Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 02:30 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
US News is a joke and is for almost every ranking. If you want to know which states have the best quality of life, google Human Development Index.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
US News is a joke and is for almost every ranking. If you want to know which states have the best quality of life, google Human Development Index.
I never heard of it but it ranks the states how I think a state should be ranked. Good news, MA #1, CT is #2 on this list. I did look up who is doing this and they are based in Brooklyn so they probably have a liberal lean.

So I guess if you think conservative values (like low taxes, no or little gun control etc.) are a good thing you should go with US News. But if you think good schools, strong gun control laws, good healthcare and low crime are important go with the Human Development Index.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:41 PM

266 posts, read 245,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I never heard of it but it ranks the states how I think a state should be ranked. Good news, MA #1, CT is #2 on this list. I did look up who is doing this and they are based in Brooklyn so they probably have a liberal lean.

So I guess if you think conservative values (like low taxes, no or little gun control etc.) are a good thing you should go with US News. But if you think good schools, strong gun control laws, good healthcare and low crime are important go with the Human Development Index.

It's just another article, anyone can take it for what it's worth. I don't think anyone is making any life decisions with the information.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:45 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Thats too bad... CT was # 1 in HDI for years...

Let the gradual decline commence.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:55 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times
Iowa is not a low tax state. If we don't watch out, Hartford will be supplanted by Des Moines, IA as the Insurance capital of the US. Des Moines is an interesting city, growing at a good pace, but spending a lot of money on public spaces. Its very family friendly with pretty good schools. Its following a similar growth pattern that Minneapolis did. I dont really disagree with the assessment this time. They picked a state that is on the rise, and not for the typical "get rich quick" methods that some other states have used.

Also education is improving in a lot of areas of the country right now. The Northeast is sinking so much money into salaries and pensions, with tax revenue tightening, that they cannot give the advanced facilities of elsewhere. It doesn't suprise me if our numbers our dropping.

You don't see the STEM facilities up this way that you do in many of these growth areas... read up on some of the wealthy districts in Dallas for examples. If we are trying to prepare our children for the future, these facilities help.

The baseline education is great up here though.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:03 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
lol.

Malloy Pitches Delta to Move HQ to Connecticut Following Backlash

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...FlowFB_CTBrand

Old 03-01-2018, 06:17 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
lol.

Hmm ... But what if it works???

Old 03-01-2018, 07:48 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times
Quote:
lol.

Unless he is going to fund tripling the size of Bradley Airport.. not a chance in heck. Airline co's like having their HQs where they have hubs and major aircraft maintenance centers.

I am sure he could make up some new taxes to pay for the expansion.. so who knows, maybe that is Malloy's plan afterall.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:50 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
Unless he is going to fund tripling the size of Bradley Airport.. not a chance in heck. Airline co's like having their HQs where they have hubs and major aircraft maintenance centers.

I am sure he could make up some new taxes to pay for the expansion.. so who knows, maybe that is Malloy's plan afterall.
1.5-4 billion upgrade with new runways, terminal expansion and more. Hartford need upgrade too because Delta want nice city

Old 03-01-2018, 08:56 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
lol.

Get a hold of yourself Malloy. Maybe Waterbury has a chance .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut