Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 06:39 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
possibly. To the extent we wfh, Southwest Ct benefits some. I spend between $30 and $50 week more, on lunch at a deli in Milford, vs when I work in NYC.

I'd be surprised to be in the office before q3, at the earliest, and even then, it will likely be part of each month, at most.
While many have undoubtedly suffered, this has been a financial boon to many folks I know still getting direct deposits wfh, saving on commuting costs, gas, daycare, fine dining out, among others.
One couple has re-directed funds towards home improvements. Others are still buying homes here in the Stub hand over fist.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:43 AM

184 posts, read 106,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
While many have undoubtedly suffered, this has been a financial boon to many folks I know still getting direct deposits wfh, saving on commuting costs, gas, daycare, fine dining out, among others.
One couple has re-directed funds towards home improvements. Others are still buying homes here in the Stub hand over fist.
I am finding all the costs savings from no longer commuting are going to the higher electricity bill since everyone is home working or schooling, and now into the food bill since those prices are going higher and everyone is home eating every meal.

Maybe once i see the credit on my car insurance I come out a bit ahead.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:07 AM

538 posts, read 331,691 times
Quote:
We are lucky to still get our direct deposits while working from home 2.5 days a week (each wife and I split to watch kids). Last month we spent $68 in gas when we typically spend $200-250 a month. Also all the kids activities being cancelled and going out much less we are saving a lot of money that we typically spend in a month.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
I am finding all the costs savings from no longer commuting are going to the higher electricity bill since everyone is home working or schooling, and now into the food bill since those prices are going higher and everyone is home eating every meal.

My savings far exceed a $20-30 uptick in electricity and groceries. I'm good with leftovers.
You don't want to know what we used to spend on fine dining out every month. I'm not talking about Applebees and McDonalds.

More importantly, many aren't in the same boat. I hope for the best for those folks who work at the Applebees of the world.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
No Rush On Buying But Right-Priced Homes In Desirable Areas Still Sell In Fairfield County

About half the home buyers in Fairfield County are on hold, "said Jeff Woda, a real estate broker with Coldwell Banker
If $600s-700s for 1500 sq ft or a fixer upper in East Norwalk selling in 2 days is Right-Priced, I don't even want to know what Wrong-Priced is.

Jeff Woda needs to get down to southern FFC before making that statement.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:02 AM

184 posts, read 106,675 times
Quote:
My savings far exceed a $20-30 uptick in electricity and groceries. I'm good with leftovers.
You don't want to know what we used to spend on fine dining out every month. I'm not talking about Applebees and McDonalds.

More importantly, many aren't in the same boat. I hope for the best for those folks who work at the Applebees of the world.
Well my uptick in groceries is about $50-75 a week. All meals get eaten here as we only make what people are going to eat, so no leftovers. Its cancelling out all savings at the moment.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:06 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
New York City’s wealthiest neighborhoods have emptied out. About 40% of the residents there have left the city according to a study outlined in an article today in the New York Times. Interesting info but not surprising. Jay

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ronavirus.html

Old 05-15-2020, 09:32 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
New York City’s wealthiest neighborhoods have emptied out. About 40% of the residents there have left the city according to a study outlined in an article today in the New York Times. Interesting info but not surprising. Jay

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ronavirus.html
How does it affect 2020 census and the economy ?

Old 05-15-2020, 09:51 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
New Canaan, Wilton, Weston, Rowayton, Southport, Ridgefield, Redding hasn't make the cut

Darien ranks 10th
Old Greenwich ranks 16
Riverside ranks 22
Westport ranks 23

Old 05-15-2020, 10:21 AM

487 posts, read 537,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post

My two month auto insurance savings was $24. The increased electric bill alone exceeds the auto insurance savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut