Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 05:57 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It doesn’t? Remember those people pay taxes. Usually they pay higher amounts of taxes than others. There are people here who cry that our state is losing its wealth yet this increase in the percentage of millionaires kind of suggests otherwise. That’s significant. Jay
Sure they pay taxes. For one, on the property they bought, which was probably already on the tax rolls. Maybe they upgrade it and increase their taxes a bit, but the next owner will pay those same taxes, millionaire or not.

As for state taxes, do you have any data as to how many more millionaires we have (in number, not percentage) and therefore how much more money we're talking about? If we gained two millionaires simply because they popped over the threshold from 900K to 1.1 million, how much of that 400K increase is the state getting in tax? It's a small amount in the grand scheme of things.

And when you think about it, the stock market has been doing well the past couple of years so it's not a reach to think that some have gone over the threshold simply due to dividend payouts. And even if you're earning that much, a 50K bonus on a 950K salary would push you over the edge. (I knew someone who 10+ years ago, was getting 16-20K yearly on dividends, wait, that's two people. The second person got considerably more. I don't know the balance of the trusts they pulled from but I do know their proceeds)

Old 01-21-2020, 06:24 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
You do realize that this is an opinion piece that contains a major error in what it says. General Electric NEVER said the reason it moved its headquarters to Boston had anything to do with taxes. They never even threatened to move because of them. The writer of this seems to be very biased and offers little to nothing to back up their claims. Jay
I was pleased to learn GE kept its HQ in the US, whats left of it.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:54 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Only about 200 of the 900 jobs at GE’s headquarters left the state. About 100 jobs were eliminated but the vast majority, about 600 jobs, were moved to Norwalk. Not the best situation but not horrible as the writer of the opinion piece would like to claim. Jay

Old 01-21-2020, 12:57 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
It depends how you classify “giving.” It’s very well known that the northeast region ranks lowest in charitable giving compared to the rest of the country. If you add in volunteering time as “giving” then Connecticut does fairly well compared to a lot of states.

Quote:
Finally why do you think the wealthy here do not give as much locally as other states. Please provide proof to this claim as well. I strongly disagree that our state is any different. Jay

Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Ditto.

Corp hqs play extremely influential roles in the allocation of resources for large corporations.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:16 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Ditto.

Corp hqs play extremely influential roles in the allocation of resources for large corporations.
Fantastic, and as long as those roles and allocated resources remain anywhere in the USA, I'm good.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:33 AM

512 posts, read 351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
It depends how you classify “giving.” It’s very well known that the northeast region ranks lowest in charitable giving compared to the rest of the country. If you add in volunteering time as “giving” then Connecticut does fairly well compared to a lot of states.
From everything I know about charitable giving (and I know a fair amount), that is a patently false statement. Utah always ranks up near the top since most of their "charitable giving" goes right back into the Mormon church. Generally Arizona and New Mexico are at the bottom of the list.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:20 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
Patently false huh?

Let's assume that the Chronicle of Philanthropy knows more about charitable giving than you shall we? According to their report "How America Gives" the Northeast does in fact rank dead last for giving by regions.

Another well accepted study- in fund raising circles and those who know about charitable giving- is the Panel Study of Income Dynamics. According to them New England ranks dead last by region and the mid-Atlantic is next to last. The Mountain West- which includes Arizona and NM give, according to PSID twice as much as NE and the mid-Atlantic. It's fair to note the table from "How America Gives" is from, their 2015 study but, if I remember correctly, it was almost exactly the same percentage wise in the 2017 update. You may not know as much about charitable giving as you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
From everything I know about charitable giving (and I know a fair amount), that is a patently false statement. Utah always ranks up near the top since most of their "charitable giving" goes right back into the Mormon church. Generally Arizona and New Mexico are at the bottom of the list.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:24 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Sad to see Bar Louie close 2 Ct spots so quickly. Chain is in trouble financially.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:08 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The state saw a significant increase in new residential construction in 2019. Permits are up 16.9% from 2018 with Stamford and New Haven leading. This shows the strength of our economy since developers don’t invest in new construction unless there is a market for the new units. Jay

https://www.nhregister.com/business/...w-15009676.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut