Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,207,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Since computer power and data collection has become so much easier and reliable there's no reason to live in CT and work in NY (to avoid income taxes) because that isn't possible any more.
Are you trying to say that pre-computer age, NY companies did not withhold NYS Income tax from CT residents?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 PM

610 posts, read 533,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Jay, your awfully defensive. Did the article say there was no other wealth in the state? No. Only that most was concentrated in the southwest corner of Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan,etc. The facts are in the article if you would read the whole thing.

Historically less expensive than NY? Yes, And the key to that was no income tax. Many people on all of these state forums are all looking for similar things, good quality housing, schools, within earshot of their jobs. When CT was 0% income tax that was a gargantuan blinking "COME HERE" signal to those whom the state income tax of NY vs NONE in CT. Do you think the very people debating Westchester v Fairfield County weren't doing the trade-off of a few more minutes commute vs a big fat 0% income tax? It is logical. You had part of the tri-state area drawing people in. Now that arbitrage is finished and the result is over time that money leaves the state. It is hard to understand why this is so difficult to comprehend.
I agree with the general thrust of your post, but want to make a couple of clarifications. Conn. actually did have an income tax prior to 1992--it was a tax on interest and dividend income, something like 6%. Not a big deal for most but there it was. It was eliminated when the general income tax was instituted and the sales tax rate was reduced from 8% to 6%. Also, a family moving from NY to Conn. in those days would not save income tax if their jobs were in NY--they would still owe tax to NY and the situation is the same today. What did happen is that a lot of firms took advantage of the robust economic climate back then (no "earned" income tax included) to open up offices and headquarters here. All those big office complexes which are now apparently obsolete were filling up. It was a great place to move to. Lower property taxes than NY and NJ, one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (remember those days?) and companies moving in and buildings going up, lots of jobs to be had.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 PM

789 posts, read 703,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There was a report released last year that showed population shifts of each area. SW CT saw a major influx of those from New York (actually so did New Haven County). The shift was great enough for me to be confident in using the word "flock".
Yep, click on the link. Gaining from NY but bleeding TO other places.

So what your saying is "relative to NY" it is attractive. No argument there although it was MUCH MORE attractive previously.

Pretty good interactive link: IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown

Old 05-26-2016, 07:58 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Did people suddenly begin moving for retirement reasons and discover FL in 1992?
No, people have been moving to Florida to retire since the 1930's at least. That's why the data is useless unless it excludes these people.

It would make more sense to compare migration from CT to another low tax state that has similar weather such as Kansas. I don't think many people are flocking to KS for lower taxes.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Are you trying to say that pre-computer age, NY companies did not withhold NYS Income tax from CT residents?
I'm sure they did, but if NY's rate was lower than CT's rate the CT residents would only pay to NY BEFORE CT had an income tax. I don't know what NY rates were at the time, but in CT 1991 was 1.5% 1992 and forward was 4.5%.

There's also the lesser known dividends and interest tax. About 1988 CT started taxing those at 6%.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:22 PM

789 posts, read 703,108 times
Quote:
No, people have been moving to Florida to retire since the 1930's at least. That's why the data is useless unless it excludes these people.

It would make more sense to compare migration from CT to another low tax state that has similar weather such as Kansas. I don't think many people are flocking to KS for lower taxes.
Not only do people flee the state for income tax purposes, the wealthy also flee bc of the ridiculous estate and gift tax. CT is the only state in the country that imposes a gift tax.

Clearly you didnt click the link. Your Kansas example is borderline ridiculous. Your thesis is erroneous because we are talking about NET dollars leaving the state. If the state were healthy and attracting people/businesses then all the retirees could flee to Florida and the new money would offset it. But we are talking net outflow.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:24 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Huh? I hope not for financials reasons since sales tax is peanuts in comparison. Also sales tax is arguably the most fair, since people are paying based on their lifestyle choices, not getting skimmed off the top by a bunch of goons.

I would favor though, if all states eliminated the single item cap. That makes it less fair, as the wealthy would benefit the most from this.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I was thinking of FL when I wrote that...

Most of my experience has been in New haven. Local roads by me are fair condition. TN wouldn't even be a fair comparison because of the milder weather and also because the nashville metro economy is doing incredibly well-an important distinction. That being said, CT made the right choice in seducing the worlds largest hedge fund, since CT doesn't need any more economic hits.

That is true. Nashville metro economy makes managing their state finances very easy. At this point, UBS has more employees in Nashville then Stamford. (Although I think they will need more space there despite being in a building of about 15 floors).

And yes Ct had no choice but to pay the greenmail to the hedge fund to stay.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:02 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Yep, click on the link. Gaining from NY but bleeding TO other places.

So what your saying is "relative to NY" it is attractive. No argument there although it was MUCH MORE attractive previously.

Pretty good interactive link: IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown
Lol all that link says is make your money in CT, NY, MA, PA, IL, and CA and retire somewhere cheaper. It says nothing on how productive the economy is for individuals

Old 05-26-2016, 10:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Sure, but the growing gap of taxes between the two states strongly skews the choice toward Florida.

Quote:
Kansas weather? Similar to CT? Not on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut