Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 11:53 AM

107 posts, read 57,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
What age are you compared to the to the young couple in the article?

" desirable place to live" is your opinion. I don't agree.
I'm 34 and my wife is 31. More relevant is that I began my career in 2015 after finishing grad school, similarly my wife finished her masters in 2014, just before we married. So while a few years older than the couple in question our milestones occurred appear to have occurred within a similar timeframe.

As for your desirable comment, you are welcome to your opinion, but as you stated earlier West Hartford is oft-recommended on these forums and seems to consistently make "best places to live" lists. You might not agree with them, but I don't think you would objectively question its popularity. Having worked there for several years, my opinion is that it is a fine town but I wasn't interested in settling down there.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:54 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
So just by the numbers if we say a house averages 310,000 and income average 80,000 in WH, then the income to realestate ratio is 3.8 which is below the national average of around 4. So WH is actually more affordable (based on income ) then most of the country. It puts WH on par with Nashville Dallas and Tampa.
Now property taxes throw that out of whack a bit, but WH is a poor choice to pick on. Stamford at 4.5 would be a better choice if you want to pick on CT.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...-whack/561404/
https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/blog/pr...istoric-highs/

Old 08-05-2019, 11:56 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Real Estate Free Trade?

Well I could post another Wall Street Journal article addressing that, but since they are biased, i will leave it out of the conversation.
Yes, home prices are determined by what people are willing and able to pay for it. Kind of the basics of our economy. I doubt the WSJ can argue that but please post what you have as long as it can be read without a subscription cost. Jay

Old 08-05-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
And yet, it is one of the top three states of people making an exodus. The economic climate can't be very good based on that fact.
It’s not??? Connecticut was just named as No. 2 for prosperity in the country. We have the third highest Real GDP per capita in the country. Our unemployment rate is at the US average and is less than so called growing states like a North Carolina and Nevada. It is less than a half percentage point higher than other high growth states like Florida and Tennessee. We have the highest disposable income in the country. Connecticut rates at the top in health and education. All of these have been well documented here. Yeah, it sure sounds horrible. Jay

https://usprosperity.net/

Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 PM

996 posts, read 378,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, home prices are determined by what people are willing and able to pay for it. Kind of the basics of our economy. I doubt the WSJ can argue that but please post what you have as long as it can be read without a subscription cost. Jay
You need to subscribe. If I have more time I will cut and paste. But basically, the consensus is , and not just from them, that due to the involvement of the Federal Government in the market, it is not as " free " as one would suspect. And there are also other factors , for example regarding the appraisal process.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It’s not??? Connecticut was just named as No. 2 for prosperity in the country. We have the third highest Real GDP per capita in the country. Our unemployment rate is at the US average and is less than so called growing states like a North Carolina and Nevada. It is less than a half percentage point higher than other high growth states like Florida and Tennessee. We have the highest disposable income in the country. Connecticut rates at the top in health and education. All of these have been well documented here. Yeah, it sure sounds horrible. Jay

https://usprosperity.net/
I didn't say horrible. I said not very good . Then why the exodus? From your own link.

Between 2010 and 2018, Connecticut’s headcount dipped by a fraction of a percent, while remaining at approximately 3.57 million, according to U.S. Census Bureau data. Illinois and West Virginia were the only other states whose populations shrank in that time frame.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:28 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
Did you read the article? They are talking about the middle class. They are middle class here in CT.

West Hartford ! Isn't that a highly suggested place to move to ?
This couple lacks critical thinking and decision making skills. It has nothing to do with CT's economy and everything to do with the fact that they did too many things at once and overcommitted themselves. No one forced them to borrow $270k to buy in a high tax relatively costly town for the area while paying for student loans and daycare.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You need to subscribe. If I have more time I will cut and paste. But basically, the consensus is , and not just from them, that due to the involvement of the Federal Government in the market, it is not as " free " as one would suspect. And there are also other factors , for example regarding the appraisal process.
What? Are you claiming the government controls the prices people pay for homes? I don’t think so. The government may have policies that encourage home ownership but that is very different than controlling prices. Jay

Old 08-05-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
So just by the numbers if we say a house averages 310,000 and income average 80,000 in WH, then the income to realestate ratio is 3.8 which is below the national average of around 4. So WH is actually more affordable (based on income ) then most of the country. It puts WH on par with Nashville Dallas and Tampa.
Now property taxes throw that out of whack a bit, but WH is a poor choice to pick on. Stamford at 4.5 would be a better choice if you want to pick on CT.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...-whack/561404/
https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/blog/pr...istoric-highs/
I didn't pick West Hartford, the Wall Street Journal did.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Fiction View Post
I'm 34 and my wife is 31. More relevant is that I began my career in 2015 after finishing grad school, similarly my wife finished her masters in 2014, just before we married. So while a few years older than the couple in question our milestones occurred appear to have occurred within a similar timeframe.

As for your desirable comment, you are welcome to your opinion, but as you stated earlier West Hartford is oft-recommended on these forums and seems to consistently make "best places to live" lists. You might not agree with them, but I don't think you would objectively question its popularity. Having worked there for several years, my opinion is that it is a fine town but I wasn't interested in settling down there.
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut