Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 06:06 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's a very distorted representation of the Massachusetts automobile excise tax.

Year 1 is 90% of sticker price at 2.5%
Year 2 is 60% of sticker price at 2.5%
Year 3 is 40% of sticker price at 2.5%
Year 4 is 25% of sticker price at 2.5%
Year 5 and beyond is 10% of sticker price at 2.5%

Your $25K Honda Civic pays $562.50 in year one, $375 year two, $250 year three, $156.25 year four, and $62.50 beyond that.

In Massachusetts, the first year is expensive. It quickly drops after that. That's nothing like the Connecticut nonsense where you pay the full tax on the nominal book value of the car forever.

This is all mandated by the Proposition 2 1/2 referendum passed many decades ago. Unlike Connecticut, Massachusetts has a ballot initiative mechanism to stop the state from taxing everything to death. The state has had no choice but to exercise fiscal restraint for many decades. The flat personal income tax gives everyone an equal stake in the system. Blue collar voters oppose state income tax hikes at least as much as white collar professionals.
Exactly this. The formula JayCT shared is not accurate.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:23 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
That's a very distorted representation of the Massachusetts automobile excise tax.

Your $25K Honda Civic pays $562.50 in year one, $375 year two, $250 year three, $156.25 year four, and $62.50 beyond that.

In Massachusetts, the first year is expensive. It quickly drops after that. That's nothing like the Connecticut nonsense where you pay the full tax on the nominal book value of the car forever.

This is all mandated by the Proposition 2 1/2 referendum passed many decades ago. Unlike Connecticut, Massachusetts has a ballot initiative mechanism to stop the state from taxing everything to death. The state has had no choice but to exercise fiscal restraint for many decades. The flat personal income tax gives everyone an equal stake in the system. Blue collar voters oppose state income tax hikes at least as much as white collar professionals.
Why Connecticut can’t be same as Massachusetts

Old 10-26-2017, 06:35 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly this. The formula JayCT shared is not accurate.
I think the basic answer is even if CT doesn't have the highest taxes/fees on cars we are likely in the top 5 and a reduction would be a good idea.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:35 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:

How am I distorting anything? The OP I was responding to was ONLY talking about taxes on a brand new car, not what you pay 5 years down the road. The calculation I made was correct. The first year the buyer would pay more in Massachusetts than they would in Connecticut. The tax goes down in Massachusetts after year one but it also goes down in Connecticut too since the car depreciates in value every year. Again I stand by my calculation and statement. Jay

Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How am I distorting anything? The OP I was responding to was ONLY talking about taxes on a brand new car, not what you pay 5 years down the road. The calculation I made was correct. The first year the buyer would pay more in Massachusetts than they would in Connecticut. The tax goes down in Massachusetts after year one but it also goes down in Connecticut too since the car depreciates in value every year. Again I stand by my calculation and statement. Jay
Let's pick West Hartford. Here's their web site talking about automobile taxes:
https://www.westhartfordct.gov/gov/d...ce/default.asp

I see:
Quote:
37.00 mills for motor vehicles (pertained to bills due July 1, 2016 and January 1, 2017)
I also see:
Quote:
As you may know, the Town of West Hartford delayed mailing the motor vehicle bills due to the uncertainty concerning possible legislation which could result in a change to the uniform state-wide motor vehicle mill rate. Unfortunately, the State budget is still uncertain and the Town can no longer postpone the issuance of motor vehicle tax bills.
Tax bills will be mailed on October 6th and the due date is November 1st, 2017. The last day to pay without penalty is Friday December 1st. The bill is based on the current State legislation of 32 mills. Should this change when the final State budget is adopted, it may be necessary to adjust your tax levy and issue a supplemental tax bill at a later date.

I had lots of university level math courses. I'm pretty sure that a $37 mill rate for 2017 is higher than a $25 mill rate. I'm not familiar with the auto part of the Connecticut "property tax relief" law. Even if it's 70% of $37 instead of straight blue book, that's still $25.90. In my universe, $25.90 > $25.00.

Nobody knows what the 2018 car tax will be but it's unlikely to remain at $32. Everybody in West Hartford is going to be nailed with another supplemental tax bill.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:02 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
One change I would like to see with the car tax is an exemption for cars 10 years old or older. If not an exemption perhaps a max tax like $25 per year.

I am still paying $100 a year on a 12 year old car and $100 a year on a 10 year old motorcycle. Now $200 in tax won't bankrupt me, but I think some of our lower income residents in high mill rate cities would benefit from an exemption. It would also reduce paperwork, mailing costs, and admin costs to some extent for each town/city.

It could also reduce some of the admin costs at the DMV since that department is responsible for telling the towns/cities who has registered cars so they can assess the property tax.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Let's pick West Hartford. Here's their web site talking about automobile taxes:
https://www.westhartfordct.gov/gov/d...ce/default.asp

I see:

I also see:

I had lots of university level math courses. I'm pretty sure that a $37 mill rate for 2017 is higher than a $25 mill rate. I'm not familiar with the auto part of the Connecticut "property tax relief" law. Even if it's 70% of $37 instead of straight blue book, that's still $25.90. In my universe, $25.90 > $25.00.

Nobody knows what the 2018 car tax will be but it's unlikely to remain at $32. Everybody in West Hartford is going to be nailed with another supplemental tax bill.
You are picking a town with the highest allowable mill rate for motor vehicles. Only 25 of the 169 towns in the state are that high. The remaining 144 are lower, many are significantly lower.

Neighboring Farmington's mill rate is 25.78 so the tax on that $25,000 car would be $451.15. Greenwich has a mill rate of 11.202 so the tax would be just $196.04. It all depends on which town you live in. Jay

Old 10-26-2017, 11:18 AM

610 posts, read 532,982 times
The state Senate has passed the proposed bipartisan budget by the veto-proof vote of 33-3, it goes to the House today. It includes no major general tax increases but several small ones. A couple of surprises:

---the estate tax exemption will be increased to the Federal level by 2020.

---Social Security income will be exempt from tax for individuals with income under $75,000 (was $50,000) and couples under $100,000 (was $60,000). Above those thresholds, 25% of Social Security income will be taxed, as it is now.

---Income tax on pensions and annuities is being phased out (over 7 years-by 2025)!! This would apply to those under the income thresholds above for Social Security ($75,000/$100,000). Above that, you're still out of luck. This surprised me, I was following the tax debate but this came out of nowhere.

It's interesting how the legislature was able to address some of these "competitive" issues in light of the fiscal mess we're in, trying to keep affluent retirees here. Of course, there's still plenty of time to repeal them.

The above are based on my quick reading of the huge law, so take with a grain of salt. I haven't seen an authoritative summary yet online.

After 117-day marathon, Senate passes bipartisan budget | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 10-26-2017, 11:47 AM

This morning the Connecticut House also approved the Bipartisan Budget and with a veto-proof majority. This all happened very fast. I do not believe there has been any independent review of it. I just hope they all know what they were voting on. Now we will see what Malloy has to say. We are not out of the woods quite yet on this. Jay

House Approves Bipartisan Budget With Veto-Proof Majority - Hartford Courant

Old 10-26-2017, 12:00 PM

845 posts, read 680,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This morning the Connecticut House also approved the Bipartisan Budget and with a veto-proof majority. This all happened very fast. I do not believe there has been any independent review of it. I just hope they all know what they were voting on. Now we will see what Malloy has to say. We are not out of the woods quite yet on this. Jay

House Approves Bipartisan Budget With Veto-Proof Majority - Hartford Courant
If Malloy vetoes it, they will just override it. The budget impasse seems to be over. It's very unlikely that this one will fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut