Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 10:04 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Whaa? CBIA is not a conservative site. They promote fiscal responsibility and fight for the little guy. I actually know a woman, a Democratic small business owner in the Hartford area, that volunteered her time and contributed to them regularly. Perhaps they aren’t objective when it comes to business unfriendly politics, but who would be?
https://www.amybergquist.com/blog/20...rong-activity/

Hartford county sales are up and so are prices. In the continuation of the long trend more affordable urban houses are selling well high end and rural not so much.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
https://www.amybergquist.com/blog/20...rong-activity/

Hartford county sales are up and so are prices. In the continuation of the long trend more affordable urban houses are selling well high end and rural not so much.
Now post a 20 year chart to compare.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
One thing I find incredibly concerning is when I see people question job growth and equate it with “problems”. I just cannot, for the life of me, understand this mindset. Would you prefer companies continue to leave CT? Because the problems that brings will be much, much worse than growing pains.

I keep seeing the tossing around of high income, full employment, etc - but the ignoring of what is statistically the loss of income and more jobs leaving than coming in. The fact that the average income of those leaving is $122k, or 26% higher than those moving in, doesn’t concern you? Or the fact that the state, as of 2017, lost 2% of its annual adjusted gross income doesn’t concern you? You’re correct that there is a lot of bad being focused on in these articles, but it is all factual data. It should concern every taxpayer in CT.

I’m thinking the next census will reveal startling results.
The loss of income is concerning. And so is population loss. But it may be possible this helps rebuild a younger middle class workforce that buys into the cheaper cities in the state helping them revitalize. At some point the market prices in FFC drop low enough that it becomes very attractive to commuters again for instance. The prices of realestate in 2ndary ct cities seems to be going up thanks to this trend. Which is good news to the middle class left here.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Now post a 20 year chart to compare.
Strong 2018 Hartford County Single-Family Sales – Greater Hartford Real Estate

Here ya go looks like were trending well for the last 13 years still a little below the bubble. Sale prices creeping up in the middle falling at the high end.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:07 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
One thing I find incredibly concerning is when I see people question job growth and equate it with “problems”. I just cannot, for the life of me, understand this mindset. Would you prefer companies continue to leave CT? Because the problems that brings will be much, much worse than growing pains.

I keep seeing the tossing around of high income, full employment, etc - but the ignoring of what is statistically the loss of income and more jobs leaving than coming in. The fact that the average income of those leaving is $122k, or 26% higher than those moving in, doesn’t concern you? Or the fact that the state, as of 2017, lost 2% of its annual adjusted gross income doesn’t concern you? You’re correct that there is a lot of bad being focused on in these articles, but it is all factual data. It should concern every taxpayer in CT.

I’m thinking the next census will reveal startling results.
What is concerning? If our economy was truly bad with double digit unemployment, then there would be a reason to be concerned. But we are at virtually full employment which is very good. The question to you is “Is anything good enough?”

In our current economy, significant job growth would need to mean a significant population increase. As one of the most densely populated states in the country do we really want or need more people here? A population increase would need more housing. More housing means more sprawl like you see in those high growth states. Do we need more sprawl? I don’t think so.

The loss of income is nothing new. It’s been going on for decades. Older people that have higher incomes retire and younger, lower income people come in. You forget that the number of people making $100,000 or more is up in Connecticut. If there was a true reason to be concerned, this would not be the case. Again it’s nothing new and because of that, the doom and gloom economists would be all over it. Jay

Old 07-02-2019, 06:04 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Despite all the doom and gloom some here like to think our economy faces, there are companies that are staying and expanding here. This company actually closed their Mexico facility and moved the work here. They just bought a 100,000 square foot facility in East Hartford and are renovating it. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...to-leave-state
As others have said, they closed Mexico awhile back. They have a facility in MA as well.

They are consolidating 3 East Hartford locations into one. And has said that manufacturing in New England, especially CT is very difficult.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:15 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
In our current economy, significant job growth would need to mean a significant population increase. As one of the most densely populated states in the country do we really want or need more people here?
The loss of income is nothing new. It’s been going on for decades. Older people that have higher incomes retire and younger, lower income people come in. You forget that the number of people making $100,000 or more is up in Connecticut. If there was a true reason to be concerned, this would not be the case. Again it’s nothing new and because of that, the doom and gloom economists would be all over it. Jay

I am glad you are on here to remind me to look up this information EVERY YEAR after all the doom and gloom I always see on here about our state. By some of the media articles and TV you would think CT is one of the worst states in the US by economy.

But as I always say PER CAPITA tells the story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita

2018 GDP Per Capita
1 Massachusetts.......65,545
2 New York..............64,579
3 Connecticut...........64,511
4 Alaska..................63,971
5 Delaware..............63,664

Once again we are in the top five.

And I just have to put on the bottom 12 because the TWO STATES OF SC AND TN are always talked about on this site as models of the best economies and growing by leap and bounds. They don't even come close to us. Of course our economy can't grow in PERCENTAGE as much as states at the bottom of the heap.

38 Tennessee...........43,267
39 New Mexico........41,348
40 Florida...............39,543
41 Montana.............39,356
42 Kentucky............38,985
43 Maine.................38,921
44 Arizona...............38,590
45 Alabama.............37,261
46 South Carolina.....37,063
47 Arkansas.............36,368
48 West Virginia.......36,315
49 Idaho.................35,466
50 Mississippi...........31,881

And here is the take away if my memory serves me correctly after looking up this information year after year. It for the most part the Democratic states that are in the top 10.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:35 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:

In our current economy, significant job growth would need to mean a significant population increase.
It would not. We have just a 66.2% Labor Force Participation Rate amongst adults, with just 16% of pop senior citizens. That leaves 18% not in the workforce, many no doubt, discouraged who may reenter if we had job growth.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LBSNSA09

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2017/rpt/pdf/2017-R-0257.pdf

Old 07-02-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
What? CBIA is not a conservative site. They promote fiscal responsibility and fight for the little guy.
Fiscal responsibility? Connecticut does not know what that means.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Also what they fail to note is that our unemployment rate is 3.8% which is virtually full employment.
Dozens of states are below 3.8% Jay with higher Labor Force Participation rates, plus solid state GDP growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut