Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 07:50 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
https://www.registercitizen.com/real...MHsqL41rB0GOis

Home sales down in Ct vs same month, prior year.
Inventory is also down, and prices are up.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 AM

385 posts, read 363,458 times
CT cities among the worst-run in the nation.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/connecticu...123c3c5b9.html

Old 07-02-2019, 08:13 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
CBIA is hardly objective. Notice that this article focuses on and emphasizes negatives. Buried in it however is the fact that Connecticut has the highest per capita income in the country. The places with the greatest income growth are those places with the lowest wages and that are known for boom and bust economies. It also does not mention that our wage growth is similar to our neighbor New York, which our economy is closely tied to. It also fails to mention that Connecticut has regained all of the private sector jobs lost during the recession and that it is public sector jobs, the sector that is primarily funded by our taxes, that lags. Isn’t that a good thing? Hummm ... I wonder why? Jay

https://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/laborsit.asp
Whaa? CBIA is not a conservative site. They promote fiscal responsibility and fight for the little guy. I actually know a woman, a Democratic small business owner in the Hartford area, that volunteered her time and contributed to them regularly. Perhaps they aren’t objective when it comes to business unfriendly politics, but who would be?

Old 07-02-2019, 08:31 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
They are a business publication. They are pro-business. They are neither Democrat nor Republican.

They do not cook the books or change the numbers. They are a very reliable source.

A I have said on many occasions, Connecticut enjoys many economic advantages that are a tribute to its past as the one time richest state in the union. Hartford was the richest city in the USA in 1900. All the trend lines are in the wrong direction. That lag almost every state in job growth. Failing to see the problem does not mean the problem does not exist.
Their facts may be there but their commentary is clearly biased. Just look at the article posted. Bad news after bad news emphasized but the good things I mentioned are buried. Also what they fail to note is that our unemployment rate is 3.8% which is virtually full employment. Why is that not even mentioned? Just noting that everyone has an agenda and people need to look at who is saying what and why. Jay

Old 07-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Their facts may be there but their commentary is clearly biased. Just look at the article posted. Bad news after bad news emphasized but the good things I mentioned are buried. Also what they fail to note is that our unemployment rate is 3.8% which is virtually full employment. Why is that not even mentioned? Just noting that everyone has an agenda and people need to look at who is saying what and why. Jay
I very much agree with your last comment, although disagree with your criticism of CBIA. They will equally call out both democrats and republicans and are dedicated to the middle class in CT, and small business owners.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Whaa? CBIA is not a conservative site. They promote fiscal responsibility and fight for the little guy. I actually know a woman, a Democratic small business owner in the Hartford area, that volunteered her time and contributed to them regularly. Perhaps they aren’t objective when it comes to business unfriendly politics, but who would be?
Never said they were conservative but they do have a bias in their publications. They emphasize the negative points in our economy but ignore the positive which are many. We have regained all the private sector jobs lost. We are at virtually full employment. We have major employers making a significant investment and expanding here. Why is that not enough? Do we really need massive job growth and the problems that brings? Do we really want to be like those high growth states where much of that growth comes with more and more sprawl. As one of the most densely populated states, do we really want our population to grow? I am not saying our state is perfect but it’s not nearly as bad as it is too often portrayed. Jay

Old 07-02-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Never said they were conservative but they do have a bias in their publications. They emphasize the negative points in our economy but ignore the positive which are many. We have regained all the private sector jobs lost. We are at virtually full employment. We have major employers making a significant investment and expanding here. Why is that not enough? Do we really need massive job growth and the problems that brings? Do we really want to be like those high growth states where much of that growth comes with more and more sprawl. As one of the most densely populated states, do we really want our population to grow? I am not saying our state is perfect but it’s not nearly as bad as it is too often portrayed. Jay
Quote:
One thing I find incredibly concerning is when I see people question job growth and equate it with “problems”. I just cannot, for the life of me, understand this mindset. Would you prefer companies continue to leave CT? Because the problems that brings will be much, much worse than growing pains.

I keep seeing the tossing around of high income, full employment, etc - but the ignoring of what is statistically the loss of income and more jobs leaving than coming in. The fact that the average income of those leaving is $122k, or 26% higher than those moving in, doesn’t concern you? Or the fact that the state, as of 2017, lost 2% of its annual adjusted gross income doesn’t concern you? You’re correct that there is a lot of bad being focused on in these articles, but it is all factual data. It should concern every taxpayer in CT.

I’m thinking the next census will reveal startling results.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 AM

50 posts, read 30,592 times
Quote:
One thing I find incredibly concerning is when I see people question job growth and equate it with “problems”. I just cannot, for the life of me, understand this mindset. Would you prefer companies continue to leave CT? Because the problems that brings will be much, much worse than growing pains.

I keep seeing the tossing around of high income, full employment, etc - but the ignoring of what is statistically the loss of income and more jobs leaving than coming in. The fact that the average income of those leaving is $122k, or 26% higher than those moving in, doesn’t concern you? Or the fact that the state, as of 2017, lost 2% of its annual adjusted gross income doesn’t concern you? You’re correct that there is a lot of bad being focused on in these articles, but it is all factual data. It should concern every taxpayer in CT.

Well said.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Or the fact that the state, as of 2017, lost 2% of its annual adjusted gross income doesn’t concern you? You’re correct that there is a lot of bad being focused on in these articles, but it is all factual data. It should concern every taxpayer in CT.

I think you're forgetting that the states with the big state & local taxes all saw income pushed into the previous tax year to take advantage of itemized deductions that vaporized. That wasn't just Connecticut.

I doubt I'll be startled by anything from the 2020 census. We all get to see the yearly updates. It's not likely to diverge much from those numbers.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think you're forgetting that the states with the big state & local taxes all saw income pushed into the previous tax year to take advantage of itemized deductions that vaporized. That wasn't just Connecticut.

I doubt I'll be startled by anything from the 2020 census. We all get to see the yearly updates. It's not likely to diverge much from those numbers.
It may not have just been CT, but when compared with all other states, CT’s income growth is about the third lowest nationally. It is the lowest in the northeast.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/...income-growth/

And re: 2020 census - we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it, but there are people out there who refuse to believe those yearly numbers. They will, for sure, be startled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut