Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 04:55 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post

You can pull up all the facts/data you want, people are leaving Connecticut plain and simple.
Here is a fact that just found. This is the kind of thing all of the "I moved to the best state and life is so much better than CT" people ALWAYS omit.

So LMPA/MiddleTN lived in CT and probably made a good living and had GREAT equity in their house. Enough to by another house and pay cash.

This is LMPA's past post.
"We would sell our home here, and the plan would be to be mortgage free. Our budget would be about 250K."

Do you really think that if you STARTED OUT in TN and you were SCHOOLED in TN you would be able to pull that kind of equity out of a house in TN. That came courtesy of living in CT.

I could sell my home in CT and move to a cheap southern state mortgage free too but I would not brag that my new state gave me the good life I am enjoying. I would be the first to say CT GAVE ME THE GOOD LIFE I NOW ENJOY even if I am in another state.

These people all have amnesia on this site and forget to tell you that they are MORTGAGE FREE courtesy of the state they came from which in this case happens to be CT.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:25 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Here is a fact that just found. This is the kind of thing all of the "I moved to the best state and life is so much better than CT" people ALWAYS omit.

So LMPA/MiddleTN lived in CT and probably made a good living and had GREAT equity in their house. Enough to by another house and pay cash.

This is LMPA's past post.
"We would sell our home here, and the plan would be to be mortgage free. Our budget would be about 250K."

Do you really think that if you STARTED OUT in TN and you were SCHOOLED in TN you would be able to pull that kind of equity out of a house in TN. That came courtesy of living in CT.
[/b]
Yes, in Nashville metro, where many regions have soared in value the last 20 years, as it has a , more often than not, extremely good economy, with tons of corps with hefty headcounts. Williamson County ranks high nationally in median income. Nissan hq is one of many of note there. 20 miles from Nashville downtown.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:02 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

Better to show median income by county, as FFC skews state data.

What I would not give to see Ct match Nashville metro's 10.2% growth rate, which will have it pass New Haven soon, Hartford next, with substantially lower COL.

We are underperforming drastically vs what we should expect. Government creating horrible business climate is a big cause, evidenced by terrible state Business Ranking by the folks who invest.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2020 at 01:08 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 06:09 PM

https://www.cbia.com/news/issues-pol...s-expect-2018/

Excellent image in here dissecting Ct Business rank by factors.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:12 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Are you from CT? Did you move to TN in retirement?

You can't change these stats.

*We are in the top 5 for best schools
*We are in the top 5 for HH Income
*We are in the top 5 for per capita GDP
*We are in the top 5 for millionaires per capita
*We are in the top 5 for the most people who hold degrees
*We are in the top 5 for healthcare (something new I just looked up)
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-an...or-health-care

About people leaving CT.

Of course people are leaving CT and I am not surprised. Here the thing middleTN. My family has been in CT for generations since the late 1800's. Many relatives of mine have second homes in FL. In retirement many make FL their first residence. Even my grandmother did that. Most of the retired residents in my area of Trumbull have second homes in FL and most make FL their primary residence.

Here is something to bear in mind. The baby boomers are now retiring en masse. So it makes logical sense that the northern states like CT would be loosing official residents since many are moving or making their primary residence down south.

My hypothesis would explain two things: 1) why CT is loosing residents and at the same time 2) having higher and higher incomes.

Here again middleTN, this is where I THINK FOR MYSELF. CT metrics are still very good to excellent. I have seen in another thread that white collar individuals are moving in. While I do believe it and it would make sense I still want to see the data on that. Because we have such good metrics in this state as an inquiring person I would want to see who is moving in and who is moving out before I jump to any conclusions.

YOU KEEP SAYING people are moving out but proffer no proof of that by data. Just seeing that more are moving out than moving in for me is meaningless since like I said I believe that it is the retiring baby boomers that are creating the negative numbers.
Answer to the question in bold.

http://www.ct.gov/opm/lib/opm/budget...ion_Trends.pdf

Old 01-26-2018, 08:17 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This is great information. Page 5 notes that we are losing people making $50,000 to $100,000 but are gaining people making over $100,000. To me that makes some sense as I would guess many of those we are losing are retirees. However it also says we are losing people making more than $5 million which is not good but I think has less of an impact than what we are gaining. Jay

Old 01-26-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU!! You get a pretty color for this link.

So far I have only gotten to page 5 but I see some good things but that might change in the pages after.

Here is something good and this is the pattern I have noticed in my very large family (upwards of 1000 relatives in Fairfield and New Haven counties) over 5 to 6 generations in CT.

Here it is from the survey.

"*Data on migration by age show that younger cohorts move at a higher rate than the rest of the
population.
*On net, Connecticut loses the most in the 18-21 year old age group - both in total numbers as well as
a proportion of this age group’s total population in Connecticut.
*On the other hand, on net, Connecticut gains the most in the 30-39 year old age groups, and
presumably their children ages 0 to 17."

The above is the exact pattern bolded I have been seeing in my family. A lot of the younger college age kids go off to schools mostly in NYC, Boston and RI. They live in the cities while single start a career etc. Then in their 30's many start boomeranging back. And then of course the migration of the retired relatives. Now in my family like I said in a previous post it appears they are gone because they make their primary residence in southern state but they still all have homes here. Officially they are gone from CT but are still paying taxes on their now 2nd residence in CT (which used to be their primary home before retirement). Most of my retired neighbors do the same thing.

I have not read that far but I wonder if the people like my relatives I neighbors are being accounted for. When someone like LMPA leaves for MiddleTN he/she is gone completely but that is not the case with my older relatives. My older (and wealthier) relatives still have a monetary impact on the state of CT by paying taxes on the 2nd home and of course goods and services when they are back in CT.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
CT birth rates are declining

Old 01-26-2018, 09:19 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
THANK YOU!! You get a pretty color for this link.

So far I have only gotten to page 5 but I see some good things but that might change in the pages after.

Here is something good and this is the pattern I have noticed in my very large family (upwards of 1000 relatives in Fairfield and New Haven counties) over 5 to 6 generations in CT.

Here it is from the survey.

"*Data on migration by age show that younger cohorts move at a higher rate than the rest of the
population.
*On net, Connecticut loses the most in the 18-21 year old age group - both in total numbers as well as
a proportion of this age group’s total population in Connecticut.
*On the other hand, on net, Connecticut gains the most in the 30-39 year old age groups, and
presumably their children ages 0 to 17."

The above is the exact pattern bolded I have been seeing in my family. A lot of the younger college age kids go off to schools mostly in NYC, Boston and RI. They live in the cities while single start a career etc. Then in their 30's many start boomeranging back. And then of course the migration of the retired relatives. Now in my family like I said in a previous post it appears they are gone because they make their primary residence in southern state but they still all have homes here. Officially they are gone from CT but are still paying taxes on their now 2nd residence in CT (which used to be their primary home before retirement). Most of my retired neighbors do the same thing.

I have not read that far but I wonder if the people like my relatives I neighbors are being accounted for. When someone like LMPA leaves for MiddleTN he/she is gone completely but that is not the case with my older relatives. My older (and wealthier) relatives still have a monetary impact on the state of CT by paying taxes on the 2nd home and of course goods and services when they are back in CT.
A lot of 20 something say CT is boring they want move to NYC, Boston, Florida , Denver etc

Old 01-26-2018, 09:50 PM

Here it is as to why our income is going up despite people leaving.

Table 2.3-1 Growth in Filers by AGI Group

Growth 2010-2015
$15,000-$50,000.................-2.2% (negative growth)
$50,000-$100,000...............-0.2% (negative growth)
$100,000-$200,000..............12.1%
$200,000-$500,000..............33.9%
$500,000-$1,000,000............31.4%
$1,000,000-$5,000,000.........26.3%
$5,000,000 or more..............27.9%

The two lowest income groups saw negative growth but everything else saw (IMO) amazing growth and accounts for our higher state standing of late in the HH income and per capita income increases.

Mr_250 gets a gold star for this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut