Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 02:14 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Did anyone read this? Does anyone find it insane and downright wrong that the state is forbidding drivers from using a public road, paid with public taxes? Oh wait, now they will allow it if you pay an outrageous toll ($35). This is just another sneaky way for the politicians of the so-called cheaper states to soak the public. Jay
I think congestion-sensitive tolling is the absolute right thing to do. Not just an express lane. The whole highway. If you insist on driving on I-95 in Fairfield County during rush hour in a single occupant vehicle, you should have to pay for it. It's not like there's the land to add another 3 lanes each way to I-95.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think congestion-sensitive tolling is the absolute right thing to do. Not just an express lane. The whole highway. If you insist on driving on I-95 in Fairfield County during rush hour in a single occupant vehicle, you should have to pay for it. It's not like there's the land to add another 3 lanes each way to I-95.
Not everyone that works can afford to pay tolls that are that expensive. Why should only the wealthy be allowed to drive on highways that were built with public funds on rights-of-way that were taken for the public good. I am all for open-road tolling to pay for roadway improvements however I am not for such outrageous toll costs or with limiting who can and cannot use a highway. I am surprised this has not been challenged as discriminatory. It sure should be. Jay

Old 12-06-2017, 08:42 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Did anyone read this? Does anyone find it insane and downright wrong that the state is forbidding drivers from using a public road, paid with public taxes? Oh wait, now they will allow it if you pay an outrageous toll ($35). This is just another sneaky way for the politicians of the so-called cheaper states to soak the public. Jay
I'm interested to see what revenue they're going to raise, but for the average commuter, it's really business as usual. I-66 inside the Beltway has been HOV territory during peak hours for at least 15 years. The toll only applies to single occupants. Additionally there are viable public transit options serving DC from the west. I occasionally made that trip as a commuter, and when I could not rideshare to use 66, I took the bus to the Metro - bus has HOV lane access, and while unglamorous, it is more economically and ecologically friendly.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Not everyone that works can afford to pay tolls that are that expensive. Why should only the wealthy be allowed to drive on highways that were built with public funds on rights-of-way that were taken for the public good. I am all for open-road tolling to pay for roadway improvements however I am not for such outrageous toll costs or with limiting who can and cannot use a highway. I am surprised this has not been challenged as discriminatory. It sure should be. Jay
Hey wasnt the gold coast named as pretty much one of the richest areas in the USA. Pretty sure 30$ wouldn't hurt the rich pockets.. with that been said I think they raised it so people ca get on track with public transportation. Cities invest a good amount of money and if they don't constantly have a good amount of people riding it then it won't make the money they thought

Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Let them take the bus or walk.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
With congestion-based tolling, you heavily discount carpoolers. That's what California does on the bridges around SFO. What you're trying to stop is 1 person per car.

With a state-run EZ Pass system, you can also link the transponder to a tax return & place of work. You can discount lower income people commuting to work during rush hour. Or refund a slice of the toll money on the state income tax return for low income people. ...but nothing like the break you get for carpooling.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM

377 posts, read 240,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Bingo. But if after graduation you can't get a job with commensurate pay to service that debt along with the other costs of living, its a problem. Because unlike most other forms of debt, student loan debt is not dischargeable in bankruptcy. You're stuck with it.

Sure it can be a problem, but there are plenty of ways to generate income besides a main job. Many see a trend towards a contractor type of environment. There also may be lucrative part time opportunities for additional income.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Or let them eat cake?

Old 12-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Hey wasnt the gold coast named as pretty much one of the richest areas in the USA. Pretty sure 30$ wouldn't hurt the rich pockets.. with that been said I think they raised it so people ca get on track with public transportation. Cities invest a good amount of money and if they don't constantly have a good amount of people riding it then it won't make the money they thought
Not everyone in Fairfield County is rich. Most are middle class. They have to drive I-95 because they can't afford housing prices in and around Stamford so they move further out. This seems a bit much particularly when the pricing originally quoted to the public was no where near this amount. Crazy. Jay

Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Or let them eat cake?
Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut