henkel was perfect-published reports indicated about 35% took relo, so the bulk in Stamford are Ct residents at new jobs.

Poaching a neighbor is not nearly as good as poaching cross country.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:05 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...cities/532623/
Found this interesting article from a year ago. It does hit spot on what issues are facing CT but it also raises concerns that a lot of the issues are out of CTs control
Except that this article, which was discussed here before, is outdated and has misinformation. Aetna is no longer leaving. In fact they are staying and expanding here under their merger with CVS.

Also when GE left Fairfield for Boston it NEVER said anything about taxes being the reason. The only mention of taxes came from their former CEO Long before the relocation became public and it is pretty much agreed he nearly destroyed the company with his lavish spending, waste and very poor financial decisions. The company is still struggling to gain a steady foot. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Also note that when GE left they only took 200 of the 900 jobs with them. 600 employees were transferred to new offices in Norwalk. If they were so upset by the taxes here, wouldn’t they have taken all of their jobs?

In that year Connecticut has had three of its largest employers commit to stay and expand here with literally thousands of new jobs being added. I am not sure what people expect. Jay

Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No I'm not kidding. I like jobs but for Ct residents to have access to. I hope more were LA than NYC based, and I hope low % took offer to relo.

I know the typical rate cross country is 40% take the chance to relo, so of LA group, if true here, 60% would be new mostly Ct hires.

I favor long distance corp relocations. Henkel was perfect-published reports indicated about 35% took relo, so the bulk in Stamford are Ct residents at new jobs.

Poaching a neighbor is not nearly as good as poaching cross country.
And yet Massachusetts poached GE with hundreds of millions for 200 jobs and New York almost got Aetna. Where is your outrage on that? CpW is creating a new group here and you are belittling it as if it means little or nothing. It can’t go both ways you know. Jay

Old 05-25-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
And yet Massachusetts poached GE with hundreds of millions for 200 jobs and New York almost got Aetna. Where is your outrage on that? CpW is creating a new group here and you are belittling it as if it means little or nothing. It can’t go both ways you know. Jay
Boston is not a Southern Ct reverse commute. NYC is 40 miles from Stamford. Had we poached from Rochester, Ny that would be like Boston.

Or had Springfield Ma poached from Hartford. That would be like this corp. Not new staff.

Again I like the LA portion already. Manhattan, not so much as the same staff will work in Stamford so do not call those new jobs as if Ct people can get them, please.

Reverse commutable is not as desirable as long distance.

No one at Henkel commutes from Scottsdale, az daily.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:57 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:
Except that this article, which was discussed here before, is outdated and has misinformation. Aetna is no longer leaving. In fact they are staying and expanding here under their merger with CVS.

Also when GE left Fairfield for Boston it NEVER said anything about taxes being the reason. The only mention of taxes came from their former CEO Long before the relocation became public and it is pretty much agreed he nearly destroyed the company with his lavish spending, waste and very poor financial decisions. The company is still struggling to gain a steady foot. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Also note that when GE left they only took 200 of the 900 jobs with them. 600 employees were transferred to new offices in Norwalk. If they were so upset by the taxes here, wouldn’t they have taken all of their jobs?

In that year Connecticut has had three of its largest employers commit to stay and expand here with literally thousands of new jobs being added. I am not sure what people expect. Jay
Jobs staying or going is not a real huge issue for CT. Jobs are going to leave to move closer to the two larger cities (Boston or NYC) or stay.

The biggest issue facing this State is the Cities.

What does CT have to attract individuals to live in this State is the question.

CT drives it's money off the wealthy living here but as the article mentions that fluctuates based off the market. How stable is basing CTs economy on the wealthy where they have no holds can easily move to another State then what for CT.

Furthermore CT cities can not compete with newer cities pooping up in warmer area's.

CT can keep raising taxes but will never truly solve the issues facing the State.

The demand for living here is becoming less over tine for Residents as more affordable, better weather, and modern Ciries expand & grow.

If CT wants to compete has to figure ways to reduce tax burden, curtail spending, making housing/rent more affordable for those in the Middle Class, and improve upon CT Cities.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

If CT wants to compete has to figure ways to reduce tax burden, curtail spending, making housing/rent more affordable for those in the Middle Class, and improve upon CT Cities.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 AM

There appear to be a lot of companies expanding or moving into our state now. Some of the ones listed in the article below were previously announced, some are new. Some are big and some are small. Still these are good news for Connecticut’s economy. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/greenw...es-19-000-jobs

Old 06-01-2018, 03:35 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
After reading one of the Candidates support of UCONN Health going private or quasi-private what's your thoughts?

I know a big trend is one company involved in health corrections. However, have heard mixed reviews on them.

I heard at the jails in Hartford, Bridgeport, and New Haven they contract the Nurses from the local hospitals out.

I think if they can come up with a four partner agreement: UCONN Health maintains it's State facility in Farmington and outpatient locations. Western CT (Garner) Healthcare covered by WCTHN. The Coastal Correctional Facilities covered by Yale. The rest of the State covered by Hartford Healthcare. Would make sense and be a way for the State to return funds to area hospitals.

What also would be interesting is if UCONN Health took over healthcare at DMHAS sites and the State opended another long term care hospital. Have Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven, Middletown, and 5th location. As of right now services are very stretched.

Any remaining group homes run by the State should be turned over to Hartford or Yale since that seems the way things are going.

Biggest concern and could never be a politician is how would this affect people currently employed at these facilities.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
There appear to be a lot of companies expanding or moving into our state now. Some of the ones listed in the article below were previously announced, some are new. Some are big and some are small. Still these are good news for Connecticut’s economy. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/greenw...es-19-000-jobs
While it is roughly 80% retain/20% create, still a nice list to see. Hopefully the next governor creates a climate more conducive to not need to pay greenmail to retain. That leaves that money to be used to lure new corps to Ct.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:36 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,113 times
Bob,

Greenmail is here to stay. Think about it.....the states outperforming us don't have to offer as much as us to be competitive. Yet they can afford to offer more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut