Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 06:29 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

It's too bad that is the perception Connecticut has, at least in this article. Finding and retaining talent isn't Subway's issue, it's legacy issues. Also, Clearwater attracting more talent? Ugh.

I will say, as much as I appreciate their property tax contributions, they may have more luck getting young talent if they were based in Stamford or New Haven in an urban area.
Milford is a lovely sleepy little town, and Subway is exactly the type of sub shop you would expect from a company based there. If Subway wants to be on the latest trends they need to have their exec team somewhere like Southern California. Yes, they can lure people from Southern California to SW CT, but after a few years they will lose their nose fro emerging trends.

What about the rest of the people at the HQ? It's a legacy operation full of bureaucracy and expensive employees. Eventually they will move those jobs to a sunbelt city with lower wages and start over.

These are realities that the state leadership needs to start working on. It's expensive to be in CT, Innovation hubs like New Haven are isolated, it's difficult to fly into CT from other cities, etc.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:43 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Milford is a lovely sleepy little town, and Subway is exactly the type of sub shop you would expect from a company based there. If Subway wants to be on the latest trends they need to have their exec team somewhere like Southern California. Yes, they can lure people from Southern California to SW CT, but after a few years they will lose their nose fro emerging trends.

What about the rest of the people at the HQ? It's a legacy operation full of bureaucracy and expensive employees. Eventually they will move those jobs to a sunbelt city with lower wages and start over.

These are realities that the state leadership needs to start working on. It's expensive to be in CT, Innovation hubs like New Haven are isolated, it's difficult to fly into CT from other cities, etc.
Sleepy? do you mean Milford, PA?

Subway ia an old dog that needs new tricks. Bad products. When corps produce bad products, they lose business, then people lose jobs. Luckily these folsk live in the world's greatest nation. They will find better corps and opportunities.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:53 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

Subway ia an old dog that needs new tricks. Bad products. When corps produce bad products, they lose business, then people lose jobs. Luckily these folsk live in the world's greatest nation. They will find better corps and opportunities.
Agreed! I expect to find a nice mom & pop in a sleepy town.

Subway does not have the best food. It's just a chain. Nothing special. Products are dictated by corporate and you dare not deviate or you pay dearly. Ever notice how much shredded (pale) lettuce you get? Just filler to make your sub look bigger.

I only use them if I can't find anything else around. One thing I can say is they are consistent from state to state in my experience.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:03 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
https://www.restaurantbusinessonline...sey-fix-subway

Found this quote:

It's too bad that is the perception Connecticut has, at least in this article. Finding and retaining talent isn't Subway's issue, it's legacy issues. Also, Clearwater attracting more talent? Ugh.

I will say, as much as I appreciate their property tax contributions, they may have more luck getting young talent if they were based in Stamford or New Haven in an urban area.
I agree. They need to be in a young, hip area where they can attract hip talent. Greater New Haven isn’t cutting it. Stamford is too finance based. I think image conscious metros like LA or Miami would be decent places to look. It’s a different type of talent they need.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

Nah, I've only been to Milford, CT. It's a great town and has a lot to offer. It's just not a place I would look for emerging trends or innovation/transformation.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 AM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree. They need to be in a young, hip area where they can attract hip talent. Greater New Haven isn’t cutting it. Stamford is too finance based. I think image conscious metros like LA or Miami would be decent places to look. It’s a different type of talent they need.

Ironically I had a recruiter call me day before layoffs begging for a phone call for company in Milford. I knew it was Subway and told guy not interested. The problem is that their pay is $hit for IT talent expectations.They need a major technical overhaul. I talked with them two years ago and wanted senior project lead in tech for $55/hr, no benefits. This time, guy was telling me salary was open..sure This is the same story over and over again in CT, companies want to pay lower and lower for higher tech skills. I am not sure where they are getting data to make such offers but I would never trust a company in such dire straits. Also, their food quality is crap for price. Also their demo area (lower income and students) are not doing so well in "greatest economy of all time". The inflation numbers have been wrong for years. No employee benefits if employer pays more for their health care. It is considered wage growth though.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:19 AM

537 posts, read 330,690 times
Subway's food is so lackluster. I remember when Quiznos made a big PR push with their toasted subs and that was the hit. Then Subway also did the toasting subs option and exploded and you never hear of Quiznos again. I'm surprised the one on RT1 in Orange is still there. But I haven't stepped into a subway in a very long time-- for quick to go subs I always go to Dibella's, their bread is outstanding and the subs are monstrous.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:43 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
I haven't been in a Subway in years. Historically I used them as a healthier alternative to BK/McDs while traveling. PP is totally on point, their target demographic is struggling and also has many more options vying for their money.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:44 PM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Some online who sound like employees are saying Subway axed 180 more in recent rounds of cuts, and today was actually about 360.

There are no Subway WARN notices. That is required if 50+ affected and forseeable. I suspect WARN notices will be filed quickly.

https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/progsu...s/warn2020.htm
Something has been wrong on WARN for well over a year. There are tons of layoffs not making it to site and many well after the impact date. Not sure if deliberate but state is not maintaining it so nearly useless data point now.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:46 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Nah, I've only been to Milford, CT. It's a great town and has a lot to offer. It's just not a place I would look for emerging trends or innovation/transformation.
It was a rhetorical question. I would agree its not a bastion of innovative trends but certainly not sleepy either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut