Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 04:27 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
These layoffs sound related to the Digital Innovation teams failure to deliver and less the fault of the state.
It's even less than the fault of the teams. It's all part of Flannery's plan to move away from Immelt's strategy of GE becoming solely a tech player and back towards what it does best - innovate and make things.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
An interesting proposal from another possible candidate for Governor. Thoughts? Jay

Dr. Laffer prescribes tax cuts, and his friend Bob, to the CT GOP | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 AM

184 posts, read 106,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
An interesting proposal from another possible candidate for Governor. Thoughts? Jay

Dr. Laffer prescribes tax cuts, and his friend Bob, to the CT GOP | HartfordBusiness.com
Sounds great, does not work in real life. Companies do not take more revenue and turn it into jobs, they give it back to shareholders and to top executives.

The fact that people are still bringing out Laffer after all these years to me is amazing. If he is the best you have to offer, why bother?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,602 times
Quote:

Sounds great, but the article does not even remotely point to how the tax cuts would be paid for other than a vague reference to unfixing fixed costs.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Sounds great, but the article does not even remotely point to how the tax cuts would be paid for other than a vague reference to unfixing fixed costs.
I know. How realistic is it to cut 56% of your total revenue without making MASSIVE changes to what you provide. I am not even sure this is possible due to the massive amount of mandates the state must follow no matter what. You can't just stop Medicaid and Medicare or eliminate employee obligations. Without a plan to offset even a portion of the revenue source, this proposal is useless and just unfeasible. Jay

Old 12-05-2017, 09:00 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:

It's a real shame Laffer is still getting press after all these years. Supply side economics hasn't worked in the last 40 years, and its never going to work. I thought after the "Kansas experiment" we would be done with this supply side stuff, but I guess not.

Any one who's fool enough to bring out Laffer in a political campaign will not be getting any consideration from me at all.

The US economy is consumer based, if consumers have more money they spent it, and the economy increases, its that simple. Don't know why people have to make it so complicated.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:07 AM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It's even less than the fault of the teams. It's all part of Flannery's plan to move away from Immelt's strategy of GE becoming solely a tech player and back towards what it does best - innovate and make things.
I was going to say it's more of an overall strategy shift.

I know personally a few people on that team and they are very smart people. It's unfortunate, and will just push more digital/tech residents to work in NYC or move. There aren't a lot of jobs to go around right now, and I've watched the industry slowly dying in CT.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
It's a real shame Laffer is still getting press after all these years. Supply side economics hasn't worked in the last 40 years, and its never going to work. I thought after the "Kansas experiment" we would be done with this supply side stuff, but I guess not.

Any one who's fool enough to bring out Laffer in a political campaign will not be getting any consideration from me at all.

The US economy is consumer based, if consumers have more money they spent it, and the economy increases, its that simple. Don't know why people have to make it so complicated.
What you don't think the billions in tax cuts will trickle down to us little people??? I can't imagine why (note the sarcasm)? He actually has the nerve to say the Kansas cuts were not enough. Kind of arrogant really. Jay

Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 AM

This article is about New Jersey but easily could have been written about Connecticut too. Both states seem to suffer from similar situations with Millenial flight, claiming home prices are keeping them from settling in their state. The only thing is it does neglect that fact that home prices are based on demand. If prices are high, there has to be a demand to support them. That is how our free market economy works. So if Millenials can't afford those pricey homes in the suburbs, who is? I think people forget that Millenials really aren't much different than prior generations. When I, a Baby Boomer, first got out of school, I too looked for a job in an urban area but found one out in the suburbs instead. I shared an apartment with a friend because I could not afford one on my own and later moved home for a while to save money to buy my own place. I later married and bought that house in the suburbs just before having kids. This seems to be what many Millenials are doing today as well. Nothing new about it. Jay

https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/11...MTkyMjYzOTg1S0

Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM

377 posts, read 240,987 times
Quote:
This article is about New Jersey but easily could have been written about Connecticut too. Both states seem to suffer from similar situations with Millenial flight, claiming home prices are keeping them from settling in their state. The only thing is it does neglect that fact that home prices are based on demand. If prices are high, there has to be a demand to support them. That is how our free market economy works. So if Millenials can't afford those pricey homes in the suburbs, who is? I think people forget that Millenials really aren't much different than prior generations. When I, a Baby Boomer, first got out of school, I too looked for a job in an urban area but found one out in the suburbs instead. I shared an apartment with a friend because I could not afford one on my own and later moved home for a while to save money to buy my own place. I later married and bought that house in the suburbs just before having kids. This seems to be what many Millenials are doing today as well. Nothing new about it. Jay

https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/11...MTkyMjYzOTg1S0

What is new about it is that today's young people at 30 , are not keeping up with the income increases of past generations. 5 % of 30 year olds today are making less than the boomers generation did at age 30 , on average . Add in other factors of the housing market and one can see their issues a bit more clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut