Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 12:06 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times

Advertisements

There has been some compromise and adjustments between the House and Senate Republicans. This is what they have so far. Some good and some bad for CT.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/u...cans-deal.html

Good (except Stamford/Greenwich/Darien/New Canaan)
* "In a compromise between the bills, the deal would cap the popular deduction for interest on mortgage debt at $750,000 for newly purchased homes"............I heard on the news this morning that older homes over $750,000 are grandfathered in and are OK.

* I also heard on the news that the medical deduction will be retained. Also good for our area as we have high healthcare costs.

Not so bad, but not so great (Bad for Fairfield County but Good for the rest of CT)
* "The bill also allows individuals to somewhat choose how to use their state and local tax deduction, giving them the ability to write off up to $10,000 in property taxes, income or sales taxes paid or a combination of property and sales or property and income taxes."

$10,000 for both state and local taxes are not nearly enough in FFC or the tri-state area. I am middle class in FFC and I pay over that amount. People like me might be in a little pickle.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce_00 View Post
Agreed on the first point. Someone living in a $200K home subsidizing someone living in a $2M home is beyond insane.

Second point: How about nobody gets subsidized by anyone? There's no constitutional right for anyone to buy a house.
How is someone in a $200,000 home subsidizing someone in a $2 million home? They aren't.

I assume you are talking about the tax credit people get for their mortgage interest and property taxes. In case you do not know or understand it, the reason for the deductions is to encourage people to buy their own home. Studies show that homeowners are more responsible and better off financially than non-owners. They are more invested in their communities and in general better citizens. The current tax plan forgets this. The GOP is more interested in giving tax credits to big companies and the wealthy than encouraging the middle class to be more productive members of our society. Jay

Old 12-14-2017, 06:05 PM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
middle class to be more productive members of our society. Jay
Isn't the middle class who manufactures things, teaches our children, delivers our goods and polices the country? That seems pretty damn productive to me....

Sorry, it's not the folks who move money from one place to another who are truly productive...

Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
I pay 22,000 in property taxes and still come out ahead in the likely final tax bill. Brackets and amt are also shifting but the media is obsessed with the sky is falling narrative. Im hopeful it induces more prudent fiscal policy in runaway tax states as an ancillary benefit. In short, a very good tax plan for middle class earners, corporations and passthroughs.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I pay 22,000 in property taxes and still come out ahead in the likely final tax bill. Brackets and amt are also shifting but the media is obsessed with the sky is falling narrative. Im hopeful it induces more prudent fiscal policy in runaway tax states as an ancillary benefit. In short, a very good tax plan for middle class earners, corporations and passthroughs.
If you are making out OK I would bet you are pretty high up in the top 20% of wage earners, that is not the middle class. All the goodies are flowing to the top 20% or the top quintile. The middle class is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quintiles.

The top 20% or top quintile will probably try to get their income into passthroughs also.

The sky is not falling on the top 20% but it will fall like a thud on the middle class....especially the middle class in FFC.

Here are the 2015 income quintiles for a point of reference.
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/stati...come-quintiles

1) .........0 to $22,800
2) $22,801 to $43,510
3) $43,511 to $72,000
4) $72,001 to $112, 261
5) $112,262 and up (the top quintile)

The 4th quiltile (which I am in, any probably a large portion of FFC) in FFC is going to get hit by the new federal tax bill and probably the state of CT to collect more taxes.

Last edited by CTartist; 12-15-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-15-2017, 08:09 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
If you are making out OK I would bet you are pretty high up in the top 20% of wage earners, that is not the middle class. All the goodies are flowing to the top 20% or the top quintile. The middle class is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quintiles.

The top 20% or top quintile will probably try to get their income into passthroughs also.

The sky is not falling on the top 20% but it will fall like a thud on the middle class....especially the middle class in FFC.

Household Income Quintiles | Tax Policy Center

1) .........0 to $22,800
2) $22,801 to $43,510
3) $43,511 to $72,000
4) $72,001 to $112, 261

The 4th quiltile (which I am in, any probably a large portion of FFC) in FFC is going to get hit by the new federal tax bill and probably the state of CT to collect more taxes.
Florida going be 2nd home for FFC residents

Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Household Income Quintiles | Tax Policy Center

1) .........0 to $22,800
2) $22,801 to $43,510
3) $43,511 to $72,000
4) $72,001 to $112, 261

I think you may be right. I don't pay anywhere near that amount in property taxes but I figure I will be paying more under the GOP's proposal. Jay

Old 12-15-2017, 09:49 AM

22 posts, read 13,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How is someone in a $200,000 home subsidizing someone in a $2 million home? They aren't.

I assume you are talking about the tax credit people get for their mortgage interest and property taxes. In case you do not know or understand it, the reason for the deductions is to encourage people to buy their own home. Studies show that homeowners are more responsible and better off financially than non-owners. They are more invested in their communities and in general better citizens. The current tax plan forgets this. The GOP is more interested in giving tax credits to big companies and the wealthy than encouraging the middle class to be more productive members of our society. Jay
Hilarious. You want to tax the rich more but then whine that Republicans are taking away tax breaks for the wealthy. Or even more ridiculous you think someone in a $2M home is middle class.

As for the notion of encouraging people to buy houses. As with anything the govt does, when it "helps drive costs down" it really increases costs. Don't believe me? Look at health care and education where the govt have been "helping drive costs down" for 50 years. How's that working out?

Allowing a mortgage deduction simply increases prices. Take an easy example. $100K house has $1000 payment. But then the govt decides to subsidize $100 of that payment with the MID. So what happens? The buyer now has an extra $100 to spend on housing. So they buy a $110K house. But since everyone now has that extra $100, the price of the $100K house increases to $110K. That's what happens when the govt subsidizes a product. The price of the product increases by the amount of the subsidy. This is econ 101.

You'll notice the real estate industry is screaming that with this tax plan home prices might fall. Horror of horrors!! Housing will become more affordable for the middle class. And we can't possibly have that, can we? The consumer in the long run won't be affected. But real estate agents will make less commission.

And yes I think I understand a thing or two about how these things work given I have a degree in economics and an MBA. But please, enlighten me some more Jay....

Last edited by Dolce_00; 12-15-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 AM

22 posts, read 13,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Precisely. If you knew nothing about the tax bill other than what the MSM reports, you wouldn't know that

a. Standard deduction is now $24K for married filers
b. Every tax rate is reduced

For probably 90% of Americans, $24K is more than the combined SALT deductions and mortgage deduction. I'm a pretty high earner now and my total deductions run about $25K a year. I live in a low tax state however. If I were in CT that $25K would be more like $45K (which is why I decided not to move to CT). But that's a CT problem, not a federal tax plan problem.

And even if you pay more than $25K the tax rate reductions will offset any deduction losses for everyone more or less (there will always be the oddball exception to the rule but with any policy that's the case).

Old 12-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Here is a bit of good news for seniors which my husband will be in a few years. I got a flyer in the mail from Marilyn Moore my state senator in Hartford. Here is one of the bullet points of the Bipartisan Budget Deal

Cuts Taxes for Retirees

Eliminates tax on Social Security and pension income for single filers below $75,000 and married joint filers below $100,000. I think it used to be $50,000 for singles and $60,000 for married joint.

I did not hear about this until I got the flyer. I actually think the thresholds are too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut