Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 05:29 PM

266 posts, read 245,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have a Facebook friend who is really pissed about his taxes this year. He is retired and living on a pension. His modest home is paid off and he lives in a low tax state. He made less last year than the previous year but is paying $700 more than last year. So much for the middle class saving on their taxes too.

I am not looking forward to ours this year. I am preparing for the worst since we have a decent income, pay a lot in taxes and have older kids (since when are kids over 17 not dependent on their parents?). I can only imagine what it will be this year. Jay
They are debating this over on the politics thread. As we moved and many variables changed for us, we will have nothing to compare to but I am not looking forward to the outcome either.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
https://www.ctpost.com/politics/arti...t-13613533.php

This will be a massive job killer (retail plus fast food).

Fortunately, those McD kiosks will be installed soon.

CBIA reactions below:

https://www.cbia.com/news/issues-pol...la-priorities/

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 02-13-2019 at 09:12 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 04:03 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,113 times
The paid Fmla is ridiculous!
I get it...sounds nice an all.
However all state employees are excluded!!!!!
Why because they cant afford it!
But yeah an employer with just 2 employees magically can...
Employees can get 100% of thier pay up to 1k a week up to 12 weeks. But only putting in a small fraction .5% of pay.

So what to believe here.....that once again they are math challenged......no i dont think so......because they are smart enough to exclude state employees!
Such a good plan for Mr..anonymous, but not for i.
This Fmla plan has abuse written all over it.
Plus the lazy poli's copy it from other states that are each a mess. NY, R.I, CALI.
Except this plan is uniquely the worst.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 AM

377 posts, read 241,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
The paid Fmla is ridiculous!
I get it...sounds nice an all.
However all state employees are excluded!!!!!
Why because they cant afford it!
But yeah an employer with just 2 employees magically can...
Employees can get 100% of thier pay up to 1k a week up to 12 weeks. But only putting in a small fraction .5% of pay.

So what to believe here.....that once again they are math challenged......no i dont think so......because they are smart enough to exclude state employees!
Such a good plan for Mr..anonymous, but not for i.
This Fmla plan has abuse written all over it.
Plus the lazy poli's copy it from other states that are each a mess. NY, R.I, CALI.
Except this plan is uniquely the worst.
This is more Social Justice in action. The Economic conditions in the state are in the back seat now that Democrats have more control. Add the $ 15 minimum wage proposal to this and the picture becomes clearer.
Their ideology is specifically geared to only a limited number to try and repair the damages that they perceive have been done to them. That's their brand of Social Justice. The hardworking tax payer in the past who raised their children without any of this, and those that started at minimum wage and climbed the social economic strata for their success has been dismissed. In the minds of Democrats, that is no longer fashionable.

Last edited by SAE72; 02-14-2019 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 05:34 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
I was reading an article on the reduction of state borrowing by 40%. It sounds good on the cover but what I was reading is that it will not be good for towns. That is real money not being borrowed by the state that when it was being borrowed was being used to hel towns with construction, fund some activities and fund departments. With this reduction the towns still need to “run” as normal but without that additional money it could cause some property tax increases t cover the missing funds.

It’s like the 6 degrees of taxation. Somehow, not directly, we will see fee or tax increases. Lamont is smart not to touch the rainy day fund because he knows the windfall from last year is a one time thing, no way is it sustanable.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:20 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
https://www.ctpost.com/politics/arti...t-13613533.php

This will be a massive job killer (retail plus fast food).

Fortunately, those McD kiosks will be installed soon.

CBIA reactions below:

https://www.cbia.com/news/issues-pol...la-priorities/
Companies like McDonalds are going to automated checkouts no matter what happens with minimum wage. The point of the increase is that the minimum wage is not sufficient to support workers financially and has not kept up with inflation. A person working 40 hours a week should not have to rely on public assistance to exist. It means that we taxpayers are supplementing private businesses. If those businesses can't afford to pay its workers a decent wage (especially when its CEO and other executives are making millions) then the company should not be in business. Its that simple. Jay

Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 AM

Jay, sure cause every business is Mcdonalds.
How about this. Unlike the govt that can print money, or borrow endlessly, we stop that. Ok, citizens of Ct. here is your bill due today with interest.....you each owe $76,000.
Oh you don't have it.....
Then move out. Period.

See how that works. You start a business against all odds.
Min wage was 7.25 just a few years ago. Now $10.10. We need that to survive. New election....i need something to run on. Hey $15 is easy. How fo you run a business this way.
Lets raise your property taxes like this, state too see what happens.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 AM

Also the public assistance will not change with $15. Thats the bs sold to you by dems.
Im in this group who hires in that business. Countless people dont really want to work. Sorry boss, i dont want to be manager, dont want more hours, dont want O/T!!!
Why cause the bennies are too good.
You have made a class of people dependant on the system

Old 02-14-2019, 07:42 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Jay, sure cause every business is Mcdonalds.
How about this. Unlike the govt that can print money, or borrow endlessly, we stop that. Ok, citizens of Ct. here is your bill due today with interest.....you each owe $76,000.
Oh you don't have it.....
Then move out. Period.

See how that works. You start a business against all odds.
Min wage was 7.25 just a few years ago. Now $10.10. We need that to survive. New election....i need something to run on. Hey $15 is easy. How fo you run a business this way.
Lets raise your property taxes like this, state too see what happens.
So you don't have a problem with your taxes going to support these companies and their outrageous executive payrolls? Talk about wasteful public spending. If companies were better at caring for the welfare of their employees, it would be a different story but as history has long shown they do not care about anything but their bottom line. I understand the need for profits BUT I also don't just blindly think that companies should be allowed to whatever they want for them. If it was just McDonalds, I would not have a problem with it but it is also companies like Walmart, Burger King, Subway and many many others. Jay

Old 02-14-2019, 07:54 AM

377 posts, read 241,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Companies like McDonalds are going to automated checkouts no matter what happens with minimum wage. The point of the increase is that the minimum wage is not sufficient to support workers financially and has not kept up with inflation. A person working 40 hours a week should not have to rely on public assistance to exist. It means that we taxpayers are supplementing private businesses. If those businesses can't afford to pay its workers a decent wage (especially when its CEO and other executives are making millions) then the company should not be in business. Its that simple. Jay
Minimum wage positions were never intended to support worker's financially beyond a certain point. That's why the description " minimum" . Minimum skills, minimum experience required, etc. Raising it by the demands of Government is counter productive in the long haul. Counter productive to other jobs that because of the higher prevailing wages, their jobs might be eliminated. Counter productive to the small business owner that may not have the margins to support it. Counter productive to the minimum wage worker that may not take the steps to advance themselves to the next strata.

Indeed one of the great attributes of America's economic environment is the fluidity of the economic strata , people moving in and out , up and down the brackets over their lifetimes. To consider a minimum wage position as a parking space for long term personal economic and financial stability is a slippery slope. Actually silly if you ask me.

Those CEO and Executives have created the opportunity for employment, and the tax base that cities and towns depend upon. If you are not happy with what that business pays their employees, don't do business with them. Nothing affects a business strategy and behavior more than falling revenue. Those that support concepts of " decent wages" , " living wages" etc, would be better served by looking for ways for minimum wage workers to stay in that strata for a limited amount of time as possible. By using a Band Aid approach, and ignoring the root cause of the problem, it doesn't solve the problem, it just masks it. Where are these " automatic raises " for the rest of the working class? Do they not struggle also ?

The way it used to be, the way it always was, people made a concentrated effort to better themselves. Adding skills, experience , getting educated, opening businesses, taking risks, all of those and more are part of the fabric that made this country great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut