Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Apparently Amazon is rethinking its HQ2 in Queens after facing opposition to it moving there and Governor Lamont has jumped on the opportunity. Stamford might be a good option. Jay

Lamont: CT contacted Amazon about possible HQ2 relocation | HartfordBusiness.com
I think this is a perfect time for Amazon to only build one HQ. It is an easy out because of the current market conditions. Forward looking they have a not very roast picture. They are also trying to build the AWS platform which will eat into profits. I bet after looking at all of this he is going to just stick to one HQ2 and not split them.

Based on what they want to do in the future CT has no shot. It is not tech focused enough to get the engineers from top universities to work in Stamford.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:59 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
I suspect likeliest outcome is Va gets 25k jobs, NYC gets smaller model, perhaps 10k, and Nashville which got 5k, perhaps gets a few k from NYC plus the 5k Logistics hq it won.

It has been smooth sailing for Amazon in Va plus Nashville.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:38 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I think this is a perfect time for Amazon to only build one HQ. It is an easy out because of the current market conditions. Forward looking they have a not very roast picture. They are also trying to build the AWS platform which will eat into profits. I bet after looking at all of this he is going to just stick to one HQ2 and not split them.

Based on what they want to do in the future CT has no shot. It is not tech focused enough to get the engineers from top universities to work in Stamford.
Not possible anywhere in the USA really as no one place has nearly enough of the qualified tech employees, and or those for potential of being hired. Then there is the fact not every "tech" person wants to live in a certain part of USA. Not everyone is going to want to move from say Seattle to New York City, or San Francisco to Austin, etc....

That leaves any tech company with a huge labor issue. It could be solved by importing tons of tech talent via HB1 visas and other means, but good luck getting that through even a GOP controlled Congress much less with one now shared with democrats.

Finally you have to consider the socio-economic effects on any local area that comes with a huge presence of highly skilled/educated and well compensated employees. We've already seen what has happened in SF, Seattle and a few other tech areas; and this is with only a part of HQ workforce located in those areas.

Main issue however as Jeff Bezos has continually mentioned in this whole HQ2 farce is the ability to find and retain tech talent at whatever area is chosen. The decision to split "HQ2" between two locations was borne out of the perceived inability to source enough talent to a single location.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

NYC Council grills Amazon over HQ2: ‘You’re worth $1 trillion. Why do you need our $3 billion?

This is a very good point.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:23 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

NYC Council grills Amazon over HQ2: ‘You’re worth $1 trillion. Why do you need our $3 billion?

Amazon to NYC "How do you think we got the 1 trillion?.....By playing nice in the sandbox?.....And didn't you want us here?"

Old 02-09-2019, 06:55 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Apparently Amazon is rethinking its HQ2 in Queens after facing opposition to it moving there and Governor Lamont has jumped on the opportunity. Stamford might be a good option. Jay

Lamont: CT contacted Amazon about possible HQ2 relocation | HartfordBusiness.com
Not going to happen. Stamford is too far from a major airport, which is one of their big requirements.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not going to happen. Stamford is too far from a major airport, which is one of their big requirements.

Plus it could not even make the cut of the Elite 20.

Amazon hq is out of our league.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:23 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I have a great idea.

Tell Amazon if they move their headquarters to Fairfield County we will bulldoze enough of Bridgeport so they can tailor their own airport. We can kill two birds with one stone. Get rid of the bad parts of Bridgeport and get Amazon HQ in one fell swoop. And I am not joking about this.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I have a great idea.

Tell Amazon if they move their headquarters to Fairfield County we will bulldoze enough of Bridgeport so they can tailor their own airport. We can kill two birds with one stone. Get rid of the bad parts of Bridgeport and get Amazon HQ in one fell swoop. And I am not joking about this.
So we'd leave 5% of Bridgeport. Check.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:17 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,561 times
Why are the CT politicians in Washington signing up to eliminate the health insurance industry? Makes no sense, by my calculations it would erase close to 8% of the CT economy. Almost certainly throw CT into a depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut