Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 05:41 PM

377 posts, read 240,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Why are the CT politicians in Washington signing up to eliminate the health insurance industry? Makes no sense, by my calculations it would erase close to 8% of the CT economy. Almost certainly throw CT into a depression.
They don’t care. They consider it collateral damage in order to push their ideology. They have the House back and it is time to give the keys to Nancy so she can raid it again. Additionally , they have their pedal to the metal for Sociial Justice. Economics? Not on the agenda except for trying to raise taxes on the “ rich “.

Maybe they will find time around their endless investigations for crimes they need to find to continue their narrative.

Similar to the Democrats here in the CT Legislature. Looking for ways to raise taxes, more control and Social Justice , and the only real budget cuts would be from proposed regionalization, however unpopular it is.
Blumenthal was busy yesterday, as there is another illegal immigrant that has been here for decades. He is some kind of scholar , but wasn’t smart enough to figure out that staying in the country illegallly for decades might get you in trouble.

Blumenthal was there for the photo op and a sound bite “...he has committed no crime” . A former Attorney General saying that being here illegally for decades isn’t a crime. That tells you all you need to know.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:07 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Cash-Strapped Hartford Missed Deadline for State Body Cam Funds

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...1.html%3famp=y

It’s incompetence like this that makes me wonder why people think giving the Democratic cities in CT more funding to lift them up is appropriate, while taking money from the communities that are financially successful. They are embarrassingly mismanaged and this “oversight” will cost the city boatloads of cash it doesn’t have.

Yet the joke of a mayor doesn’t address the issue, only saying “there’s no question body cameras are worth the cost”. You can’t make it up.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:32 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
There’s a Bloomberg article in my news feed about zip codes where more than half of mortgages are seriously underwater. Mortgage at least 25% more than property value. Two Hartford zip codes made the list at 53.1% and 53.5%. 06112 and 06114, the neighborhoods north of St Francis Hospital and south of Hartford Hospital & Trinity College. The list otherwise has the expected places. Trenton. Atlantic City. Memphis. Toledo. Cleveland. Dayton. Detroit. St Louis. Not a list I would want to be on.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
So we'd leave 5% of Bridgeport. Check.
Not even close. The North End/Brooklawn of Bridgeport (north of North Avenue and west of Main Street) makes up a good portion of the city. I would say it is a good quarter of the city in area. Add in Beardsley Park, Treeland, downtown, most of Chopsey Hill, some of Whiskey Hill and of course beautiful Black Rock, you easily have half the city in area. Jay

Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There’s a Bloomberg article in my news feed about zip codes where more than half of mortgages are seriously underwater. Mortgage at least 25% more than property value. Two Hartford zip codes made the list at 53.1% and 53.5%. 06112 and 06114, the neighborhoods north of St Francis Hospital and south of Hartford Hospital & Trinity College. The list otherwise has the expected places. Trenton. Atlantic City. Memphis. Toledo. Cleveland. Dayton. Detroit. St Louis. Not a list I would want to be on.

A lot of those properties are multi families full of renters. The landlords are not in it for quick capital gains and are in it for the cash / cash flow.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:02 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,298 times
I don’t understand what CT’s reps in Washington are trying to do. It’s like they’re trying to tank the CT economy. If the health insurance industry were to be eliminated, financials were to be heavily taxed and regulated, US manufacturing was to be less internationally competitive, and defense contractors stripped of their funding im not sure what industry would be left in CT. Are these people really serving CTs best interests?

Old 02-10-2019, 07:03 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I don’t understand what CT’s reps in Washington are trying to do. It’s like they’re trying to tank the CT economy. If the health insurance industry were to be eliminated, financials were to be heavily taxed and regulated, US manufacturing was to be less internationally competitive, and defense contractors stripped of their funding im not sure what industry would be left in CT. Are these people really serving CTs best interests?

No.

That was an easy question.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 AM

266 posts, read 245,356 times
https://ctmirror.org/2019/02/08/salt...m-gop-tax-law/

Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I have a Facebook friend who is really pissed about his taxes this year. He is retired and living on a pension. His modest home is paid off and he lives in a low tax state. He made less last year than the previous year but is paying $700 more than last year. So much for the middle class saving on their taxes too.

I am not looking forward to ours this year. I am preparing for the worst since we have a decent income, pay a lot in taxes and have older kids (since when are kids over 17 not dependent on their parents?). I can only imagine what it will be this year. Jay

Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 AM

487 posts, read 536,304 times
My effective tax rate for '18 was half a percentage point lower than '17. I consider myself middle class but guess that's debatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut