Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 02:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
They shouldn't give a dime to Aetna. That company has encouraged remote employees so 3/4 their workforce lives in CT but never comes to the office. So we're going to beg them to stay just so their building can remain in Hartford, mostly empty? Let them go, it won't hurt CT's unemployment. Put the money toward attracting a new business.
Highly, highly doubt 3/4 of their employees even live in CT. They're in all 50 states so I'd bet the majority are outside it.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:46 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
They shouldn't give a dime to Aetna. That company has encouraged remote employees so 3/4 their workforce lives in CT but never comes to the office. So we're going to beg them to stay just so their building can remain in Hartford, mostly empty? Let them go, it won't hurt CT's unemployment. Put the money toward attracting a new business.
I agree - not on thin dime should be given to Aetna. They closed their Middletown office and cosolodated those jobs to the Hartford office. They also encourage people to work from home 2-3 days per week. They have actually noted this in some of their job postings.

Also, their net income for 2015 was 2.39 billion dollars. They are also part of the healthcare oligopoly that the congress and President Obama basically handed them thru the Affordable health care act. They even have noted this in their 2015 financial statements. (although they don't acknowledge that they are part of the oligopoly).

The Fed Govt basically handed them a perpetual income stream. They have a lot of audacity to ask for handouts after that.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:43 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I hope any package also includes requirements to hire in CT otherwise it may not be worth it. A company like that can easily decide to hire and invest in XYZ cheap area for most of its jobs, while taking CT's money and letting HQ grow smaller.

I agree, it should be tied to FTEs, and unlike UBS, AETNA should not be rewarded for a guarantee starting at the outrageous 29% cut UBS's deal was based at. UBS got $ at 2,000 employees and they had 2,800 at deal-signing time.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:46 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I agree - not on thin dime should be given to Aetna. .

So you would welcome losing those valuable jobs? Interesting.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I know we talked a little about this, the state is giving Westport based Bridgewater Associates $22 million in loans (possibly forgivable) to stay and expand here in Connecticut. Bridgewater is the world's largest hedge fund and has about 1,400 employees here and plans to add 750 more. The state had previously given them a package of $162 million when they were planning to build a $500 million headquarters in Stamford. That deal fell through but the fact they are ready to renovate their current building in Westport and expand in other facilities in the town giving a potential for over 2,000 well paying jobs, it seems to me that $22 million is a small price to pay when you consider the $162 million that Boston and Massachusetts is giving GE to move 200 jobs there. If Bridgewater left wouldn't the same people so up in arms about GE be screaming? I think so. No one likes the fact that we have to do this but this is the way businesses currently operate. They try to squeeze every last penny they can out of us and do less and less to improve the world. Sad but true. Jay

Controversial hedge fund aid passes with little opposition | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 05-31-2016, 08:52 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
On a sad note, Hallmark's Enfield warehouse will be closed by June laying off more than 500 workers. That is not good but there have been a few additions in the area that hopefully off set that loss including Amazon's massive new fulfillment center in Windsor. Still it is a big loss. Jay

Hallmark will lay off 534 by June | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
On a sad note, Hallmark's Enfield warehouse will be closed by June laying off more than 500 workers. That is not good but there have been a few additions in the area that hopefully off set that loss including Amazon's massive new fulfillment center in Windsor. Still it is a big loss. Jay

Hallmark will lay off 534 by June | HartfordBusiness.com
Maybe Malloy should offer them 22 million to stay

Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Highly, highly doubt 3/4 of their employees even live in CT. They're in all 50 states so I'd bet the majority are outside it.
The majority are not outside CT, I can assure you.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know we talked a little about this, the state is giving Westport based Bridgewater Associates $22 million in loans (possibly forgivable) to stay and expand here in Connecticut. Bridgewater is the world's largest hedge fund and has about 1,400 employees here and plans to add 750 more. The state had previously given them a package of $162 million when they were planning to build a $500 million headquarters in Stamford. That deal fell through but the fact they are ready to renovate their current building in Westport and expand in other facilities in the town giving a potential for over 2,000 well paying jobs, it seems to me that $22 million is a small price to pay when you consider the $162 million that Boston and Massachusetts is giving GE to move 200 jobs there. If Bridgewater left wouldn't the same people so up in arms about GE be screaming? I think so. No one likes the fact that we have to do this but this is the way businesses currently operate. They try to squeeze every last penny they can out of us and do less and less to improve the world. Sad but true. Jay

Controversial hedge fund aid passes with little opposition | HartfordBusiness.com
Hard to say if it's a small/large price without crunching the numbers but... to be fair, MA didn't give GE $162 million to move 200 jobs. It gave them $162 million to relocate their HQ and invest $80-100 million into building their new campus, which will bring in a lot more value in income and property taxes than 200 heads alone. I do think the Bridgewater deal seems promising since at least we know they will be middle to high income folks.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The majority are not outside CT, I can assure you.
"Of Aetna’s 50,000 employees company-wide, 6,000 work in Connecticut." Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...tition-to.html

"That's not just stability for a venerable corporate citizen; it raises the hope that the company's 6,100-person workforce in Connecticut will survive more or less intact." Source: Hope, Worry Over Aetna's Hometown Workforce - Hartford Courant

I used to work at Aetna. Source: me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut