Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 12:13 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
No, I really meant "takers" -- that is residents which CT has to subsidize. This thread is 8 years old and 1575 long. We have provided links how CT has replaced middle to high income individuals with low income.

This trend started slowly in the 1990s, and accelerated in 2000s and 2010s. I already provided links in this thread. I can't keep posting the same links that paint a picture that members here either forget or ignore.
any idea what pages the links are on? or what year?

Old 02-17-2021, 02:38 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Alden is the ultimate vulture capitalist. These guys cut and cut and make money off whatever little meat is left on the bone. One article is read is that their papers net about 3% but the investment group makes about 17%. In the old days of newspapers, 80% was the norm.

They'll do what they did the to Herald in Boston. They cut about 20% of the workforce on day 1 and have continued to whittle away at it. Heck, they got rid of their ad sales staff relying on a centralized sales staff to work on all their local papers. Articles appear in multiple papers and publishers are running 3 or 4 papers across a large area. The same will happen to the Courant. I'm guessing that staff will be shared between the Courant and the NY Post.

IMHO, newspapers with good journalism will be owned by philanthropists that are more interested in public service versus turning a profit. Boston Globe, NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times are all examples of that.

Notice a philanthropist bought the Baltimore paper the Tribune owned to keep it safe from the Alden sharks.

At some point, long after too much damage has been done, I do think there will be a revolt vs PE, and the public will force politicians to weaponize the US tax code against these treacherous firms. I did agree with an idea Elizabeth Warren proposed (and I am conservative) which would disallow PE from saddling corps with massive debt to repay their purchase cost, then sell the corp, leaving IT with the debt. This debt is a ticking time bomb which will destroy millions of jobs , long-term.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 02-17-2021 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 04:30 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Notice a philanthropist bought the Baltimore paper the Tribune owned to keep it safe from the Alden sharks.

At some point, long after too much damage has been done, I do think there will be a revolt vs PE, and the public will force politicians to weaponize the US tax code against these treacherous firms. I did agree with an idea Elizabeth Warren proposed (and I am conservative) which would disallow PE from saddling corps with massive debt to repay their purchase cost, then sell the corp, leaving IT with the debt. This debt is a ticking time bomb which will destroy millions of jobs , long-term.
Yep, Stuart Bainum, Jr. He and his wife also signed the Giving Pledge.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:07 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
No, I really meant "takers" -- that is residents which CT has to subsidize. This thread is 8 years old and 1575 long. We have provided links how CT has replaced middle to high income individuals with low income.

This trend started slowly in the 1990s, and accelerated in 2000s and 2010s. I already provided links in this thread. I can't keep posting the same links that paint a picture that members here either forget or ignore.

If this was true, the Gini coefficient would be decreasing. aka income inequality. Statistics do not agree with your statement.

1990s to mid 2000's

https://www.cbpp.org/sites/default/f...=1613606532151

state of CT in 2019 has the 2nd greatest income inequality in the nation. (NY #1 - PR and DC are actually worse, but they are not states)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...r-by-us-state/

You can't have growing income inequality if all the high income earners are leaving and being replaced with low income earners.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:17 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You can't have growing income inequality if all the high income earners are leaving and being replaced with low income earners.
Earlier in this thread, numerous sources have noted new CT residents replacing those leaving had a double digit percentage less income. Growing inequality has zero to do with whether or not high income people are coming or going. Math is interesting like that.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:34 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Earlier in this thread, numerous sources have noted new CT residents replacing those leaving had a double digit percentage less income. Growing inequality has zero to do with whether or not high income people are coming or going. Math is interesting like that.
Clickbait? As I said, if this was a real trend, you would see it in our income numbers and they just aren’t there. Attrition is common in all states. This is where a worker moves up through the ranks in their job and retires at their peak income. Other workers move up to higher paying positions but new workers come in at lower salaries. This is common throughout the country and nothing new Jay

Old 02-17-2021, 07:53 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Clickbait? As I said, if this was a real trend, you would see it in our income numbers and they just aren’t there. Attrition is common in all states. This is where a worker moves up through the ranks in their job and retires at their peak income. Other workers move up to higher paying positions but new workers come in at lower salaries. This is common throughout the country and nothing new Jay
No it was not clickbait. It was a source that was very much reputable and I can search the thread to find it (may take me a few). Covid changed a bit regarding the real estate market in Connecticut, but there’s a lot more to an economy than home sales (that, and a blistering market is being experienced nationwide. There’s no denying there was a real and damaging economic issue facing the state for almost a good decade. Hopefully, with businesses being reported as fleeing NYC, that trend has stopped.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:25 AM

A new New Haven biological Research Company is proposing to build a $36 million 50,000 square foot facility in Windsor’s Great Pond development. Nice. Jay

https://www.newhavenbiz.com/article/...s-windsor-site

Old 03-11-2021, 01:03 PM

A Farmington based health management company is planning on hiring 287 employees. Great news. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...mmi-story.html

Old 03-11-2021, 01:22 PM

Strartford based Sikoeshy Helicopter Reported they hired 1,000 employees in 2020. Wow,I knew they had been hiring but no where near that many. Great news. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...4my-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut