Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 08:01 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Unsettling news regarding AETNA. Glad someone posted it.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:02 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
A better guess is that like GE (gone), UTC (moving HQs out), Aetna is going away probably later this year.

If it occurs, it would take a few years to execute that large a move, and, in all likelihood, they would leave some presence in Hartford.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:07 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't know why you continually try to attack me. I have a BS degree in accounting and 20 years experience. I do not note my qualifications publicly here since this board is mostly for funsies and blowing off steam. However, this is one of the very few instances on this board where I can say "as an expert in the field my opinion is"

Its not going to sway any ones opinion anyway especially yours I'm sure. You'll probably mutter something about Karl Marx and he's why we can't have nice things, etc.

Like I said originally,

There's no way in hell they are paying 35k in taxes on 85k income. Even if you include property taxes I don't think they would pay even half that amount.

When people complain like this they should show us the numbers otherwise I don't believe a single word of it.
What's there not to believe? That the man pays 40% in taxes? Of course he does. That's pretty much average for his income in CT, and just like you, there are thousands of other accountants in CT, many with more schooling and more experience than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
You keep saying this as if it will be true. It is extremely difficult and perhaps near impossible for states to go bankrupt. States are required to balance the budget which means measures like austerity cuts and tax hikes will happen before bankruptcy. That or the states may try to wiggle out of pension obligations.
Yes, CT cannot de-jure file for bankruptcy. However its options to re-structure its obligations are getting more limited as time goes-by and its bonds ratings are worsening.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Citi Group, Hartford office, is relocating 150 jobs out of downtown Hartford to Tampa Florida.

Someone has to stand up and do something. FFC is doing ok but the rest of the state is hurting.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:39 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Citi Group, Hartford office, is relocating 150 jobs out of downtown Hartford to Tampa Florida.

Someone has to stand up and do something. FFC is doing ok but the rest of the state is hurting.
dont forget Milford, Orange, West Haven, New Haven pretty much Metro North Line to New Haven

Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

I THINK Metlife is as well. I say "think" because someone I know got offered a relo to Tampa a few months ago (maybe just before holidays-ish). I'm certain she does not work for citigroup, and almost certain she works for metlife. The way it was described was that, "she had the option to move with department/operation, or could stay doing similar work and transfer for new dept."

Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Another move that for some reason did not get a lot of publicity. Ground was broken on May 17 for a new building in Florida that will serve as global HQ for their Climate/Controls/Security business which includes Carrier. Well, guess where that HQ is today? 1 Carrier Place in Farmington! Not sure how many jobs will move, but based on my past knowledge working for one of their subsidiaries, my guess would be 100+.

UTC Breaks Ground On Building Climate Business Headquarters In Florida - Hartford Courant

Old 05-21-2016, 10:25 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Who says that you have a say on what two private parties decide? Where does CT get that power from? Then we wonder why businesses leave?

Not necessarily. Often, truth is totally one-sided. There is no denying the negative trajectory of CT's economy.

Things take time, sometimes decades. But you can't tell anybody here that CT is doing better now than 10 or 20 years ago. It's doing worse, or a lot worse.

Why is one a naysayer if she/he tells the truth, however negative?
I have every right to give my opinion just like you. This is especially important to me since my taxes have gone to bailout a number of financial institutions that were "too big to fail". You do not have to agree with my opinion but you should not be questioning my right to say it.

I mention the naysayers because there are some that do nothing but complain here. Some even seem to delight in any and every bit of negative news. I am equally sick of having to respond to them. I know are state is not perfect and that changes need to be made but I do not believe that it is the end of the world or even close to it. Jay

Old 05-21-2016, 11:23 AM

138 posts, read 116,238 times
We did it Reddit.

Some juvenile jail staff forced to work 18-hour shifts after layoffs | The CT Mirror

Old 05-21-2016, 11:37 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
18 hour shifts to manager a program of 40 students ( or whatever they're calked)? Something seems fishy here, I suspect they're working 18 hour shifts for political bargaining, not out of necessity (unless the staff is only 3-4 people).

Also, what's the efficacy of this program ? Anyone know of any recidivism stats for kids who go through this program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut