Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 05:35 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Foxwoods, per WTNH, is laying off employees 5-1, which means, unlike a furlough, they discontinue their benefits.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:49 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
This has nothing to do with retirees. There is alot of manufacturer in the south. People that cant work from home but doesnt make them any less uneducated then someone somewhere else just because you can work from home...

And for Florida just like someone else mentioned Disney world isnt going anywhere. Miami another big tourist destination and its not going anywhere either.
True, but none of those tourist destinations are going to see anything close to their typical numbers for a year or two, as a result of social distancing measures and/or people being too afraid to go. The tourism/travel industry is going to be the hardest hit and last to recover, IMO.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:29 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with retirees. There is alot of manufacturer in the south. People that cant work from home but doesnt make them any less uneducated then someone somewhere else just because you can work from home...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itories_by_GDP

GDP Per Capita
1 NY.....$90,043......THE POWER OF EDUCATION
2 MA.....$86,942.....THE POWER OF EDUCATION
3 CT......$81,055.....THE POWER OF EDUCATION

GA.......$58,896
LA........$57,445
NC.......$56,862
TN.......$56,862
FL........$51,745
SC.......$48,547
AL........$47,735
AR........$44,808
WV.......$43,806
MS.......$40,464

We are way more educated than the southern states and the GDP per capita shows it. BTW a lot of manufacturing is open right now.

“Our industry (manufacturing) has been on the front lines throughout this crisis, providing the equipment and products to keep our country safe, healthy and fed."
https://www.nam.org/manufacturers-re...press-releases

Quote:

And for Florida just like someone else mentioned Disney world isnt going anywhere. Miami another big tourist destination and its not going anywhere either.
Disney may not be going anywhere but I bet the amount of people going on vacation there will be under 50% of normal....maybe way less than 50% going until a vaccine is made.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:11 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times
Yes if CT is so smart how do we end up with so much unfunded obligations?
Look at people growing up in 3rd world countries doing extremely well.
Fancy buildings don't equate to Jonny being motivated etc....

Universities will hopefully learn this when enrollment drops.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:49 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times
The power of Govt unions could be the argument as well.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:33 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
EDITED
“Bold statement Cotton, we’ll see how it plays out for them”. - Dodgeball

Just because a place is more expensive doesn’t mean it is more educated. Education has different meanings. I work with electricians who can run circles around me with intelligence and they have OTJ training and apprenticeships meanwhile I have a BA and MBA. I can’t hold a candle to some of the knowledge they have. Plus, those those higher incomes are from the cities and suburbs around major employment areas i.e NYC, Boston, Stamford:Hartford. Go to upstate NY and tell me they are educated, same thing for CT. Just read the Killingly thread, people equate it to Alabama.

NC has the research triangle, SC has the Citadel. You’re telling me they aren’t educated. I don’t think GDP has a correlation with wealth.

Our widgets are more expensive and the land is more expensive, doesn’t mean we are smarter. If I recall they build helicopters in Alabama as well.
No one is saying that the southern states don’t have smart people or that working people or people in the trades aren’t intelligent but studies have shown that higher education means higher incomes. Jay

https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/20...ation-pays.htm

Old 05-09-2020, 02:20 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No one is saying that the southern states don’t have smart people or that working people or people in the trades aren’t intelligent but studies have shown that higher education means higher incomes. Jay

Ok, and I’ll agree to that. A lot of CT GDP is based around defense manufacturing which they also do in southern states. So correlating GDP to education makes not sense. If a person is building a helicopter up here and another person building a helicopter in the south, does it make the helicopter safer if it was built in CT? Both helicopters are up to code. The person in the south is more than likely getting paid less, but birth are equAl quality.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:18 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times
I think that is exactly what CTArtist was saying or strongly implying and it seems clear others felt that way too.

[/b]
Quote:

Old 05-09-2020, 05:43 PM

208 posts, read 113,972 times
Quote:
No one is saying that the southern states don’t have smart people or that working people or people in the trades aren’t intelligent but studies have shown that higher education means higher incomes.
You may be right. But I have a PhD and have read countless research papers. The words “studies have shown” are often the equivalent of “somebody has mis-used statistics to try to prove”.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:53 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
OK...Let me explain this a SECOND way in addition to my first. Kismet that I saw this article today.

Workers without college degree hit hardest by record unemployment.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/workers-w...201445312.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/the-...s-in-2018.html
10 MOST EDUCATED STATES
1. Massachusetts
2. Maryland
3. Connecticut
4. Vermont
5. Colorado
6. Virginia
7. New Hampshire
8. Minnesota
9. Washington
10. New Jersey

10 LEAST EDUCATED STATES
41. New Mexico
42. Oklahoma
43. Tennessee
44. Nevada
45. Kentucky
46. Alabama
47. Arkansas
48. Louisiana
49. West Virginia
50. Mississippi (least educated)

You see if you are making the widgets (manufacturing) or cleaning up after the people who are making the widgets you are the lowest paid workers in the company. If you 1) work on Wall Street and loan money to the companies making the widgets you make WAY MORE MONEY. Also if you 2) come up with the concept of the company and 3) design the widget you make way more money too. Also if you 4) have the ad company that help promotes the widget you make a lot of money too. AND EDUCATION IS THE KEY TO JOBS 1, 2, 3 and 4. And a lot of jobs (1, 2, 3 & 4) can be done at home and there are many in the tri-state area as opposed to down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut