Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 11:24 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Those towns aren't examples of sprawl. They directly abut the local urban center (Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven). Its pretty easy to hop over the boarder to get from Fairfield into Bridgeport. Sprawl refers to the towns that are distant from the urban center which were uncommutable to the urban center. The better example is people in Canton or Vernon commuting to Hartford, which would not have happened with any regularity before the creation of the interstate system.

Personally, I have no problem with sprawl. Different people want to live in different areas. So be it.
I disagree. The only difference is that they were built a long time ago. They are lower density communities that are far from employment centers. That is sprawl that was built before the term "sprawl" existed. Jay

Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 AM

266 posts, read 245,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's good news, but one would think an announcement regarding new jobs would include link(s) to how to apply for those jobs.
I took a quick look at their website, and I don't think the jobs are really reflected there yet. When they were mass hiring last year, they had pages and pages of jobs, and multiples of all positions.

I'm guessing it may take a few months to figure out what the exact needs are. I know they have been doing job fairs locally.

The person that bought our home in Connecticut had just retired from the military, and transferred to CT for a job in Groton. I'm thinking we sold a bit too soon after this news! HA

It has been the saving grace for that whole area. I have a few family members and friends that work there.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:08 PM

413 posts, read 317,224 times
Anyone in Connecticut who fears sprawl is out of their mind. Connecticut does not have a sprawl problem. Heck, Connecticut could use more sprawl as that would be a sign of economic growth.

Connecticut's 0.3 percent average annual economic growth rate (as measured in GDP) since the 2008-09 recession is among the worst in the country, while many of Connecticut's tax rates (including corporate, sales, income and property) are higher than the U.S. average.

At the same time, the state has lost population in each of the last six years and the average departing household earned $123,000 annually in income vs. the $93,000 earned annually by households moving into the state.

States that are losing population and have 20% negative household income decline do not have a sprawl problem.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure if anything has been posted before about this group. Some of the state's leading businessmen formed a coalition to make recommendations to improve our state's business climate. The legislature wisely help fund the group with a goal of developing a report that outlines changes to the state to improve the business climate and steady its finances. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. It will be more interesting to see if the state legislature follows through on the recommendations. Jay

Two CEOs shaping CT economic policy say state's future at stake | HartfordBusiness.com
They won't. When led by someone named Looney....

Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Suburban sprawl has been going on long before the interstate highways were built. How else do you explain suburbs like West Hartford, Fairfield, West Haven where many homes were built before World War II? The suburbs were built on the growing affluence of the middle class who were tired of living on top of each other and wanted their own little plot of land. There is nothing "unnatural" about that. I will agree though that the interstate highway system extended and expedited that exodus.

Again I disagree that things have changed that much. When I was young, many of my peers moved to cities too to live and work but once they began forming families, they headed straight to the suburbs. While the general media likes to promote the demise of the suburbs but the facts show it is just not happening since homes there are still selling and new homes are still being built. You don't see it as much in the northeast because there is not the land left to expand and our strong zoning and environmental laws prevent it but go to the south and out west and it is still happening. Jay
They headed to burbs as cities, when we were millenials age, were war zones.

Cities are safe now.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Connecticut has end it losing job streak in December 2017 as the state reported it has added 6,000 jobs in month of December. CT job market is not growing as fast as we expect it snail growth or the same.

“This says the state’s economy is basically ‘moving sideways’, and again, ‘is precariously on the edge of recession’ as of early 2018,” Klepper-Smith said."

CT News Junkie | Connecticut Ends Year On Positive Jobs Note

Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They headed to burbs as cities, when we were millenials age, were war zones.

Cities are safe now.
Not really. Many of my classmates went to work in major cities like New York, Boston, Providence, Hartford, etc. I worked in Bridgeport. It is true that crime has dropped in cities since then but they were hardly war zones. Most of the crime was limited to certain areas which young educated professionals avoided. And cities still have crime today. It is less than it was but it is hardly completely safe. Jay

Old 01-22-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Not really. Many of my classmates went to work in major cities like New York, Boston, Providence, Hartford, etc. I worked in Bridgeport. It is true that crime has dropped in cities since then but they were hardly war zones. Most of the crime was limited to certain areas which young educated professionals avoided. And cities still have crime today. It is less than it was but it is hardly completely safe. Jay
No offense, but I spent far, far more time in NY than you, when it was a war zone. early 80s, 6 murders daily average, 2 per day in Bronx.

Cops ignored midtown to Port Authority, unless the crime was murder.

Went to Fordham, and once a week or more, a Fordham Rd merchant torched his business for insurance money.

Guardian Angels met at Jerome Ave 4 train 1.5 miles from university.

Post Rudy G, and Bloomberg, 1 murder per day in all of NYC.

That era (70s to late 80s) was part of the reason corp hqs fled urban jungles. Add in 60s riots also had employees wanting safer places to work.

Rudy G knew no cleanup, no Disney, no ESPN, just smut in midtown, drugs, violence, etc.

The movie Fort Apache , the Bronx set one precinct from Fordham, understated how bad it was.

Had I not been young and dumb about the danger, I would have chosen a campus elsewhere.

Bridgeport, at its worst, was far safer than NYC in that tragic era. (Other than a few years under Ganim as murders hit about 100 in Bridgeport at the peak..which was above NYC 80s rate per 1,000).

Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
NYC had average 1,500-2000 murders per year in from 1970-1994 after 1994 crime starting to drop in NYC. 1990 was worst year in NYC with 2300 murders. NYC daily average was 5-7 murders per day some parts of city was very dangerous and vicious

Harlem, The Bronx, part of Brooklyn use to look like this in 1980s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AVzkTd9R44

Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut has end it losing job streak in December 2017 as the state reported it has added 6,000 jobs in month of December. CT job market is not growing as fast as we expect it snail growth or the same.

“This says the state’s economy is basically ‘moving sideways’, and again, ‘is precariously on the edge of recession’ as of early 2018,” Klepper-Smith said."

CT News Junkie | Connecticut Ends Year On Positive Jobs Note
Might want to keep the bubbly on ice for a tad longer. One month is not a trend. That and if these numbers are anything like the feds they are corrected months later.
Love to see things get better here for all of us.
The best news would be for Amazon to pick NYC, and for NY and NJ to outpace us in the tax raising game. They are off to a good start!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut