Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 09:25 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I know you wish to silence conservative voices.

PS: 2nd link was from CBIA, the folks who run Connecticut businesses.
CBIA is a bit interesting they are a business group. But there also an insurance re seller. and tend to lean conservative. They have been accused on a number of occasions of leaning a bit to much towards the latter then being a mouth piece for CT business.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:28 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
I know you wish to silence conservative voices.

PS: 2nd link was from CBIA, the folks who run Connecticut businesses.
I am an Independent and and I want to see the numerical truth or closest to the truth as I can find. Trust me, I watch Fox News, CNN and MSNBC etc. because I want to see what EVERYONE is putting forth.

PS: the CBIA report was for one month in 2016 and as you noted the CBIA is the business community in CT which leans right. I am not saying the CBIA is like FOX news but they do lean right.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
91 north of Hartford and 84 east of Hartford aren’t bad, particularly if you can use the carpool lane to escape the weaving and tailgating. The rest of the highway infrastructure is awful. The rail infrastructure for Amtrak is even worse.

Lower Fairfield County is the only place with huge congestion problems. The rest of the state hasn’t grown enough over the last 40 years to overwhelm the infrastructure. There’s nothing like NYC, Boston turnpike extension or Southeast Expressway, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, Bay Area, or Seattle. I was on I-84 eastbound in Hartford at 6:15am this morning on my way to BDL going 60 mph with normal 6:15am traffic. That’s not possible in those other places.
Hartford does have huge congestion issues. 84 thru Hartford is the busiest road in the state.

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
CBIA is not exactly the most objective source for information or opinions.
CBIA is our businessmen. Why would we not wish to know their thoughts? Should we wait for GEEXIT moments to hear them?

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetek View Post
me and my wife are making 115k gross in CT living in a condo and I don't consider myself rich at all, i can hardly believe this is called middle class at all. what I'm trying to say is that numbers are nothing without cost of living, and cost of living in CT plain sucks. i can't even imagine what i would do if I had two kids.
The median household income in Connecticut is about $70,000 so I would say you are definitely middle class. I am not sure what you expect. People who make double what you do struggle. It all depends on what your spending habits. A friend once said to me that they "lived comfortably above our income". Keep in mind that there is a reason that more affordable locations are more affordable for a reason and that is because the jobs there pay less. Your problems are nothing new. People have been saying this for generations. Nothing new. Jay

Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetek View Post
Your calculations are spot on. Including the fact me and my wife live in New Haven area. But my point was somewhat different - CT definitely looks good on paper. But if you take cost of living into consideration as well as taxes on this, taxes on that you will find out that big numbers don't always mean rich life. Not to mention that people are actually voting to implement tolls in the topic nearby. This is the first time i've ever seen population to actually vote for something which will take more money out of pocket. CT already has one of the best highway network in USA, I wish every state would have CT highways and service plazas, why would you want to add tolls on top of that is beyond me.
Connecticut is the only state on the east coast that does not have tolls on its highways. For 30 years now we have paid to let travelers from other states use our roads for free. Since we are such a small state, we do not necessarily get many people from other states to buy gas here and pay the gas taxes that support our transportation system. Our Transportation Fund is running out of money so something has to be done. Would you rather we just raise the gas tax and continue to support out-of-state travelers using our roads for free? Tolls are a user fee that has been used for centuries to fund roads. While I would love to be able to drive free on our highways, I am not ignorant enough to think that no one pays for them. Jay

Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
CBIA is our businessmen. Why would we not wish to know their thoughts? Should we wait for GEEXIT moments to hear them?
We should know their thoughts but just like any source of facts and opinions, we should realize that they are not objective or impartial. Jay

Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Connecticut is the only state on the east coast that does not have tolls on its highways. For 30 years now we have paid to let travelers from other states use our roads for free. Since we are such a small state, we do not necessarily get many people from other states to buy gas here and pay the gas taxes that support our transportation system. Our Transportation Fund is running out of money so something has to be done. Would you rather we just raise the gas tax and continue to support out-of-state travelers using our roads for free? Tolls are a user fee that has been used for centuries to fund roads. While I would love to be able to drive free on our highways, I am not ignorant enough to think that no one pays for them. Jay
The East Coast, though, is an anomaly there. Dozens of states collect no tolls, yet rank higher on road quality than Ct.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
We should know their thoughts but just like any source of facts and opinions, we should realize that they are not objective or impartial. Jay
Malloy did not listen to them.

He became the first Ct gov in decades to see corp hqs flee.

They warned him about his outrageous $2 billion in tax hikes.

His comments were dismissive. He reaped what he had sewn when they fled.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The East Coast, though, is an anomaly there. Dozens of states collect no tolls, yet rank higher on road quality than Ct.
Since the majority of the country's population live on the coasts (the west coast states have tolls too) and Texas, Illinois, Colorado and Pennsylvania; I would say the states without tolls are the anomalies. Lets face it, the reason some states have less problems with their roads is because they are in warmer climates that are not subjected to severe freezes and thaws or they do not have the traffic that the other states have. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut