Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 12:58 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We need to convert to Defined Contributions, which require no state funding after the paydate..ever.

Just as the private sector's retirement is funded.

Not simply require a teeny weeny employee pension contribution.

Analysts rate Ct as 3rd in line likely to default, Il and NJ first.

https://insight.kellogg.northwestern...sions_in_peril
Nice article but it does not mention Connecticut or New Jersey for that matter. It mentions Ohio, Illinois, Rhode Island and Colorado. It says nothing about default of pension funds. It talks about the number of years of tax revenue needed to meet pension obligations but again nothing about default. And also note that this is approaching 8 years old so it is not necessarily current. Just saying, Jay

Old 02-04-2018, 01:02 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Nice article but it does not mention Connecticut or New Jersey for that matter. It mentions Ohio, Illinois, Rhode Island and Colorado. It says nothing about default of pension funds. It talks about the number of years of tax revenue needed to meet pension obligations but again nothing about default. And also note that this is approaching 8 years old so it is not necessarily current. Just saying, Jay
2nd link was on Ct.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:34 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
The time bomb is still ticking.

Largely due to Malloy not seizing a golden opportunity, when he issued 6k layoffs saying "Union turned down my LAST, final offer", then pulled the pink slips away.

That RIF change would have largely solved legacy cost problems, for generations to come.
What is your solution to teachers with 25 years that paid into their pension plan in lieu of Social Security and in many cases were given very limited options for contributing in quality tax-deferred contribution plans?

Changes can be be discussed and negotiated for future employees or teachers not vested but those already retired or near retirement do not have many options. There were no contributions by the municipalities that employed them to either SS or 401k match (or 403b/457).

Additionally, teachers do not qualify for a pension or SS if they leave before they vest in the pension plan. The vesting requirement is 10 years. If you leave before 10 years your money will only be credited interest for 10 years. For a young teacher who leaves this is a rotten deal. Either take out your money and pay taxes on it or let it sit for decades with only interest on it for 10 year after you leave. In any case up to 9 years of earnings count for nothing toward any retirement benefit. This group may be in favor of a solution worked out between the state and SS that matches back contributions and credits service.

Any discussion of eliminating benefits for existing retirees or those near retirement does not help find longterm workable solutions.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 02-04-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
What is your solution to teachers with 25 years that paid into their pension plan in lieu of Social Security and in many cases were given very limited options for contributing in quality tax-deferred contribution plans?

Changes can be be discussed and negotiated for future employees or teachers not vested but those already retired or near retirement do not have many options. There were no contributions by the municipalities that employed them to either SS or 401k match (or 403b/457).

Capped at that vesting level, more than adequate.

Legally no one can deny what was vested.

Convert to 401k past that point with employer match at normal private sector levels, about 4-5% employer max.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:50 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Clearly CT has not improved in the last 8 years, and has more challenges than ever before.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Capped at that vesting level, more than adequate.

Legally no one can deny what was vested.

Convert to 401k past that point with employer match at normal private sector levels, about 4-5% employer max.
The problem is the whole Social Security opt-out thing. If you pull the rug out from the pension, you don't get the 35 years of Social Security contributions. My retirement math mostly looks good because I have 35 years of max Social Security contributions. If I defer to age 70, that's $44,500 per year in 2018 dollars that is COLA-protected for life. I structured my life so I can live on that comfortably. My 401(k) and IRA distributions are 100% discretionary spending money.

If course, my math doesn't presume the unreasonable early retirement deals state workers & teachers get. I'm handcuffed until I'm 65 and Medicare-eligible and I wouldn't want to risk ACA being there. Using state & local tax dollars to fund retiree health care before age 65 is a deal none of the rest of us get.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The problem is the whole Social Security opt-out thing. If you pull the rug out from the pension, you don't get the 35 years of Social Security contributions. My retirement math mostly looks good because I have 35 years of max Social Security contributions. If I defer to age 70, that's $44,500 per year in 2018 dollars that is COLA-protected for life. I structured my life so I can live on that comfortably. My 401(k) and IRA distributions are 100% discretionary spending money.

If course, my math doesn't presume the unreasonable early retirement deals state workers & teachers get. I'm handcuffed until I'm 65 and Medicare-eligible and I wouldn't want to risk ACA being there. Using state & local tax dollars to fund retiree health care before age 65 is a deal none of the rest of us get.
A 55 year old teacher would have decades vested pension plus 10-12 years 401k match. Doable.

I do agree retiree health care for 50 somethings also needs to stop.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:40 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
A 55 year old teacher would have decades vested pension plus 10-12 years 401k match. Doable.

I do agree retiree health care for 50 somethings also needs to stop.
It's more complicated than your solution suggests. Changes to federal law would also be required as current law would limit any SS earnings that those switched over would receive due to WEP. This would hit anyone who has any eligibility for a pension. Additionally, the lost years of earnings that aren't counting toward substantial earnings requirements for SS would result in those with less than regular retirement vesting having a low pension and very limited retirement funds from SS.

This is not the same as when companies, like my former private employer, switched employees over from a pension to a defined contribution plan as employees were still eligible for a full SS benefit and credit for service. In addition, many were offered opportunities to contribute to a matched portion in their 401k with a quality plan to supplement the pension and SS they would be receiving.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:52 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
2018-2019 Budget

Taxnnecticut

"Eliminating a middle-class income tax credit; boosting cigarette, increase on hotel and real estate conveyance taxes from 15 to 17 percent; closing a sales tax exemption for over-the-counter medications; and stretching out spiking teacher pension costs similarly to last year’s restructuring of government contributions to the state employees’ pension."

Tax proposal

25 cents added on cigarette it $4.35 tied with New York state, ending the sales tax exemption for non-prescription medications

Sales tax 6.35% to 7%

Special 7 percent rate for restaurant transaction

Changes in the unitary tax on corporations would raise an estimated $25 million per year from major national retailers that operate in Connecticut. In addition, corporations would pay an additional $18 million in taxes due to a surcharge starting in the 2019 calendar year.

$3 tax on tires,

7 cent gas tax increase

Tolls

https://ctmirror.org/2018/02/05/mall...r-budget-cuts/

Gov. Malloy's 2019 budget includes no sales or income tax hikes - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Last edited by BPt111; 02-05-2018 at 04:04 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 03:54 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
I predict CT again will have no budget till December 2018-January 2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut