Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2017, 09:01 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,816 times

Advertisements

While CT is becoming less and less enterprise friendly most of states are becoming more and more friendly and it's a toxic combination. I'm sorry but the people who elected Rick Scott, Nate Deal, Scott Walker and the like are infinitely smarter than the people who elected Dan Malloy. You all may think they're stupid low IQ red necks but they actually understand that their state is in a competition for capital, for jobs, they have growing working classes in those states and life is much more practical for those people, government hasn't bid up their cost of living.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
While CT is becoming less and less enterprise friendly most of states are becoming more and more friendly and it's a toxic combination. I'm sorry but the people who elected Rick Scott, Nate Deal, Scott Walker and the like are infinitely smarter than the people who elected Dan Malloy. You all may think they're stupid low IQ red necks but they actually understand that their state is in a competition for capital, for jobs, they have growing working classes in those states and life is much more practical for those people, government hasn't bid up their cost of living.
Although CT economy is not growing as fast as other states. It still desireable state to live in but when Malloy leave office in 2018 and residents are smarter to pick better candidate we can see CT in upswing. The state has to be attractive for business lower taxes, legalize marijuana, sprout growth across the state not just Stamford and Norwalk. CT going need to clean up Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, New London, Meriden, New Britain. Transit need to be improve , State college system need re-valuation and much more.....

Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
New Haven has best chance of becoming regional city with Yale, Pizza, transportation, some sort of culture

Old 12-26-2017, 11:31 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
While I agree with your sentiments, remember Malloy is on his way (and not soon enough!). If the people of CT elect another tax and spend Democrat then I'm afraid they have everything that is coming to them. Ideally I'd like to see an R in the Governor's seat however will take a fiscally conservative D.

CT needs to cut it's losses with cities like Hartford, Bridgeport for now. Focus on revving up New Haven, Norwalk and New London. Stamford will be fine. Incentivize businesses to move here not only from NY but also MA. Full court press. Eliminate state income tax, increase consumption taxes instead. If CT can compete with places like NH (look up their economic stats), we are talking about a positive jolt to the system.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:08 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
While I agree with your sentiments, remember Malloy is on his way (and not soon enough!). If the people of CT elect another tax and spend Democrat then I'm afraid they have everything that is coming to them. Ideally I'd like to see an R in the Governor's seat however will take a fiscally conservative D.

CT needs to cut it's losses with cities like Hartford, Bridgeport for now. Focus on revving up New Haven, Norwalk and New London. Stamford will be fine. Incentivize businesses to move here not only from NY but also MA. Full court press. Eliminate state income tax, increase consumption taxes instead. If CT can compete with places like NH (look up their economic stats), we are talking about a positive jolt to the system.
This will never happen, ever. Almost half of our revenue comes from the income tax. Cutting this and still having to fund state obligations that have been unfunded for the past few decades is next to impossible unless we find new sources of revenue. All of the politicians that are saying they're running in an effort to elimate the income tax is only telling you what you want to hear. Remember Rowland's false promise?

Old 12-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
This will never happen, ever. Almost half of our revenue comes from the income tax. Cutting this and still having to fund state obligations that have been unfunded for the past few decades is next to impossible unless we find new sources of revenue. All of the politicians that are saying they're running in an effort to elimate the income tax is only telling you what you want to hear. Remember Rowland's false promise?
Fair enough. I am presenting a policy idea not necessarily believing anyone who is running on that platform.

What are your ideas on putting CT on the right (economic) track?

Old 12-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Fair enough. I am presenting a policy idea not necessarily believing anyone who is running on that platform.

What are your ideas on putting CT on the right (economic) track?
Believe me. If it was possible, I would support it 100%. I would legalize and tax marijuana through the roof. That's a start. I would just cut continue to cut spending, fix public sector unions by redoing how the pension system operates, and lower taxes to businesses.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:38 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,065,714 times
The fact the state hasn’t started the legalization process is absurd. Another Malloy foible.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The fact the state hasn’t started the legalization process is absurd. Another Malloy foible.
The amount of millennials that use marijuana is beyond staggering. Once they're old enough to get involved in public office, and if they voted in higher numbers then the support will be overwhelmingly in favor of it. Massachusetts nearly voted against it, and MA is a bluer state than CT IMO. Once Malloy leaves, the next governor will probably take it one step higher to fully legalizing it or at least closer.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Believe me. If it was possible, I would support it 100%. I would legalize and tax marijuana through the roof. That's a start. I would just cut continue to cut spending, fix public sector unions by redoing how the pension system operates, and lower taxes to businesses.
All reasonable ideas. My thought is that CT needs to "gimmick" to attract business investment/residents and if the 0% income tax is not possible, then perhaps a 0% sales tax. If you look at places like NH, TX -- the taxman gets his share one way or the other, however these two states are seen "pro-growth" because they have eliminated income taxes, however property taxes are higher than usual. Not saying that CT needs to raise property taxes, but rather eliminate one type of tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut