Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 AM

996 posts, read 379,113 times

Advertisements

https://talkpoverty.org/state-year-r...t-2018-report/

CT is in the top ten in 4 areas of poverty level

Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There is a 0.06% difference between us and New Jersey. That is statistically insignificant. Need I remind you that we now have nine people on the Forbes 400 list of the richest people in the country. That is up from seven from previous years. For a state with less than 1% of the US population, I would say that is significant. Statistically we should have about 3. We have three times that number. Jay
That’s great, but still doesn’t change the fact it’s going in the wrong direction. Millionaires, income, jobs and population are either declining or aren’t budging. The GDP has only had a 1% growth, which is one of the lowest in the country. While CT has its great qualities, like schools, it’s hard to deny what’s happening.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s great, but still doesn’t change the fact it’s going in the wrong direction. Millionaires, income, jobs and population are either declining or aren’t budging. The GDP has only had a 1% growth, which is one of the lowest in the country. While CT has its great qualities, like schools, it’s hard to deny what’s happening.
But again we are No. 3 in Real GDP. It is hardly bad. The way this is calculated could mean we go up next year. It shows we are still consistently at or near top with no wild swings like you see in those high growth states. I would certainly rather have a more consistent stable economy than one that goes up and down with the swings in the economy. I would say that is enviable and why states like Florida and New Hampshire take aim at us. Jay

Old 08-07-2019, 09:52 AM

898 posts, read 598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
Did you read the article? They are talking about the middle class. They are middle class here in CT.

West Hartford ! Isn't that a highly suggested place to move to ?
West Hartford is totally upper middle class. If your household income isn't well past $150k, you can't afford to live there. My wife works in WH center. She and none of her coworkers actually LIVE in West Hartford.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
West Hartford is totally upper middle class. If your household income isn't well past $150k, you can't afford to live there. My wife works in WH center. She and none of her coworkers actually LIVE in West Hartford.
This is not true. There are currently 51 homes for sale in West Hartford under 250k, allowing someone with a 150k income, or much less, to easily reside there.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
https://talkpoverty.org/state-year-r...t-2018-report/

CT is in the top ten in 4 areas of poverty level
As I thought this website is questionable at best. A review of its history of bias and inflating or changing data is long. That means it is completely useless.

An unbiased ranking based on US Census data shows Connecticut has the fifth lowest poverty rate in the country. Jay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_poverty_rate

Old 08-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is not true. There are currently 51 homes for sale in West Hartford under 250k, allowing someone with a 150k income, or much less, to easily reside there.
You are right that West Hartford has a very wide range of housing options and socioeconomic residents. It is a pretty big town with over 63,000 people making it the 9th largest town in the state. A lot depends on how you view the community.

If you look at West Hartford’s commercial base, there is a lot of upscale retail (Westfarms, Blueback Square, Nordstrom, etc.) and restaurants in town so from that point of view I can understand why someone will say it is upper middle class.

There are also sections that have a lot of wealth. Some of greater Hartford’s leading businessmen/women live there. The largest private home, owned by the very wealthy Chase family, was built there. On the other hand though there are sections of town with pretty modest homes and apartments. I don’t think either of you are completely wrong. Jay

Old 08-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Here is an interesting article which asks if Connecticut has finally been able to break the cycle of budget deficits that has plagued it for more than a decade. It makes some good points which seem to suggest it may have. I am not so sure but am glad that it looks better. The fact that this question is even possible is a good sign. Still I am skeptical but hopeful. The fact that the Rainy Day Fund is so large now and projected to grow to $2.7 billion. That’s the highest it’s ever been. What do you think? Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2019/08/07/has-...dget-deficits/

Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post

You can live in a single family home walkable to West Hartford Center on $150k. By the housing standards I'm used to in metro Boston, housing is inexpensive even when you factor in property taxes. I see a 1,778 sf colonial with the usual detached garage on Brunswick Ave for $319,900. $10k in property taxes. With 20% down, that's about $1,800/month in mortgage/taxes/insurance. In metro Boston, that would be a $750k house in that kind of location and would have similar property taxes.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are right that West Hartford has a very wide range of housing options and socioeconomic residents. It is a pretty big town with over 63,000 people making it the 9th largest town in the state. A lot depends on how you view the community.

If you look at West Hartford’s commercial base, there is a lot of upscale retail (Westfarms, Blueback Square, Nordstrom, etc.) and restaurants in town so from that point of view I can understand why someone will say it is upper middle class.

There are also sections that have a lot of wealth. Some of greater Hartford’s leading businessmen/women live there. The largest private home, owned by the very wealthy Chase family, was built there. On the other hand though there are sections of town with pretty modest homes and apartments. I don’t think either of you are completely wrong. Jay
Yeah - I wouldn’t consider West Hartford a working class town but I also wouldn’t consider it an affluent town. It’s a well rounded community with everything from some poverty to solid middle class to upscale. Of course, people who don’t know the town well see downtown and BBSq and make assumptions that it’s uniformly uber wealthy. My in laws have many relatives in WH and Simsbury and the WH relatives are all solid middle class, some on fixed incomes, and their families go back decades in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut