Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 07:10 AM

377 posts, read 241,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
Never say never. I'm a hardcore Democrat. I believe in a lot of the things she says. I will never vote for her because it will destroy Connecticut.
I'm saying never. She is like some of the new breed of Democrats. More to the left, offering solutions to problems that don's exist, and generally speaking, lacking a grasp of all the circumstances. Overwhelmingly , people that have Employer supplied Health care Plans are happy with their coverage. Close to 90 % in some surveys. Around 75 % of most Americans are content with their Health Care under the present system.

Has anyone noticed the difference in the economics since 2016 compared to the 8 years of Obama ? CT appears to be getting better, the Hartford area in particular . This is despite the damage done by Democrats in this state. Why would anyone vote to go back to the " new normal " that was attempted to be sold to Americans ? That low economic growth and higher unemployment rates were what we were going to see and have. That printing money , nearly giving money away to financial institutions , and pounding businesses with regulations were the answers ? Honestly, do you really believe that if HRC had won , Connecticut's economy would be where it stands right now ?

Last edited by SAE72; 01-31-2019 at 07:23 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...rdq-story.html

I have to chuckle when Stew Leonard complains about taxes (I know, I know, it was his dad who was convicted of tax evasion, but still.)

I know people don't like it, but this is the future of taxation in this state - an expansion and increase in sales and use taxes and property taxes. Why? Because it's easier and more effective to tax things and transactions that occur within the state. From the article above, a 2% tax on groceries would bring in $2.7 billion annually. That basically solves the budget deficit (and more) with the stroke of a pen. It also broadens and stabilizes the tax base and makes tax revenues less reliant on the income tax, which is sensitive to market gyrations and people picking up stakes and moving elsewhere. In other words, "fairness" is going to be distant second to maximizing revenue (as we all know that cutting spending is not happening with the Dems controlling both branches).

Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
I'm saying never. She is like some of the new breed of Democrats. More to the left, offering solutions to problems that don's exist, and generally speaking, lacking a grasp of all the circumstances. Overwhelmingly , people that have Employer supplied Health care Plans are happy with their coverage. Close to 90 % in some surveys. Around 75 % of most Americans are content with their Health Care under the present system.

Has anyone noticed the difference in the economics since 2016 compared to the 8 years of Obama ? CT appears to be getting better, the Hartford area in particular . This is despite the damage done by Democrats in this state. Why would anyone vote to go back to the " new normal " that was attempted to be sold to Americans ? That low economic growth and higher unemployment rates were what we were going to see and have. That printing money , nearly giving money away to financial institutions , and pounding businesses with regulations were the answers ? Honestly, do you really believe that if HRC had won , Connecticut's economy would be where it stands right now ?
Wait, this is getting off topic to this forum BUT you cannot compare the economy under Obama to this economy. When Obama came in the economy was on the verge of a massive collapse. Major financial institutions were ready to fold and the car companies were about to go under. Under Obama, those problems turned around and when he left office the economy was doing great. PERIOD.

Obama handed Trump a very good economy with low unemployment and a growing stock market. The best anyone can say is that Trump only added to an already good economy. Jay

Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wait, this is getting off topic to this forum BUT you cannot compare the economy under Obama to this economy. When Obama came in the economy was on the verge of a massive collapse. Major financial institutions were ready to fold and the car companies were about to go under. Under Obama, those problems turned around and when he left office the economy was doing great. PERIOD.

Obama handed Trump a very good economy with low unemployment and a growing stock market. The best anyone can say is that Trump only added to an already good economy. Jay

I can compare the two economies specific to the polices and actions taken, regardless of the circumstances.
Every incoming Administration faces the baggage left over from the previous and past Administrations. What I was alluding to are the methods that were used, and policies set forth. In almost each and every case , solid arguments could be made against what was done. It is off topic, and I won't go into detail, but I am far from alone with this opinion. One obvious example was the Stock market being boosted by QE, not once but several times. That's just printing money. Now that the economy is going where it never went under Obama for eight years, it is understandable that the Obama era regarding economics would get a chorus of support to help salvage his legacy.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:05 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
It is not going to happen. She is not going to be elected.
I would say conventional logic no longer applies after the 2016 election. If you can form a cult of personality the issues don't matter much. I doubt Harris is the right person to do that but somewhere there is someone that can.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I would say conventional logic no longer applies after the 2016 election. If you can form a cult of personality the issues don't matter much. I doubt Harris is the right person to do that but somewhere there is someone that can.
Conventional logic does apply. The logic that many people are sick and tired of being kicked around by both parties. Trump was an Independent that brilliantly used the Republican Party to get elected. Anyway, she has too much baggage, and she may be a Rock Star where she is, but her ideas are way out there.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:24 AM

184 posts, read 106,488 times
Quote:
Conventional logic does apply. The logic that many people are sick and tired of being kicked around by both parties. Trump was an Independent that brilliantly used the Republican Party to get elected. Anyway, she has too much baggage, and she may be a Rock Star where she is, but her ideas are way out there.
Be interesting if he can get elected a 2nd time without the help of outside agencies. Going to be rougher this time without the baggage Hillary had and without stolen emails.

Harris is an interesting character, but in the end, the only reason to speculate who it is going to be at this point is to drive the news cycle.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:30 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree the logic is just different but it's not the typical political logic that got him elected. He essentially ignored most of the middle ground voters and got the base to come out really well and only middle voters that had an issue with trade and immigration. Bernie was the same on the left. Harris Can't pull that out but someone like Ojeda or maybe Gillium could. I think that's the real answer you can have extreme left or right views and still get elected you just need to keep your base excited and just siphon some of the disgruntled middle. On the left the disgruntled middle will likely follow on health care and education.

I think CT would in general do better under a left leaning federal gov, healthcare fixes may extend to retirees on health plans for the state in which case it would fix huge portions of the state budget.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
Be interesting if he can get elected a 2nd time without the help of outside agencies. Going to be rougher this time without the baggage Hillary had and without stolen emails.

Harris is an interesting character, but in the end, the only reason to speculate who it is going to be at this point is to drive the news cycle.
That's correct, it is too early. The actual platforms are still forming, testing the waters. Democrats have a tremendous challenge ahead, filled with potential risks. How far they continue to embrace Leftist ideology may break them. Kamala and 15 other Dems have embraced Bernie's Medicare for All concept, but it is short on details, and most important, no definitive strategy to pay for it. If they eliminate Private Insurance, that means a ton of Americans could be out of work, which could be a disaster for CT.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM

184 posts, read 106,488 times
Quote:
That's correct, it is too early. The actual platforms are still forming, testing the waters. Democrats have a tremendous challenge ahead, filled with potential risks. How far they continue to embrace Leftist ideology may break them. Kamala and 15 other Dems have embraced Bernie's Medicare for All concept, but it is short on details, and most important, no definitive strategy to pay for it. If they eliminate Private Insurance, that means a ton of Americans could be out of work, which could be a disaster for CT.
I like how you avoid my first sentence. That is the one part everyone is leaving out when discussing 2020, because there is no real way to judge how it effected 2016 - though it most certainly did.

As for the insurance part, I more then get that. I moved my family to this state because of my wife's work in the health insurance industry.

While my own beliefs are that Medicare for all should be the way to go, getting rid of insurance companies, coders, etc, could possibly kill off my wifes job, and most certainly would kill off the jobs of people on her side of the family who have all gone into medical coding, and there are quite a few people on her side of the family.

Conflicted I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut